1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MD GunLaw Hearing (Senate Version)

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by mikendzel, Feb 7, 2013.

1. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

This won't end well. Confiscation is a very dangerous door to open and they may find out the hard way.

2. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Good on all of you for showing up to be a voice for freedom. Keep fighting the fight.

3. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

:stupid::stupid::stupid:

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

That's awesome guys!

5. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

very similar to Beth Bye (CT) playing on facebook and twitter instead of paying attention to testimony.

6. legendndisguise

legendndisguise Well-Known Member

Just shows how much they really care about the people they are supposed to represent.

7. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

This is only at the county level ,but at least it is good news.
    Davidson county NC (the county I live in)
    http://www.the-dispatch.com/article/20130208/News/302089987/1005?Title=County-to-enter-gun-debate

Davidson County commissioners will consider a resolution Tuesday supporting citizens' rights to buy, own and posses firearms.
    Davidson County Board of Commissioners Chairman Fred McClure will introduce the "Resolution Expressing Support for the Preservation of the Right to Bear Arms," which commits commissioners to taking steps to preserve Second Amendment rights

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

9. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

10. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

I saw it, but it wasn't sent to me. I got another email stating "We need you now more than ever," that is asking for MD-ers' support for the gun bans.

BTW, the House Hearings are scheduled for 3/1 & 3/5 for the gun-related bills.

3/1:
    HB 107 - Mag Limit to 10
    HB 294 - Cross-filing of SB 281, O'Malley's Bill
    HB 989 - Exemption for Armed Guards and Security Guards from Mag Capacity Limits
    HB 1191 - Cross-filing of SB 623, a separate Assault Weapons Ban

3/5:
    HB 38 - Bill to make Maryland SHALL ISSUE in regards to CCW
    HB 426 - Disallows Requiring Dealers to Collect Personal Info on Ammo Purchases
    HB 589 - Firearms Freedom Act, prohibits federal enforcement of any FEDERAL Firearms ban, including magazine capacity, on the citizens of MD.

HB 776 - Law REQUIRING Personal Info Be Collected for Ammo Purchases (the opposite of HB 426)
    HB 1251 - Law aimed at Walmart, preventing Walmart from selling guns and/or ammo.

I am specifically against the bills that are in Blue text, and for the bills in Red text. There is an Anti-Gun Rally supposedly taking place on Lawyers' Mall (the same place as the Pro Gun rally last week) so if you do NOT support the gun bans, do not go to Lawyers' Mall! If anyone wants to submit written testimony or testify at the hearings, Del Don Dwyer is the ring leader of the Pro 2A push in the House. His contact info:

Delegate Don Dwyer
    (410) 841-3047 Office Line
    [email protected]

He is a pretty straight forward dude, and WANTS to hear from you!!! He will personally respond to you, and pretty quickly.

11. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Just found out about HB1277. This proposal imposes a 50% tax on all ammo, with the revenue going to a fund to help people with developmental disabilities.

So a box of $20.00 ammo will now be $30.00, PLUS 6% sales tax.

This is a reprehensible bill that uses those with disabilities as political pawns to further these lawmaker's gun grabber agendas.

12. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

That hasn't been read yet, so no hearings have been scheduled. Yes, it's disgusting and punitive towards gun owners.

13. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

I found out that I am allowed to collect written testimony to turn in on 3/1, so if anyone wants to help protect their own 2nd Amendment Rights, feel free to PM me with your testimony! I'll print it out (40 copies) and make sure the bill number and your position are at the top of the front page. Feel free to use or not use facts in your testimony; the NRA and other organizations like MD Shall Issue will be presenting most of the facts from the Pro-Gun standpoint.

14. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

:up:

Good luck!

15. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Cool, I didn't realize it hadn't been read yet. Another bill popped up yesterday. HB1355 raises the application fee for a regulated firearm from $10.00 to $50.00. But even worse, another provision in it requires applicants to provide a certificate by a mental health doctor, dated within the previous 30 days, stating that they aren't a threat to themself or others.

This would create a De Facto gun ban since there aren't even enough doctors now to see existing patients seeking help. It could take weeks or months to get an appointment. Plus, what doctor would want to assume that liability after a brief consult? Even if you were to find one willing to accept this level of liability, they would want to have several ongoing sessions to be able to assess your mental fitness to own a gun. This would cost hundreds, or even thousands of dollars.

This bill is sponsored by a republican.

These folks have lost their minds.

16. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

17. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

OMG.....

:eek:

18. A&J Cycles

A&J Cycles Well-Known Member

Pfft, you're in Mary-Land, do see the crap they put you through to get a carry permit? I had to either prove that I was under constant threat and show multiple calls to police in fear of my well being or show multiple large bank deposits in order to get mine.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...oollard-second-amendment-foundation-alan-gura

The original lawsuit was brought by Raymond Woollard, a Baltimore County man denied a permit renewal in 2009. He was not in court Wednesday.

Woollard originally sought a gun-carry permit after his son-in-law entered Woollard's house on Christmas Eve 2002, intending to take his wife's car keys and drive to Baltimore to buy drugs, according to court filings. Woollard and his son — both armed — confronted the man.

Shortly after, Woollard applied for a permit to carry a gun; it was granted and renewed once. But in 2009, a second renewal was denied, and an appeals board found he could show no good reason to carry a weapon.

The Government Accountability Office says Maryland is one of 10 "may issue" states, meaning that officials have latitude to decide whether residents should receive a gun-carry permit. Most states follow a doctrine known as "shall issue," requiring officials to issue a license to any individual who meets objective criteria such as not having a felony conviction or a history of mental illness.

Maryland State Police estimate that there are 12,000 gun-carry permits in circulation. Gun groups expect that number to exceed 100,000 if the law is changed, based on figures from other states that switched to a shall-issue standard.

19. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

Dude, I'm with you! I just joined MD Shall Issue, as a provisional executive member! I'm all about Shall Issue! Delegate Smigiel has a bill going to the Judiciary Hearing on 3/5 HB-38, which will repeal and reenact with the amendment that "and shows a good and substantial cause" is removed from the law, thereby making Maryland a Shall Issue state.

Write testimony supporting the bill! Or better yet, show up to Annapolis on 3/5/2013 and tell the committee what you think!

20. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

So far I have participants from the major gun manufacturers in MD, several gun stores/clubs, and hunting friends.

PLEASE participate if you live in MD! Heck, I don't even think you need to live here to testify....

Send me PM's with your testimony and I'll make sure their submitted!