1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

747 Cargo Plane goes down leaving Afghanistan

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Lawn Dart, Apr 29, 2013.

1. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Difference being that one completely rested on the shoulders of the asshole pilot. This could have been a mechanical failure of the aircraft, failure of the load rigging, etc.

2. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Even worse w/ the BUF

was that it was NOT an airshow, but a final, final flight checkout type deal to try and rope in the stupid ass Captain who had rung up a shitload of "Dumbass" awards. Killed a bunch of folks onboard w/ his cowboy act. How they never clipped that asshole's wings is beyond me. Probably some Senator's son type shit...

3. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

DAYUM.....I caught the dash cam footage....my heart was in my throat when it stalled.

RIP to the crew.

Load shift makes sense from what I saw, the way it twisted and flopped, but I guess that could be windshear as some are saying...???

Man, I calibrate all the pallett lock testers that test the cargo tiedown systems on every C-130....we've recently had some issues with a new model from a vendor...fancy smancy. I guess all the other customers send them back to the vendor for calibration...well, I decided to cal mine in house....

Bought all the load cells, fixtures, etc....called and got their process documents and tolerances.....

Long story short....those things were JUNK, and they were removed...we are now back to the old faithful hydraulic units....flawless.

Point: Load-locking is critical. I'm glad I took my job seriously.....this video may be what happens when its not taken seriously.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  4. CharlieY

Also blows me away about the dash footage.....NEVER A WORD....how the heck do you watch that and not make a sound...just weird.

5. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

In afganistan... I guess they are used to things blowing up....

6. CharlieY

Yea, talk about being "tempered".

The guy does say "FACK" once, and his dog yelps and he quiets him....the guy is english.

Maybe he was trying to keep the video un-cluttered and held his emotion.

That is some truly amazing footage.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's also possible that they don't understand what is happening while watching the airplane stall.

8. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

I am never getting on an airplane again.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm never getting on a cargo 747 flying fully loaded out of Bagram!

10. CharlieY

Possible, but it sounds like you havent seen the vid I'm talking about....I'll post a link if you want (and i dont get shot).....he watches the plane burn, drives around, quiets his dog.....but really says nothing....not even a gasp!

"Every day business here in Bagram...humdedum"

When that thing falls, its like a brick!

11. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

So here's what's amazing to me... The video is dramatic, but after working on 747-400s for 3 years, the sheer size of that thing doing what it did is unreal.

That plane is over 230 feet long, 67 feet high (at the tippy top of the tail) and I forget how wide... Absolutely massive...

edit: I lied - civilian version is 63ft. tall, and it is approx. 211 feet wide.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  12. CharlieY

Yeah man, big 10-4...they are.....I worked assembly at Boeing, and until you've stood next to one, there is no context.

Unbelievable....watching that thing flounder like that.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I watched one video yesterday that was shot from inside a car.

14. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

about to get my multi engine rating in the next week or two.. definitely a reminder about how things can go wrong no matter how well you think you've prepared.

Glad it was quick for them.

15. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

you are both talking about the same video.

16. Aaron71

Aaron71 BEEMER

I'm boots on ground at BAF! I saw the plane when it was parking upon arrival! Let me tell you this...when a C5 or 747 lands on BAF you can see there Tail section from every point on the base...it's huge!! BAF Is flat surrounded by unreal mountains that are bigger than the ones at Miller in Utah!

Landing and taking off in a C17 is very eventful in BAF and KAF!! You don't even want to know about the C-130! :wow:

17. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

What are they saying there about this....?

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

The downside is that Oh Shit feeling took about 30 seconds too long.

Godspeed to those poor men and their families....what a tragic way to go.

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I typed, deleted, typed and then finally deleted again the exact same inquiry.....speechless the whole time except when he finally said "F$&(" then the dog whelp. Kinda thought that was weird too.

20. CharlieY

Glad to hear it wasnt just me, thanx.

I've reacted worse spilling coffee while driving. :D