1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Drug Laws = A Question

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by kmfegan, Nov 9, 2012.

1. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

hey smokedog , go watch pulp fiction

2. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

I'll admit I've never worked in a Nuke plant, or any place that is that tightly controlled. It is nice to hear though that the Nuke industry is very strict. Hate to have Homer Simpson working there.;)

3. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

No. Buy your own beer.

4. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I think the whole situation is pretty interesting and makes for pretty fascinating study of laws, their intent, etc.

So, weed is legal in CO and WA for recreational use. Growers may grow and sell their product while the state charges a hefty tax and provides oversight... Generates revenue, which previously, helped Denver get out of financial trouble (when medical sales were legalized)...

But, small business owners who want to establish a legal shop have difficulty, because the federal laws also apply to the banking system - they can't get loans. I'm sure there's also some difficulty with insurance...

I read/saw a while back that venture capitalists are providing funding for entrepreneurs, and stand to make a sizable return on it...

My question is - if you grow and/or own a small business, how do you claim it on your taxes? I guess you just say, "Farmer" or "Retail owner"... I'm a bit fuzzy on tax law and how specific you have to be...

5. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

I gotta side with MR on this one. Just because THC is in your system doesn't mean that it has any effect on you whatsoever, and that the subtle residual effects of alcohol are often overlooked in the workplace. But regarding the original question (which I was just thinking about the other day actually), I do think companies will fall back on federal law when it come to drug policies, but I believe they will meet some resistance, and rightly so.

Oh, and can someone change OP's name to "Cheech" :D

6. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

the irs hasn't been too kind to farmers/dispensaries claiming deductions in relation to their business. one operation received a $2-3MM tax bill from the irs because the taxes they paid to the state of california were disallowed as a federal deduction.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

This is a non-issue. At-will employment is the overwhelming norm in all 50 states.

I can legally tell the person interviewing me to go fuck themselves. That's my first amendment right. That doesn't mean they have to hire me if I'm otherwise qualified, and it certainly doesn't mean they can't fire me if I'm an existing employee.

Legal marijuana use can still be a valid reason for refusing employment, or for dismissing an existing employee. In fact, in an at-will environment, you can be fired for no reason at all. The employer wouldn't even need to specify that the marijuana use was any kind of factor in their decision. It's safer that they DON'T specify a reason.

8. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

LOL!! I was waiting for someone to post that!

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

My previous employer had wording that would allow us to fire you for use of your own prescription meds if it affected your job and we weren't aware of it. We refused to hire people that showed up for their hire-in physical while intoxicated. If you can't at least be sober for that then you have no business working for the company. Legal stuff was fine as long as you didn't let it affect safety. If you showed up severely hung over then just let us know so we can assign work accordingly, just don't make a habit of it.

Of course illegal stuff was never allowed because of our government contracts.

10. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

LOL - The last time I smoked pot was Halloween night 1989. I quit (2) months before I shipped out for boot camp.

I was just thinking about the legal questions CO & WA's decisions created.