1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Power Cup vs. Dunlop D212/211 GP Pro ??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by almano, Apr 17, 2013.

1. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Haha, I just woke up and thought I would be funny. Now I need to find that beer.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

ya never need an excuse to crack a beer, it's always "beer-thirty" SOMEWHERE in the world.. but waking up is a pretty good excuse.
    :beer:

3. banzai132

Oh BTW, can you see different spray patterns on the injectors that you clean? ie, different model year injectors from the same model bike?

4. MELK-MAN

Yes. The 06-07 r6 uppers have a wider spray pattern than the 08+ r6 uppers. (one example we can see clearly on the machine)

what's that got to do with tires ?? gonna get me in trouble.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  5. banzai132

6. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

I run Michelin...always have since the Power Race was out. Never spoke a word for or against running the Dunlop spec tire.

On the subject for once, though.....what about the slicks that the superbike class runs? Do they compare to the other slicks on the market, like the Pirelli WSBK runs?

I saw 1.51's in the Daytona race by the SS class, and 1.37's by the SBK guys, are they running the same configuration and because it's such a fast track that there's a 12 second+ difference in the times, or is there something else I'm missing besides the difference in the classes?

7. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

i may be mistaken, but i was under the impression that the Superbikes ran the UK, front and rear.

8. MELK-MAN

good question, i only know they run 17" slicks but not sure if US or UK made. Bottom line though, there is little in common in the 17" slicks and the US made ama spec supersport tire.

vstate60, keep in mind that at Daytona the superbikes run the short course (different 2nd half of the infield and no turn 2 banking), the 600's run the classic long course (longer lap time even if ran by 1000's). Obviously the top 1000 riders would turn faster lap times on the long course, but the short course is "shorter".

was able to google this info from the ama site for ama superbike : Tires: Dunlop KR106 (Front: 125/80R-17) and KR108 (195/65R-17) and yes, appears they are UK made http://dunlopracing.com/tires-products/slicks/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  9. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

I think most sbk guys (front 7-8) prefer the UK front US rear at most tracks , I know that's what most ran at Mid Oh last year

10. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

I'm running pirelli DOT on my 600 & love them.

A lot of fast guys/girls here on the west coast are running pirelli as well... Something to think about.

11. almano

almano The crazy Hungarian

So, guys.
    What the conclusion is? How the Power Cup DOT's compare to other DOT race tires like Pirelli Supercorsa, or N-Tec? :)

12. MELK-MAN

that wasn't the original question.. and you started the thread ! LOL
    it was dunlop vs michlin cups. and did you not read the thread ? I would have hoped my comments about what Thermosman had to say, as well as results AND some guys that posted about trying them recently (and liking them and having been on other brands before) would bear some weight .. i mean seriously, what kind of replies are you specifically asking for ?? someone to give you proof positive, with studies by a significant sample size showing one brand is clearly superior ?? ain't gonna happen.

Anyone with any knowledge of current tires today will tell you a good rider will go fast on ANY of the GOOD rubber (this does not include the ama spec tire).
    Michelin, pirelli, uk ntec. And if you don't believe me, take notes at a well contested WERA or CCS event to view there are guys going fast on all the top brands.
    The michelin tires are amazing, especially compared to what they offered in recent years.. but just buy a different brand for 3 race weekends and see how it goes.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  13. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Just make it simple..

The Cups are the best DOT you can buy. Go buy a set.

14. almano

almano The crazy Hungarian

I just wanted to know if the Cup DOT tires as good as the others mentioned. I mean You can run the same laptimes like with the dunlops, or Supercorsas. ;)
    I know Power Slick is fantastic. I think Better than any other slick now on the market what You can buy retail.

15. MELK-MAN

bro, i don't know what else needs said here about this.. LOL
    but it's a question that simply can not easily be answered.. IF it was that easy, there would be one tire that EVERYONE would use because it's clearly the best tire. but there is enough information in this thread and many others that have come up about the new michelin cup's to get an educated answer that should keep you from being worried you are wasting money trying them.

You simply are not going to get a rider that is good enough to really push each brand hard, spend the time to make the little bike changes needed to make each work to the best of the tires potentia, back to back to back... and be able to show with lap times one is a clear winner or that the cup is obviously equal. It won't happen.

What i DO know, is what those who have tried the tires have said.. no complaints, they like the tire. Former AMA horizon award winner Brian Livengood was at Roebling road helping his guys out and needed tires a year ago. Dunlop wasn't there or was out of tires (i dont' remember but this story was relayed by Walt Shaefer to me).. He bought a set of cup "B" tires (vb front b rear), had been on dunlops most or all of his career (retired racer now top engine builder) and stated to Walt they were the best tires he ever rode. Now was he blowing smoke up Walt's ass ? i don't know.. and i never asked Brian about this but i will if i get the chance (he's usually down at Daytona CCS ROC helping out his guys Mark Miller JR., Jim Cohrs and other).

I personally like the DOT cups BETTER than the cup slicks in most cases. And i like to think of myself as reasonably fast and know a bit about setup and if a tire is good or not .. and having ridden the tires as much as anyone, that is my opinion about them. perhaps on a bigger bike, or if i took more time with the slick setup i might change my opinion. but in back to back rides, at the same track, on bikes i have raced since 2009, i am liking the dot rubber more than the slick in enough cases i just get dot's now.

16. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

Hey Melka, how long do the tires last for you. Again my pace is no where near yours just getting a feel for tire longevity. Currently I can go 2 rears for one front dunlop. I was able to use a set at CMP a few weekends ago but I was really pushing that rear so I'm thinking I can manage 2 rears in a weekend per one front. The ntecs do last longer than the ama spec but the ama front wears extremely well imo.

17. MELK-MAN

the ama spec front lasts, but the guys i race with (ccs fl/se regoin) come in with eyes as wide as saucers due to nearly crashing in many corners.. No exageration. I can vividly remember 2 riders in particular stopping and chatting with me on pit lane describing the near death experiences vs. the uk tire they are usually riding..
    SO.. the ama spec tire WILL obviously wear longer, cause you can't go anywhere near as fast as you would be if you were on other tires :)

I have YET to push a Michelin cup front.. I mean that with all sincerity. I am no Dane Westby, but i roll pretty good and i have never pushed the front to the point (even with 40 laps on the tire) where i said "oh shit.. tires done".. Never. And knock on wood i have not cr****d on them yet either. not once.
    NOW. That said, maybe if i did push the front i would win more races ! :) but i'm a chicken shit that way and like my bikes all purty.

In my opinion, myself and MOST of us replace front tires well before they are used up (any rider on any brand). Not all riders, i know some guys doing a few weekends on a front, but not going terribly fast, just having fun..
    One reason i know i'm changing tires a little sooner, is cause i have put 25 laps on a VB front, given it (basically given $25) to other riders and they put another WEEKEND on the tire. Some are racing on my take offs.. that said, i usually put a front tire on for 3 races, then use that tire for a practice day the next race round (handy having 2 bikes in this regard).

Rears ? yea. I use a rear every other race or so (some tracks 1 per 3 sprint races) when i'm trying to win or at least be up front with the likes of Santiago Villa, Stefano Mesa, Charlie Long, Fernando Silva, Ronnie Frias, Mark Miller, Jim Cohrs, Ricky Valdez, etc. (every one of the guys im racing compete in at least a few ama rounds ). Do i have to use that many rears ? nope, but with all the money i save NOT racing in AMA rounds i can afford it ! :)

18. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

im not fast, but i turn flats-1's at Tally. As i said earlier, for ME, ive been on the Dunlop UK Ntecs for 5 years (tried the spec tire, as has been stated, it fucking sux). I tried the Michelin DOT Cups a few weeks ago for the first time at Tally for the regional races. I hadnt ridden the Michelin at ALL prior to that weekend. I got all of about 10 laps Sunday morning before i went to race (needless to say, my confidence on a new to me manf. tire wasnt very high). Then came race time, and as usual, racing was in my head and as T-man told me "just ride the damn bike like you know how to ride!" and i didnt even think about the tires. After a blown green flag start, i set out to try and catch the leaders. I caught up to 4th place turning consistant low to mid 1:01's, and was being held up, ie: first race back in a year and just couldnt bring myself to "stuff" anyone, especially my buddy in front of me.

Having said all that, i didnt even feel i was pushing the tire, and was running less than a second off my fastest times there.

Went back a few weeks later and did a trackday just to get a feel for the longevity of the tires. My opinion is the same as what Thermosman had told me when he suggested to at least give them a try.

The DOT Michelin front, A) is actually a tad better than the UK Dunlop, and b) lasts every bit as long as the UK Dunlop.

The DOT Michelin REAR, is "just as good" as the UK Dunlop, but doesnt last "quite" as long. BUT, when it does start going off, is just like the UK Dunlop and still has that forward drive even when spinning that i fell in love with in the UK Dunlop.

My "tire buying habits" on the UK Dunlop was one front to 3 rears. Judging from what i'm looking at now, its one Michelin front to 2 Michelin rears. Which is STILL a no brainer, consdering a UK Dunlop rear Slick (at least the last one i bought) was $330. That is "almost" as much as an entire set of the CUPS.

To me, with prices that much less, and the performance is "as good" as the UK Dunlop, it was a no brainer. Im on Michelins now. :up:

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The answer to your question is quite simple.

Go with the tire that you can get track side support with and one which you gel well with that track side support. At that point if the tire you choose doesn't end up working for you, you'll at least know you had a ton of help to make that happen.

So you then go to the next one in the list and repeat. Eventually you'll either A) Realize they all are black and round and you are good on some and better on others or B) XYZ tire is the shit and that's all you ever want to run.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

and LOTS of fast guys run Dunlops here in the Southeast. Another point to ponder. :up: