1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6r VS R6s

Discussion in 'General' started by MES Racing, May 13, 2013.

1. MES Racing

MES Racing Well-Known Member

In 2005 I raced a R6 which is basically a R6s. I no longer race, but have been doing track days on a R6r for the last year. I don't know about anyone else but to me the R6s seemed a lot easier to ride fast, than the R6r. It's actually got me considering trying to trade my R6r for a R6s. Any opinions?

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Current R6s doesn't have the same front end as the 05 you raced. Other than that it's about the same. Pull the forks from an R6r and put them on your S if you switch back.

edit: Which new version are you riding? 06/07 or 08+?

3. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Stick with the newer one. Work with a suspension tuner for a day and have them twiddle the knobs.. it has very good stuff, even stock. If you spend some time on it you should be able to have that thing feeling like an extension of your body, very quickly.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the 03-04 r6 was a ROCKIN bike. Many (in the know) would even say better in some ways than the current r6. It has amazing front end feel, and basically similar midrange power to the current r6r (3rd gen bike). I loved that bike. all the 2nd gens. 03-04-05. As stated above, the "S" model is an 04 r6.. not the 05 that has inverted forks.
    The new bike is nice, and in capable hands will go faster, but damn that 2nd generation r6 has that "old pair of jeans" feel.

5. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

This.

6. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Yep.

Last year the R6s was the No 5 plate holder in CMRA endurance, and they were bullet proof. I raced one bought from Melk man for a year, had a good friend race it for another year or two and the thing just kept on ticking. Great bike.

7. MES Racing

I'm riding a 07.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

this is PART of the issue with the "less feel" deal. An 08+ is better even though at first glance they look same (search, lots of discussion). Source an 08+ lower triple clamp. this will help .. some..

loved that bike :( Glad to hear others got lots of fun from it too :)

9. MES Racing

10. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

I love my baby, I did have an 08 R6R and really liked it but the suspension was stock and a few bolt ons - this bike is far from it and has much more goodies while being well sorted. A lil down on top end pwr compared to my 08 but she pulls very hard and smooth as well as handles awesome. Its also lighter (or feels that way) in transitions and overall feel.

I did think of selling it to buy a newer R6 or ZX6 (09+) but can't find it in me to do it. Nor have I found a bike to make me want to sell it :rolleyes: (someone have a nice 08+ model for sale ??)

Attached Files:

• R6s.JPG
      R6s.JPG
      File size:
      185.2 KB
      Views:
    • R6s 2.JPG
      R6s 2.JPG
      File size:
      191.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  11. caferace

caferace No.

Mark Miller (IoMTT and Macau racer) swears by his '03 R6 for those exact reasons for training.

-jim

12. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

I bet MESS would work out a trade with you.

13. MES Racing

Yea, I wouldn't mind finding someone with an 03-05 or a "S" model that they would like to trade for a 07 "R" model track prepped plus all the original street plastics and clean title.

14. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Please excuse my ignorance on all things Yamaha. 2003 shows a YZF R6 and a YZF 600R. I assume you guys are not talking about the YZF 600R, right?

I don't understand the R6R versus R6S discussion. What's the difference there?

Edit: OK, I think I figured it out. There was an R6 in 2003 and 2004. In 2005 it was still called the R6, but they made a few changes to the geometry. People in the know seem to prefer the 2003-2004. At one point they started making an R6R, with inverted forks and a more track-focused engine. What was the original R6 became the R6S. Is that about right?

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  15. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

600R is like, that sport touring model they had for a while. R6 is the sportbike.

16. MES Racing

Yea, you pretty much have it. When Yamaha came out with the more race focused bike in 2006, they continued to produce the 2003-2004 version and called it a R6S.

17. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

IMO the newer the R6 model, the better.

18. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

We're you riding motorcycles on the track in 03-04?

19. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

And before the R6 it WAS a sportbike. Anybody remember the Thundercat? Oi-yee! It's like Kawasaki rebadging a ZX model to ZZR when a new design ZX comes out. Getting their money's worth out of the tooling :D

20. MES Racing

Anyone have a 03-04 R6 or R6s that they would be interested in trading for a 07 R6r?