1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Power Cup vs. Dunlop D212/211 GP Pro ??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by almano, Apr 17, 2013.

1. almano

almano The crazy Hungarian

Anyone has experience with both tires? Which is better and why?

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Do they even import the 212's? I think all I've seen on the RTS web site are the 211's.

I'm in the same boat (to try the Cups vs the GPA) but kept with Dunlop for my recent tire purchase.

3. almano

Power Cup vs. Dunlop 211 comparison is fine ;)

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

212 is the new EU version DOT. They don't have them in the US.

5. almano

OK, so what about the older 211 UK made or the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsas vs. Power Cups?

6. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

Uk front and USA REAR. I prefer this over the cup

7. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

^Just what I happen to be running :up:

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Black, round and new will all work well. Tire selection will hinge on rider preference. There are guys going fast on every brand.

9. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

^that.....I have tried and like both. Would be happy either way

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

ANY tire but the ama spec tire.. really. Talk to the guys that are fast and look at lap times when they are on the UK dunlop vs the spec tire.. night/day. you would obviously have to know the racer and ask them when they are on what tire. I do that. I'm a nice guy and help people with bike setup (even if they later beat me) so i get straight answers from the guys i race with. (won't throw them under the bus on a forum though so don't ask).

But the spec tire ? come on. I could post for days about guys i talk with, even as recently as this past weekend, that candidly tell me "yea, it sucks" when i ask what is going on from one race to another and they suddenly are noticeably slower. Lap times from one particular supersport superstar from JGP recently, didn't look like a superstar on Saturday in practice.. but promtly jumped to the front and was 2 seconds faster in races on Sunday.
    Anyone club racing on the spec tire is just not informed and hasn't tried the other brands.

as many stated, round.. black.. it's all good. EXCEPT the ama spec tire. That tire is a piece of shit when for the money, there is so much better out there. Guys are going fast on the Pirelli, fast on the UK dunlop, and fast on the new Michelin CUP (not power ONE or power RACE). ASK suspension tuners if you don't believe me. Thermosman will tell you point blank "the spec tire is a piece of shit - i can't believe club racers use it".. Another well known suspension guy with GMD here in FL is wrenching full time for a racer who wanted to use the spec tire for the club events.. he told em point blank "if you do, i won't crew chief for you". how bout them apples :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  11. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Listen to da Melka!

12. MELK-MAN

i'm not even pounding the Michelin drum here :) .. i'm just putting up warning flares to all that will look to use ANY tire but the spec gpa tire for club racin. If you bleed dunlop, get the uk tire.

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

having just made the switch after 5 years on the UK Ntec over to the new CUP, i have to say, im VERY impressed, but then again, im an old slow guy.

14. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

I hear you Greg, I have used the cups and your advise since I started back racing. I have never Had any tire issues with the Power Cups. And Have broken all of my Personal Best Laptimes on them vs the dunlops.

I am a Michelin Guy :cool:

15. MELK-MAN

in 10 yeas of riding michelin, in my opinion, they are the best tires we have had since the WSS stuff came over when that series went spec.. They really are very good.
    I have yet to try the "C" rear but for JenningsGP i just might next time i am there. If you guys have questions let me know !

16. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Race tire service is screwing themselve as well. Their current uk selection sucks. when they stop supplying the front uk, ill be off the dunlops

17. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

What about the club racers that use the ama spec to prepare for AMA rounds? Wouldn't that be the logical thing to do to understand the tire and how it performs? Just playing devils advocate. That being said I do use the ama spec tire and honestly don't feel like I'd be any faster on another brand but I'm not a fast guy like the people you mentioned before.

18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

every time DunlopUS releases new compounds, they are dramatic improvements over the previous ones. its great to see that kind of improvement even if it is just to catch up to the UK tires or their competition. im faster on the US 8477 than the UK 6680 and durability & grip when worn past the tread were comparable. but of course, i havent run a UK tire in a while so i dont kno if their newer stuff is better or not.

19. MELK-MAN

here is what Mike "Thermosman" Fitzgerald says on that very question..and i have HEARD him tell this to people more than a few times.. "if you can't get your head around the spec tire in a couple practice sessions, you don't have any business being at the ama round in the first place".. He has gone on to say "use the best tire you can whenever you can, and run the spec tire when you HAVE to.. get a setup for the spec tire, sure, but then just run them when you have to"...
    call him and ask him if you think i'm making that up. And it makes total sense. WHY would you use a tire that is easily 1-2 second per lap slower than other tires, including the UK tire, at club events. All you do is shatter your confidence trying to hang with other club racers SMART enough to not run the spec tire at the club event.

Mark Miller Jr. and Ricky Valdez are faster than me, easily 1/2 second slower at RRR than myself. I was there 4 weeks after BREAKING MY ARM, 1st race since December 2012, and i was right behind them the week before Daytona ama round. It was almost sad seeing Mark try to get into and off the corners, but his skill was such (As is Ricky's) that they still pulled off wins but JUST in front of me in a couple races. I asked BOTH of them if they were on the spec tire.. both were. The year before when they were on the UK tire they were in the 1:12's ;)

"dramatic".. ok, you keep on telling yourself that the US tire is "dramatically improved".. LOL. Better ? yes. Early last year the tire was TOTAL shit. Now it's just sorta-shit. I saw a couple riders early in 2012 literally PULL OFF the track here in FL region when trying to race on the spec tire. It did get better mid season or so, but is still inferior to the other brands best rubber and (of course) the UK tire.

Again, i'm not here to sell you brand "X" or brand "Y" tire.. i'm saying as a person that enjoys passing on information, and is truly interested in seeing racers do better and better, that running the spec tire in club events is not the smartest thing MOST racers can do for themselves.

20. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!