1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Power Cup vs. Dunlop D212/211 GP Pro ??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by almano, Apr 17, 2013.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

From what it sounds like all the tires out there are damn good. It's a matter of preference and what your bike is set up for. I've had guys try set "A" and write it off simply because their bike setup was suited more to set "B", which is what they swear by. Yet it had nothing to do with the tire.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

and there you have it almano .. the reply you had been waiting for. A long time expert rider who has been on the UK dunlop for years, pretty much saying the Michelin CUP is every bit as good for him at least. With further documentation from Todd about what Mike "Thermosman" Fitzgerald said about the michelin cups.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. MELK-MAN

UK dot dunlops.. NOT gpa spec ama tire.. Nothing to ponder.. its a fucking fact ;) Fast guys going fast on UK tires, fast guys going "not as fast" on the spec tire.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  4. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

Ok Ok we get it lol. Just kidding.. really appreciate the testimonials. Of course our experiences may vary but it helps a lot hearing it from proven racers.

5. MELK-MAN

please keep in mind my primary mission is not to persuade racers to use "X" brand tire.. but to persuade racers to chose ANY brands race tire EXCEPT the ama spec dunlop for club racing (wera/ccs). Not that i have anything against dunlop! on the contrary, but that the spec tire is just not as good as other options.

2nd part of said mission is to inform as many that will listen, that the michelin cup rubber is as good as anything currently offered by anyone..

6. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

Melka do you use the 180 rear or the 190 rear on your r6?

7. MELK-MAN

when we had the power 1 i was going back and forth. But the Power CUP 190 is THREE POUNDS lighter than the power One 190 (lightest of any 190) and it's all i use anymore. That said, the 180 power cup is obviously lighter now too, and i suspect some riders will prefer the 180 still.. but i use nothing but 190's now.

8. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

I dont get free tires and I I am just a dude that likes to race

I know 3 guys that switched from the cup to USA slicks - they went 2 seconds faster at every track.

I saw a guy run GPa's he crashed and went back to the cups
    Another kid went from cups to GPA's, went faster and won all his races.

I run the UK front and USA slick rear. I went 3 seconds faster last year at Every track then when I ran the power one, I have tried the the cup as well.

I have used the USA slick front, I ran 0.2 slower.

To each their own.

times for perspective on a 05' GSXR 1000 with 20mm valving and a prlx shock. stock motor and rear sets

1.14.2 summit
    1.30.2 VIR
    1.29.9 BARBER (UK rear at GNF)
    1.26.0 NJMP

I think there is places the USA tire is better and times when the UK rear is better. The USA front is pretty close to the pace of the UK front but a little off. And 99% of people using them will never know.

So for $450 a set(UK front/US rear) AND contingency I prefer the feel of the Dunlop.

IMO

9. HRC-E.B.

HRC-E.B. Well-Known Member

From every source that can be found, it seems pretty clear that, that from a PERFORMANCE/LAP TIME standpoint, the Michelin Cup DOTs are every bit a match (and then some) for even the highly-regarded UK Dunlop DOTs.

What about durability? My bike set-up skills are less than perfect and I stopped running Pirellis (which I liked) because no matter what I did or which compound I used, I could not stop tearing the rears to shreds. My experience has always been that wear at the rear was a problem with most tires, but especially with Pirellis and US Dunlops.

The only "cure" I have found to date used to be the UK Dunlop 6680 rear, which provided all the performance I could ask form, but had extraordinary durability, which almost made the heinous price worth it in the end. (I used to be racing 600s at the time.)

So my question is: where does the Power Cup rear stand from a DURABILITY standpoint? I will be running a R1 at track days this year, in open track formats, and am hoping to get A LOT of laps from my tires. What should I expect from the Power Cups from a wear standpoint on a literbike, running the equivalent of mid-pack amateur racers' pace on my R1? How sensitive are they to set-up? How many laps can I expect to get out of them, compared to a 6680 UK Dunlop?

Thanks for letting me know!

10. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I would imagine the 6680 cannot be beat in terms of grip/longevity by any tire. I pretty much ran that compound exclusively for a 2 years.

My buddy on the cups with an R6 complained they were sensitive to set up and he chewed through tires trying to find pressures/settings that worked.

I would just hop on my UK tires and just ride with no problems even when they were worn out and sliding.

11. HRC-E.B.

HRC-E.B. Well-Known Member

That's kind of my fear. It's just that given the price of these damn UK Dunlops, if I can get close to that same longevity (I hear the Michelins keep working well even as they wear almost completely), then it does make a difference price-wise. It's just that feedback is hard to come by regarding those tires on bigger bikes.

12. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Is it ok to peek it here?

13. MELK-MAN

some guys i know are running a rear cup all day, multiple races, and the rain sipes are totally gone on the predominant side. The only time i am seeing lots of cold tear (even on my own bikes) is if it is wicked cold out, and the track is cold, and we use too soft a compound. Although the "A" soft compound is supposed to be used in temps below 65F or so, the B rear works better at some tracks when cold. Oddly enough, the "A" soft that was supposed to be used when cold, works awesome at Homestead/MIami and PBIR when it's 95F in the shade.. slow corner tracks, and the "B" just doesn't heat up on the sides enough. But i have seen VERY few setup related issues. Thermosman was telling riders that were on the dunlop UK tire to just put the michelin on, no changes. Stefano Mesa was winning some races down here last year on them.

I don't run mine that long.. but i have ran them till the sipes are gone.. it's about 1/2-3/4 second difference from brand new fresh rubber, to a rear that has 12 laps or 25 laps. There really is little difference after the first 12 laps or so. they just taper off, and you can keep on going. New is ALWAYS better, but do most racers NEED to put on tires every couple races just to get the 1/2 - 3/4 second back ?

i will agree without any argument the UK dunlop rear wears better..

better keep your head down ! :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  14. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Thermosman man gave me very positive feedback about the Power Cups when I asked him what tire to run with the current setup he built for me.

15. Unbroken13

Unbroken13 Member

I hate to be a newb douche bag.... But.... What is a michelin cup?

16. MELK-MAN

latest michelin race compound, named after a spec tire series in England (i think ?) where the michelin is the spec tire.

http://www.mymichelin.co.uk/power-cup

Home › Power cup › Ride In The Michelin Powe...
    Stuff
    Ride In The Michelin Power Cup

Image: Michelin ManWhat is it all about?

It is about a Championship run at our Hottrax Motorsport race meetings and supported by Michelin Tyres.
    It is about great value racing with substantial cash prizes and building a community in the paddock.
    Above all it is about a fantastic opportunity to you enjoy competitve racing at a high level.

17. Unbroken13

Unbroken13 Member

I haven't seen that tire for sale... I need a new set and I'm gearing up for track days... I am a auto tech and I run michelins on all my cars... I just don't know which michelin I want for my bike... I do a little street riding so I need a tire that can do both... Was looking at the power ones.... Even though there a little more of a track tire... Sorry about thread jacking... Lol... Any opinions are welcome

18. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

Easy with the "any opinions are welcome" ...

Around here you're probably gunna get one you don't like lol

I just need black and round because I'm old and slow

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

lol... my buddy got a tire that was black and new... but not round. Too bad he found that out on the warmup lap and in the first 3 turns of his race. :wow:

Beware of buying your tires over the internets! :FL: