1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marquez suspicions.....

Discussion in 'General' started by QMXcycle, Nov 1, 2012.

1. caferace

caferace No.

I seem to notice the fat countries call for weight limits more than the in-shape countries. :D

-jim

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I don't ever expect to see an obese motorcycle rider at the professional level, but when anyone over 5'2" and 115lbs is considered overweight and/or cannot compete, something is out of line. The limit would have to be something within reason, say assuming a max rider weight of 170lbs or so. Smaller guys would still have an advantage in aerodynamics and ballast placement, but it wouldn't be so pronounced, and would be tempered by the larger/stronger guys' ability to wrestle more effectively with the bikes.

3. caferace

caferace No.

Bullshit. You run what you brung, in this case being you, the rider. If you're too "big" to race in MotoGP, well....

Americans are, on average, big. Same with the brits. Italians and Spaniards aren't.

Peter Lenz was a small kid, and would have likely stayed that way. I could have seen him at the top, and would have hated to have a weight limit put on him for being born with those genes..

The winningest racers are all well over those sizes, but thanks for playing.

-jim

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So it doesn't bother you that one of the questions on the Red Bull Rookies Cup application is the height and weight of your parents? Why should a kid get the shaft because he'll probably grow up to be 6ft and 175lbs?

5. caferace

caferace No.

No, it doesn't. Their goal is to find riders that can make it to the top tier with the fewest hurdles.

If you want to call motorcycle racers athletes, then they better be built like the athletes that can do the job the best with the equipment available.

-jim

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I understand the thinking, I just don't agree. This trend towards tiny riders just goes along with the trend towards electronic rider aids making the rider less and less important. They're becoming less of a pilot and more of a passenger, and it's killing the racing. They're removing the "athlete" portion and replacing it with a vestigial "rider".

7. caferace

caferace No.

Then your memory is failing you. In MotoGP, there have been plenty of champions that were not average by current American build. Including Americans. Adding weight penalties to "smaller" riders to penalize them over the larger ones? Electronics are non-discriminatory.

-jim

8. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Then they should allow larger engine sizes as well. At some point, being bigger would be an advantage again.

Eventually, with rider aids and no ballast, the sport turns into horse racing. Who was the greatest? Secretariat, or Secretariat's Jockey... what was his name again?

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

DAMMIT JIM! Stop arguing with me and accept my small-people bigotry:Poke:

Short People got no reason
    To live

They got little hands
    Little eyes
    They walk around
    Tellin' great big lies
    They got little noses
    And tiny little teeth
    They wear platform shoes
    On their nasty little feet

Well, I don't want no Short People
    Don't want no Short People
    `Round here

Short People are just the same
    As you and I
    (A Fool Such As I)
    All men are brothers
    Until the day they die
    (It's A Wonderful World)

Short People got nobody
    Short People got nobody
    Short People got nobody
    To love

They got little baby legs
    That stand so low
    You got to pick 'em up
    Just to say hello
    They got little cars
    That got beep, beep, beep
    They got little voices
    Goin' peep, peep, peep
    They got grubby little fingers
    And dirty little minds
    They're gonna get you every time
    Well, I don't want no Short People
    'Round here

10. caferace

caferace No.

I'm 6'2" and 175lbs in gear. No dog in the hunt. :D

-jim

11. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

So should a 7' tall basketball player be given a disadvantage because of his height?

Or how about a 300lb. defensive lineman?

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

They already are. The 7-footer is likely slow and can't handle the ball well (too far between his hands and the floor). The 300lb defensive lineman is definitely slow and easily winded.

13. Almostryan3

Almostryan3 Well-Known Member

Uhhh most NFL lineman are actually pretty quick...

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That's why they're lineman right? Their entire world consists of a 10ft by 10ft area with one task: grab the guy with the ball if he runs into that area. If they were really quick, they'd be defensive ends or backs.

15. caferace

caferace No.

But the 7' dude and the 300 lb. lineman could likely pull an ass out of a hole.

Try that with Marquez? :D

-jim

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Stay away from my ass AND my hole! :eek:

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If short wins motogp then Chip, Monte and I would be the freakin' podium every weekend.

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Jim, this one was pretty small when I met him...

[​IMG]

:D

19. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

Stats show Espargaro only 1kg heavier than Marquez, so the weight thing really isn't much to talk about. I take issue with him passing other riders mid-straight which he seems to do a lot. Out of the corner he isn't along side them and he doesn't seem to need much draft, curious....

20. caferace

caferace No.

Bike is on a table. :D

-jim