Unlocking an Iphone

Discussion in 'General' started by gpstar748, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

My AT&T I was using at Macau and Thailand was unlocked from those guys in eBay for like $1.99. You give them your IMEI and you get a confirmation email. Then you do a restore or whatever it is with iTunes and it tells you it's unlocked. Easy peasy.

I was able to use all those sims. However I your phone doesn't use sims I don't see how you're going to buy one at the 7-11 next to the prostate massage spa and be able to use your phone in Pattaya.

2. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

mostly true...

the iphone 4s hardware has both cdma and gsm radios in it.

the verizon 4s works on the cdma network in the us, but doesn't have the gsm side locked for international travel:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/12/sprint-and-verizon-confirm-iphone-4s-micro-sim-unlock-for-intern/

in short, he should just be able to go overseas, pop a gsm sim in, and be good to go.

3. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I posted a link that covers this in post #9

4. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

All i can see The link in 9 talks about using Verizon phones as Verizon overseas

Man y'all are geeking this up too much. Without having to learn how cell phone work:
    I guess all 4s and 5 have SIM card slots. So once his phone is unlocked (EBay?!) then he can go buy 7-11 sims anywhere And use local numbers. Just like I've done with my unlocked AT&T 4s?
    Kinda cool having phone numbers for Macau, Thailand, UK, Isle of Man and here. One night I'm gonna get drunk and try an conference call myself.

5. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

All iPhone 4S's and 5's have SIM cards, CDMA or GSM, but the radios are different. A CDMA (VZW or Sprint) iPhone will NOT work on a GSM network. It is not as simple as just unlocking, the radios are different.

6. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

both radios are included in the 4S and 5...

from the article i linked above:

Update 3: A Verizon spokesperson has confirmed that the original version of the article is in fact correct:
    "The iPhone 4S works like all of our global phones. The phone comes in box with a SIM locked to our network and the network of our roaming partners including Vodafone, one of our parent companies. Customers sign up for a Verizon Wireless voice plan (beginning at $39.99 for 450 min.) and a data plan beginning at 2GB for $30. When they choose to go out of the country, they should call Verizon Wireless and sign up for a global plan. The customer can also request to have the SIM unlocked if they want to use a local service while out of the country. The request needs to be made prior to leaving the country, their bill must be current and the phone must be active on the account for 60 days before we will unlock the SIM."

from apple:

An iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S activated on Sprint or Verizon Wireless also has the ability to roam internationally on GSM networks using the provided SIM.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

If a phone has a SIM slot, it will work on a GSM network, period.

CDMA radios do not use SIMs. That means, if it's got a SIM slot, it's got a GSM radio.

The higher-speed 3G/4G stuff might not work, due to different radio frequencies on different networks. But, it will still ultimately be usable.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Evidently the last two iPhones have had them for Verizon.

9. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

Bingo.

As long as your monthly bill & contract with Verizon is in "good standing", you can request a SIM unlock once every 10 months. Your device only needs to be unlocked once, the 10 months thing is for people who have several phones, lines or like to buy new phones often.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/696707

Verizon has confirmed (here and here) they WILL unlock the SIM on the iPhone 4S, allowing for use of local SIM cards while traveling abroad (no word yet on whether this will allow for use on AT&T and T-Mobile.) This is different than the jailbreak unlocking method; SIM unlocking through Verizon is permanent and will not affect your warranty in any way.

1. Meet the following requirements:

* Must be a Verizon Wireless customer.
    * The iPhone 4S being unlocked must be active on a Verizon Wireless line of service.
    * The line of service must be active at least 60 days.
    * The line of service must be in good standing for the past 60 days.
    * Only one SIM Unlock per line every 10 months.

If you don't meet one or more of the above requirements, call anyway. You may still get lucky.

2. Insert a foreign SIM into the SIM card slot on the side of your phone (only required to confirm that the unlock is successful.)

3. Call 1-800-711-8300 (Verizon Global Support) and ask the representative for a SIM unlock. Occassionally a representative may not know exactly what you are referring to; make sure you are not transferred to a different department. You are in the right place. Explain that they should have a walkthrough on how to do this, and that it allows for the use of local, non-Verizon SIM cards while traveling abroad.

4. Get confirmation from the rep that the unlock has been applied to your account, then check your phone to make sure it recognizes your SIM and can connect (if successful it will roam on AT&T, assuming you are calling from the USA.) You will NOT see an unlock confirmation in iTunes as that is for a factory-applied unlock only.

5. Enjoy your new unlocked iPhone 4S!

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

:D

That used to say "No SIM installed" lol

[​IMG]