Just lost 55 lbs in 60 days... Here's how

Discussion in 'General' started by trancework, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

Honestly, even the best ones suck! The fruit ones are easy and good, but from what I read that is only the first juice of the day and then the rest should be 80% or more veggies. I did the 15 day reboot and only did 3 days of juicing. I lost 15 pounds, but found myself stuggling to get some of the juices down. On the plus side I did feel great and had a lot of energy. I'm trying out being a Vegan to see if I can maintain how I currently feel. I can say my blood pressure is down over 10 points(sys & dys). I go back to the doctor late next week and I am curious to see what my cholesterol levels have done.

2. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Just a slice of apple or a bit of ginger root for some reason does a lot to cover up yuck from the greens.

3. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Just made the mean green and its actually quite good.... Did i make it wrong? :D

4. 418

418 Expert #59

Tell me how. We just made it and it was :Puke:

5. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

You pooing water yet :p

6. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

Here is my update. I did the 15 day reboot which is basically only fruits and veggies for 15 days and the middle 5 days is juice only. Since then I went on a Vegan diet. In 2 months I've lost almost 30 pounds and more importantly my cholesterol went down 40 points, and my sugar and thyroid went to normal levels. The juicing thing is great, but if you have any health issues I'd suggest looking into the Vegan diet. It is amazing the difference your diet can make.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Here's my version- Bok Choy, green and/or red peppers, jalepeno and/or serranos/poblanos, ginger root, tomatoes (not a lot), cucumber, maybe a lime or 2. I actually kinda like it, and I HATE veggies. Celery fucks up the taste for me.

8. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

So I bought a juicer and I'm easing my way into this fasting for hopefully 10 days. I had one glass of juice (sweet potato, orange, red pepper) and within minutes of finishing the glass I had stomach cramps. Is it the fiber in the juice or some reaction to one of the plants? Ginger tea helped calm it down a lot but searching the net isn't really giving a definitive answer.

9. 6uldv8

6uldv8 Well-Known Member

Wish I could help but I can honestly say that I juiced for 60 days and never once cramped. If it helps any I also never juiced sweet potatoes or redpepper:eek:

10. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I was on the fence about both of them but it smelled like red pepper and tasted like regular juice. Over two days and two glasses total I got cramps both times I drank one 8 oz glass. I'm slowing down the intake today (1 liter over a couple of hours) to see if it helps any.

11. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

No cramps here either.

I stuck to fruit & veggies I like and never thought of potatoes. I tried some peppers but didn't care for it. So I stuck to other stuff.

12. bpez

bpez Well-Known Member

Try using cucumber and celery as a base. They have lots of liquid. Then add in a green apple, lemon, carrots. Play around with the amounts to your taste. Just don't get too carried away with fruit...too much frutose.

13. trancework

trancework It's always now...

You should go see a doctor. I've been back on the juice 34 days now and in both this round and the first, I've not a single cramp.

14. trancework

The NSFW

I've been having a lot of luck playing with juice hybrids using the Vitamix blender along with the juicer. It works really well. The Vitamix is great for things like kale leaves (pulled from the stems) or blueberries, raspberries, blackberries--essentially anything where you want to get ALL of it. I'll blend those in the Vitamix with juice from the juicer like apple, pear, sweet potato, etc.

I also decided to try a new hybrid twist on the FUWU juice. We're calling it the New Super FuWu or the NSFW. This stuff is NUCLEAR! It's most of the same ingredients as the original FUWU, but for the Habaneros (I'm up to 5 per batch currently) -- I'm mixing those in with the Vitamix along with a whole avocado--skinned and seeded. The texture of the juice and it's staying power is amazing. If you like HOT, it's pure awesome. It also makes a hilarious "here try this..." drink for the nephews and nieces. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

15. trancework

Also, I believe that doing the hybrid has led to a lot more fiber, which has been a good thing. This time around it's been a lot closer to "normal" eating with pretty much the same benefits. Weight loss, significantly increased energy, unbelievably good sleep, improved mental clarity, etc.

And in case anyone's wondering why I went back on the juice--here's the short version. We've been BEYOND slammed at work and I ended up on a stint working 100+ hour weeks (working from home, luckily). I ran about 7 weeks with a total of 3 days off morphing into a machine that converted pizza, burgers, and RedBull into software. You know it's bad when the folks at Wendy's know what you're name and what going to order. The surge was a huge success but there's more stuff going through January. I caught a break when the code went to testing and flipped back to the juice. So far I've knocked off 28 lbs in 34 days.

Attached Files:

16. BearcatRR

BearcatRR Well-Known Member

So I started this full tilt yesterday and it has been relatively easy so far. I was kind of hungry yesterday so I ended up drinking a TON of juice (mostly vegi), but today has been quite a bit better as far as the hunger goes. I feel a bit out of it this afternoon, so hoping that this passes in another couple of days like you said. This is probably not the best time to start (have some HUGE software deadlines coming quick), but I figured that if I can get through it now, I can do it whenever. Unfortunately, I will have a three day period where I pretty much have to go back to solids this weekend, but then I am going to go straight through to Thanksgiving.

17. BearcatRR

BTW, I ended up going with the same Breville that you did....any hints on doing kale and spinach? I'm not getting a ton of juice out of either of those and those are the main ingredients that I am trying to use in most of my juices.

18. trancework

That's the exact reason I added the Vitamix. If you have a blender, you may try it out to see if what you have will work out. For spinach, just put it into the blender as leaves and pour something you've juiced over it to taste. Blend it as high as the blender will go. The Vitamix is awesome, because by the time it's done, everything is pulverized beyond recognition and mixed to a liquid. For kale, the same goes, just pull the leaves from the stalks--they're coarser than spinach so depending on your bender power you may have better luck with spinach. The Vitamix destroys kale pretty well, but you can still detect the texture a bit. I'm going through about a bunch of kale per day this way.

One more thought... if you have trouble blending down the leaves, you may want to try quickly steaming them first.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  19. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Put everything back in the hopper thing again. We rarely use ours but spinach and kale I think it was, these needed running through again. Got a bunch out of it the second time through. We have a cheapie from Target though.

20. BearcatRR

Thanks! Feeling a bit better today too, so that is a plus :D. I kind of figured that was the answer...I've been running them through twice like mentioned above and that has been working fairly well.