F1 usa - cota

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Monster could have used that money on someone else, and they did this year when they sponsored Busch brothers. I'm talking about sponsors like them going after young guns instead of people like Carmichael.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

3. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Not at all surprising, unfortunately.

4. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

i think the worst attendance at indy was ~100k in 2007 (two years after the tire fiasco). that's ~39% of indy's capacity, but would be ~84% of cota's (current) capacity.

assuming those 100k people in 2007 were the "die hard fans," i'd be surprised to see attendance drop below that and i wouldn't call 84% attendance a failure.

i think they're being "reasonable" with their expectations.

5. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I know around Austin and places in Texas the race was supported well but I barely saw anything on the national news.

6. 675AV8R

Yep. I even saw billboard for it here in Houston

7. derby369

all four of those guys are (north or south) americans. :D

8. derby369

major roads are currently planned to double in width to/from the track, iirc.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doesn't surprise me a bit, it's unknown, it's way the hell out there in Austin and so on. The weirdest part for me though is the power people in this country tend to be into cars, high end cars, F1 type shit. Yet they don't direct their power in a way to help promote that stuff.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wow, I honestly didn't think it was that many people. That's a little scary that a huge crowd like that is such a tiny amount of what Indy will hold. COTA sold out is less than half.

11. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

There's plenty of room for more bleachers along the back straight between 11 and 12.
    I think parking motorpalaces there only happened because they ran out of time.
    All that 11 to 12 real estate was going to be general admission sit-in-the-grass seating but they changed it to motorcastle parking instead.
    Look for more aluminum seating there in future..if they think they have butts to fill em.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense. Have to say though - the rv parking was pretty damned cool to see. Normal for lower end road courses but not the high end stuff since bleachers make more money.

13. Strick

Strick Good to be king

[​IMG]

Trying to find a way through

[​IMG]

Lewis trying for Pole on his last Q lap

[​IMG]

GT3 Action

[​IMG]

Ooops...

[​IMG]

This didn't end well. Ferrari Challenge

[​IMG]

And some historic F1 action.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 675AV8R

Yeah I was really surprised to see that. Definitely cool if you've got the coin to afford the pass.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Strick - did you go full geek and take the big glass? :D

16. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I took the 100-400. It is big glass but not massive glass. :D

There were some real good spots around the track in general admission to get shots from but I wasn't there to hump all over the place to get shots. I just wanted to enjoy the cars and the racing and only got to a few spots. Most of these are from my seats in turn 15.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I figured you didn't run around much, which is why I also wondered about the glass :D

Definitely cool stuff.

18. derby369

we were in section 25, looks like you were on the opposite side of the grandstands from us...

19. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I walked from turn 15 across the bridege to turn 3 and from there down to turn 11 so I walked around a bit but more just to take a look around. The only spot I didn't get to was the front straight, turn 1 and 2.

20. Strick

Strick Good to be king

We were in section 10.