1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Submarine Guys

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Tinfoil hat charly, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depends on what they're firing at. Merchant type ships I doubt it, a US sub would hear them before they got the torpedos partway loaded :D

3. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

I believe the only defense against torpedoes for a civilian ship is to be dry-docked.

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's a Kilo class??!!?? I hope our sonar guys have earplugs....

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

To answer this: No.

linkys

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/kilo877/

I don't know if Iran also bought those TEST-71MKE or USGT torpedos, though IIRC those are more for anti-sub warfare. I'd suspect that they're used more as a mine-laying tool for Iran. They (Kilos) can carry anti-ship missiles, but again, I don't know what-all toys Iran bought.

And despite what I said before, running on batteries, those things are DAMNED quiet.

6. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The defense against torpedoes is good Sonar Technicians, quick decision making by the officers on duty in/at control, well trained operators taking action in well designed ships.

Of course there are countermeasures and thermo layers that are part of that quick decisions and well trained operators.

You won't sink most of our surface ships with one torpedo. Most take multiple hits.

When the torpedo doors open you have better have a sonar tech that's doing his/her job.

Frigates and cruisers are there to intercept torpedoes so they don't hit the aircraft carriers. Also one of the reasons we stopped putting nuclear plants in cruisers. :p

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Most take multiple hits.

Attached Files:

8. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

Oh please just let them empty a tube at one of ours!

9. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I would be amazed if they had a submarine out there that wasn't being shadowed by one of ours.

10. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

ARRGGHHHHHH

[​IMG]

11. duck62

duck62 V7 Scooter

12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

This was John's boat...

[​IMG]

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Now I'm confused. The Jon boat that I used to have was much smaller than that one. :)

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:D Good movie.

15. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

When I hear of the Iranians running an older rebuilt Russian sub, I think of the movie "Down Periscope". Dude with his shoes off, and licking his finger tips to make a connection on wires...lol

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

An even better movie. :D