1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-Tech needs higher spring rate???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by nzracer, May 16, 2013.

1. nzracer

nzracer New Member

Hi Guys,
    My first propper post on here, I figure some of you might be using K-tech in your race bikes and I was wondering if anyone has found that they need to run abnormally high sping rates with this suspension compared to ohlins etc.

Earlier in the year I was riding a 2011 GSXR600 with K-tech gas forks and rear shock. I had to go to 11.5kg front springs and a 12.0kg spring in the rear to get the stability I needed under acceleration and braking.

Now I am only about 175lbs so these rates seem high to me and my previous bikes haven't needed that high a spring rate with stock or ohlins suspension. I'm getting a K-tech shock for my R6 (love that shock) but wondering about trying lighter springs with different damping instead.

Has anyone else encountered this with K-tech suspension?

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Why not call EDR and ask him. He's a K-Tech dealer and is providing support for it too.

3. nzracer

nzracer New Member

I'm not sure who EDR is but I'm on the other side of the world - just thought some other racers might have encountered this before.
    Cheers.

4. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

I am currently running a 1.0 front and 1.05 rear on my 12' 1000. I will be going to a 1.05 front and a 1.1 rear

I had 1.1 front and 1.15 on my 05 1000 with ohlins so I am comparable and possibly softer than what I had before. I am 175 lbs

5. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

we haven't found that. Most our R6 racers using .925 to 1.00 rarely 1.05 and bigger.

Same on GSXR.. most guys running .95-1.05

The big bikes we tend to run .95 to 1.15 depending on bike, rider weight and riding style/preference.

Most our 2011+ GSXR riders running 1.0~1.05 fork springs in front and 10.0~10.5 rears at @170-190bs. Sounds like something in set up in not right. Find a GOOD local K-Tech suspension shop (You can email them for your area) and try to fine tune, your rates sound very off. Good luck

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

PM user IOMTT I think he has a shop in NZ.

7. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

PM sent

8. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Way too much spring in front in my opinion.