1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting around Europe

Discussion in 'General' started by scotth, Oct 27, 2012.

1. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Wow, what did that cost you in Petrol?

Except for the speed, we were pretty disappointed in the Autobaun. At least from Frankfurt to Munich. Did have some amazing rest stops though.

2. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the ticket.

3. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

If you are a person who likes to set a plan and stick to it go for the train. Personally I always have the best adventures by accident and would do car again. Only place I found hard to drive in was Paris, most of the rest was cake. Italy was an awesome place to drive in even without knowing the language.

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I did it from Fussen to Frankfurt. What did you expect it to be?

5. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Well, something more advanced that what I have at home. The whole route was just two lanes with one solder on the right. No exit numbers, narrow lanes, no real signage, just the exit name with it's closest city. Maybe it's just hype, but it just didn't seem all that.

The NJ Turnpike is three times as wide, separate section for trucks, reflectors in the lanes, electronic signage, and huge shoulders. Of course, we also have crazy drivers, garbage, potholes, tons of troopers, crappy rest stops, and the 'privilege' to pay for the experience :D

I will say, drivers in Germany are 100 times better than over here! No one, and I mean no one stays in the left hand lane for longer than a few seconds.

No speed limit is cool, but not in a rented Opel :mad:

6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Just watch for construction, they don't cone miles before work, they don't use cones at all. :)
    Once you drive there you will know why German cars have 4 signals button (hazard) in convenient place and not somewhere you have to reach through steering wheel.
    I had peugeot floored most of the time and still had to drive in right lane.

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

On the way out of Frankfurt towards Freiberg it was 4 lanes. Stupid heavy traffic. Flowing at 80mph. With people going over that in the left lane....except when some numb nut was sitting there for a bit side by side with the car to the lane on the right. That was interesting to see. :crackup:

In any case out in the country around here we have two lane interstates, not many exits, crappy rest stops and signs with the closes city names. The Autobahn felt appropriate as if you noticed they generally didn't go into the city but around the city.

As to the left lane...no shit. I was two up with the Wife on a R1200RT. We ended up in the left lane doing about 100mph passing a two cars. As I was passing those two cars another car ended up on my ass. I moved over as soon as I got passed the second car even though I would have to move back over very soon to pass another car. The car on my ass accelerated past me and then moved over in front of me. At that moment a car came by me like I was sitting still, likely doing 150+. Then the car in front of me moved over. I did a HUGE head check and moved over to pass the car in front of me and then back to the right lane.

I was laughing cause I had just commented to the Wife that nobody has passed us like we were sitting still yet. :crackup:

If that were the States I wouldn't be here to talk about it.