LinkedIn.com

Discussion in 'General' started by Cannoli, Jan 21, 2010.

1. That's why I enjoy watching House & Private Practice. You get witty phrases from House, and Private Practice you get to watch them pawn patience off on their own Dr. friends.

2. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I have been able to reconnect with a few work/college buddies and it has definitely led to a significant increase in recruiter contact, which it can be all that bad.

I do experience a good amount of emails from head-hunters, certifications, and professional advancement courses.

3. Mud Whistle

Mud Whistle Get my icebike ON!

:stupid:
    It's good for reconnecting with old friends and former co-workers & classmates and I definitely get more recruiter traffic. I also refuse to use Facespace or MyBook so it's LinkedIn or nothing.

This thread veered of course, but I like the engineering presence. I hadn't thought about it, but Joe is right... EE's are generally the weirdest of the disciplines (as my EE brother-in-law says "you can't spell geek without EE"). I'm an ME and worked with a lot of EE's at a previous job and went to a private Science & Engineering school so I was surrounded by all forms of oddity.

4. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Old thread bump
    Who else is on LinkedIn now? Ill be finishing grad school in a couple months, so I've been far more active on there building a network and job searching, the networking aspect is nice, but not having any luck with finding jobs and getting interviews.

My profile if anyone wants to connect
    www.linkedin.com/in/richardpittenger

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Still have a profile I'm guessing since I get emails from them, can't remember the last time I logged into it.

6. triplestack3

triplestack3 Early Retirement

I'm on LinkedIn... I was contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn and it led to my current job. It's pretty worthless until you start to build a good list of connections. If you are looking for a job and want to get interviews, post your resume on Monster.com and Indeed.com and your phone will start ringing off the hook if you have a good resume.

7. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I haven't logged-in in about two years. I still get recruiters calling from old resumes on Monster too.

8. triplestack3

you should take them down

I need to do this as well. my phone keeps ringing for stuff that I'm not interested in :crackup:

9. Pittenger5

Ha, Im on both of those. Get a shitton of insurance sales jobs. Thats about the extent of things.
    Too many of my days ends up bringing this to mind
    [​IMG]

10. triplestack3

what kind of job are you trying to get?

11. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

This is a timely thread... I just started my own business and need all the 'networking' help I can get to get my company name out there!

http://www.linkedin.com/in/dwaynemurphree

Anyone need some collaboration tech, hit me up. :D

12. Pittenger5

Well eventually Id like to get into marketing management. I realize Ill have to get experience to get there though, so anything marketing related would be ideal.

13. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Once you learn some tips and tricks, let me know :)

14. triplestack3

well the way that I ended up doing it was starting off in sales. probably a sucky way to do it, but that's how I did it. Sales and marketing have some things in common, so you can get your experience there. getting into sales is pretty easy.

15. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

The other way is Program Management (via Project management). Eventually, when a PgM gets to product-level decisions, he/she's rubbing shoulders with Product Management anyway.

(How to get to PjM is an interesting question...)

16. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I was blessed with the job of wearing a chemical suit with a positive pressure hood for one entire 72 hour work week...... but the company I worked for was nice enough to install a 2 way radio in my hood so they could "keep up with progress"....... of course they were sitting in front of an A/C unit in a safe area..... I may have accidentally told them to "leave me alone" once or twice.... :up:

17. Pittenger5

Yup, I kinda figure that, I was hoping my retail/sales background could help me jump that line a bit, but even if not, even breaking into some of the major companies sales departments is tough.

18. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Electrical engineer, I got hit up by Apple, Google, Facebook, amazon, Intel, and a couple more I can't remember on Linkedin for job interviews. I got recruited on there for my last two jobs. I think it's essential in my field of work, if you don't have an account you could be missing good job opportunities.

19. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Huh. Do you have a job-seeker badge on or something? No one's hitting me up... I'm having to apply all on my own.

(not wild about blindly sharing my resume)

20. Pittenger5

Same here. I know Im getting people looking at my profile after I apply too, but havent gotten an interview out of anyone either.