1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subaru BRZ: What do you think?

Discussion in 'General' started by anupe, Mar 22, 2013.

1. khill

khill Well-Known Member

I got a few laps in one in Vegas...all stock. REALLY fun, super responsive, turn in was fantastic, a bit of body roll, but really lively...motor wasn't too bad as long as you don'y have a 250lb passenger in the car, brakes seemed OK...I liked it a lot..

Ken

2. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

no, it wouldnt sell because they havent, and wont make one. :D

and they wouldnt make one because they cant fit an intercooler and all the plumbing that is required with a turbo. anybody who has fabbed a turbo system (i did for my nsx) knows that it takes a lot of space. I am not talking about the two bit aftermarket systems. I am talking about a turbo setup that is clean and comes looking like it came from the factory.

and you would be about 50 hp too optimistic.

for all of you guys asking for a turbo brz, you are totally missing the point of this car.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

they put those tires on there on purpose so it mimics the handling of the old ae86...a car that would kick its back end out a lot.

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

5. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Yeah, and it's ridiculously easy to back it into and out of a corner. For a car with 200hp at the crank, I was able to slide the back end out of 80mph sweepers on corner exit with ease. I wasn't even trying, it just stepped out nice and easy.

The best visualization of this was Jeremy Clarkson's review on Top Gear. He reads a book while drifting the thing. Pretty funny.

Dammit. I was content with not buying this car. Why you guys gotta bring it up all the damn time...

6. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

Hey Al, its definitely a fun car to drive. It handles extremely well just a bit underpowered. Here's a review of the fr-s with a turbo. The only bad thing they mentioned is that it would get too hot and needed time to cool if you are auto-crossing it or driving it on a rode course.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puhX7b2BB7A

7. Caleb 6R

Caleb 6R "the new guy"

I've got '11 STi, I love it. The suede has held up great at 58,000kms looks almost new. The BRZ is a great car, a little down on power for what i would like, but it certainly makes up for it in driving, feels way more fun then my STi. I mean you can slide the car around at 30 mph like no ones business! I would say drive one and see if you like it.

8. six6two

six6two AWD

Wow that's saying a lot. I had an 04 STi and that was without a doubt the most fun thing I've ever been in. For one they're pretty cheap, plus it was an absolute riot on snowy mountain roads!!!:eek:

9. six6two

six6two AWD

I see what you're saying about the current config, but don't see the logic behind the man. not being able do something. They could without a doubt build that car w/ an STi powerplant and sell the shit out of them. Doubtful? Very. Possible? Absolutely. Remeber they did engineer that from nothing. It's not like they couldn't throw a turbo on the next gen. "It can't be done" sounds really silly.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why get the BRZ instead of a properly pimped WRX?

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Because the WRX is ugly, only fit for spotty faced gits and the only chick that will be attracted to it is a chick you don't want. :D

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Screw that, they're fun to drive. Ain't picking up ANY chick attracted to a Scooby anyway :D

13. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

try looking at the big pucture.

anything can be done.
    can it have an sti motor put in it? sure it can....will it be worthwhile? nope....as in it will cost 40 grand plus. how many people do you think would buy that? enought for subaru to do it? nope..
    What i meant was they cant fit a turbo, intercooler, and plumbing on the current engine and still package it in the factory quality. and this isnt just some backyard build, so they would have to upgrade the suspension for the turbo and supporting components....upgrade the brakes (current brakes are already doodoo) and then have to give it some visual ques to differenciate it from the common brz.

oh, and there went your 50/50 balance!

btw, nissan built a juke with a gtr drivetrain in it. doesnt mean they are selling those.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  14. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

one is designed as a drivers car (brz) fun rwd car with 50/50 balance.

the other is an awd turd with huge turbolag. :D

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I want AWD and a better turbo :D

16. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

stuff a porsche 997tt engine in it.

anything can be done. :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ha! For a Porsche transplant I want a VW Thing :D

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Anyone remember Sbarro's Porsche 928 with the VW Golf body and gull-wing doors?

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

lol join the club!

my dad wants me to build him a 15 window vw van with a porsche drivetrain.

(someone already did a few on europe)

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nice! Frist car was a Thing so of course I want another, guy around here has one with a flat four in that is really cool. Granted I'm thinking something turbo but still :D