1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone a pilot?

Discussion in 'General' started by GREG#22, Nov 7, 2003.

1. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

No disrespect to pilots or would-be pilots meant.

(It seemed funny at the time, even if lacking realism.)

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It was. all you needed to add was a mention of Xaus. :)

3. GREG#22

GREG#22 Well-Known Member

this is some funny stuff i talked to mark b and i think i am going to try and go up with him just to see if for fun it would be

4. gocr6

gocr6 i fall down....

haha. yeah do that greg. you will never want to fly again. markb doesnt really take it easy on the new guys.....:D

5. GREG#22

GREG#22 Well-Known Member

that is wrong John just wrong:D i just now got your crazy sense of humor+0 GOOOOOOOO aussie on your ass oh shit:eek:

6. MD-11

MD-11 Well-Known Member

my recomendation (Stay away far away) unless your one of those people that just love airplanes and don't mind not making any money unless your lucky to get on with a major. As far as the A&P goes you'll be working midnights for 10 to 15 years with weekdays off (Plus alot of other crap that no one tells you about) Most of the guys i work with are back in school to try to get out of aviation.

7. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

Um..... I've been an Air Traffic Controller for 10 years, and I have no idea what you just said! :D

Anyways, there are about 2000000000000 x 10 to the n'th power more pilots out there then there is airplanes to fly them, thanks to our good friend Osama, Bill Clinton, and that fake-ass, bullshit internet economy of the late 90's. So my advice is, don't waste your time and money getting your pilots license.

Instead, come be an Air Traffic Controller.....

Please..... Sweet mother of god..... Please. If you have a pulse, and one good eye.... Please.... We're not looking for much. And it pays more. And great job security. And you get to boss prissy pilots around all day! ;)

Pretty please?

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Thanks John, I spit coffee all over the place.............:D

Hey Greg, How far are you from Reform Alabama?
    I have a friend over there that has a Chezk L-39 and a coupla Aero Commanders and a Cheyanne, and a T-6. He may take you up for a ride or two..If we could time it right.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2003
  9. Dan Montgomery

Dan Montgomery Well-Known Member

Hey Greg, If you ever make it up to Florence, AL give me a shout and we will go flying. I used to work at a charter outfit and might be able to get you a ride in a Lear or Gulfstream if their not too busy. When I was there we used to take the doors off the JetRanger and chase cows at the boss's farm.:D

10. BAMA

BAMA Well-Known Member

there is alot of people that fly that i have met and that SCARES ME:eek: i always wondered who was up there flying around;)

11. eurobiketrash

eurobiketrash Well-Known Member

Most everyone on the BBS is a Pilot. They pile it here they pile it there. More piles of b--bs than you can shake a stick at:D :Poke:

12. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

Greg, some of these replys are correct, some aren't, some are missing ALOT of information. Call me if you are serious about this as a job, lots to talk about.

Peter Hupperich
    Captain B-737NG
    Delta Airlines

13. BAMA

BAMA Well-Known Member

I just have one question:
    Is it easier to make a safe pilot fast or make a fast pilot safe?;)

14. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

I'm a Private Pilot and enjoy my time in the sky. By preference, I like aerobatic flying because I like the precision, and exacting nature of control at the outer edge. This requires 100% of your attention and focus, much like motorcycle track riding.

If I had enough money, I'd own a Christan Eagle (bi-plane). I will get one but probably after I spend less time at the race track. I also like Cessna's and have dreamed of owning a plane from my favorite TV show... "Sky King" (Cessna 310) :) I just can't justify owning a plane for travel, as I don't travel much. As much as I like flying, it's easy to get bored straight and level. I like to "Roll My Own". :D

I don't try to turn things I enjoy doing into jobs for pay, that would be self-defeating for me. I like being a consumer as it allows me great freedom to do as I choose... as long as I have the money. Ha ha. Get rich first than purchase a Learjet, but I'd settle for a Cessna Citation.

Cheers and have fun ! :beer:

15. tcasby

tcasby Banned

I got my PP Helicopter about 7 years ago, along with my PP and IFR airplane.

7 years ago dual on an R22 was $160/hr. about 8K for a PP. Insurance costs for the R22 have skyrocketed so I believe it's significantly more expensive now. Turbine time (Bell Jetranger) costs $500/hr dual and solo is generally not available unless you have a bunch of turbine time.

About the only fun (affordable) thing I could do with an R22 rental was take people on low level city tours. Out of the question since 9/11 ( I believe; I haven't been current sense 98.)

I don't see how you could get the necessary turbine time for $40K, but a CFI for R22s or a job as a power line inspector or some such using R22s is possible.

16. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

17. jethromcb

jethromcb Goldmember

Why don't you save us the bandwith, Duc, and speak of only what you know about.

I am a pilot for a major and the money is awesome. I can bid a schedule where I may work only a few days a month. It is true that the BS level is extreme now, but the pros outweigh the cons 10:1. When I was getting started, I flight instructed all through college (a four year degree in anything is a must) to have enough hours to get to the commuters. Spend some years making nothing at that level and hopefully get to the majors after skipping around a bit. You may spend 10 years making a low wage (relative to bigger airline jobs but comparable to any other entry level job) but will spend the rest of your life with big 6 figure years and million dollar retirements. I understand that this ebbs and flows, but it is a fair representation of the career. I can pick a company from any sector that went belly-up, but in general it is a great profession. Because it takes a while to progress through the ranks, I wouldn't turn someone off to getting into the business now since by the time they get the required experience, there might be another high-demand period. Lots of people are avoiding the profession and that will lead to a big demand later.

18. etemplet

I know instructors from the 1977 era that have still not made it into the airlines. I listened to many of the plans and scheems to get hired by the airlines as flight engineers, steward/stewardess, just to get on the list. I also remember in the 1980s Delta dropped it requirements for college degrees siting the fact that personnel was harder to work with (among other things) :) .

I would consider this carreer (airline pilot) a pipe dream for many, and aviation does not pay well unless you are at the top echelon. It's a tough road and a sometimes dangerous road. Not any more dangerous than anything else, but I have a serious problem flying in conditions I don't agree with, or with equipment that is not functioning properly. That happens. Perhaps not at the Airline level, but it happens.

Whatever you choose, choose well and don't ever give up. I think it would be a great carreer. Certainly good luck. :beer:

19. jethromcb

jethromcb Goldmember

I agree with that completely. Of course it is difficult to reach the desired level, just like in any other top profession. It is hard to become a doctor, etc. It is hard to become a pro ball player. Only a few make it to the top. That keeps a lot of people from even trying but also motivates a few to try even harder. It definitely isn't a career you just "decide" that you would like to do. I can only say that being an airline pilot is one of the few jobs that you can have a significant amount of time off, get paid very well, have great fun on layovers at cool places (not all the time, but enough) and have a dynamic operating environment. You also leave your job at the airport when you head home- out of site and out of mind.

20. etemplet

I remember reading some 20 years ago made by the more experienced airline pilots (read older in age :) ) having to wear Tri-focal glasses so they could see the insturment panel, read charts and such, and see outside as well. Funny thing is...I'm almost to that point myself, having just purchased some reading glasses.

How many airline pilots have to retire early due to the requirements of the 6 month physicals? Is this a problem? Just curious as I think we all experience a deterioration of health as we get older. It would certainly be a concern of mine.

Besides, you guys are just glorified bus drivers anyway. :D Just kidding of course. Many lives depend on your experience and judgement.