Study: Tax Cuts for the Rich Don't Spur Growth

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by panthercity, Sep 17, 2012.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

And the lead will have the most value...

2. kangasj

kangasj Banned

OK, that's nice. Curious, how much of the wealth do they control? Oh, I found this "Altogether, the top 1 percent control 43 percent of the wealth in the nation; the next 4 percent control an additional 29 percent." If it's true so big fucking deal if they pay 37% of the taxes. Cry me a damn river...booo fucking hooo....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneywisewomen/2012/03/21/average-america-vs-the-one-percent/

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  3. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

As soon as you tell us how much of the income is earned by the top 1%, that statistic becomes useful.

4. kangasj

kangasj Banned

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

So how much of the money that someone else earns do you feel they should be allowed to keep?

And explain to me, please, how it is that *you* get to be the arbiter of what someone else is required to "chip in".

6. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Egg, you asking me? I will say that the top 1% have more influence on making/keeping their money than the bottom 50%. I tend to think the rich stack the deck in their favor. They influence the politicians much more than the poor...

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Up to a point. You still need more than the 1% to get elected.

8. kangasj

kangasj Banned

They will buy who ever gets elected. Plenty of money to dontate to both sides...

9. pickled egg

O rly?

They buy the politicians, but that 50% on the government teat has a hell of a lot more say at the ballot box.

And you didn't answer the question, either... :Poke:

10. kangasj

kangasj Banned

That's it, Sarah gets to name the next kid too! Take that!

"how it is that *you* get to be the arbiter of what someone else is required to "chip in"." Show me where I said I was the one who said I was going to say how much each should chip in. I merely pointed out that if the top 1% controls 43% of the wealth then paying 37% of the taxes does not seem too out of line to me.

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Cite, please.

12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

13. tarheelguy451

tarheelguy451 Well-Known Member

Mitt Romney had ZERO "earned" income in 2011, but came home with quite a bit of cash, and paid a lower rate than the guy that put the roof on your house.(EARNED income)

Not trying to single him out (Romney,there are plenty just like him), but you get the point.

14. Black46

Black46 Well-Known Member

Here is an excellent graphic showing how much each income group pays in taxes vs. how much each earns.

http://politicalmathblog.com/?p=1735

Attached Files:

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So you are basing the income tax rate upon accumulated wealth? That would create a permanent upper class by punishing those trying to achieve it while ignoring those already there. Kind of like All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others isn't it Mr Pig?

16. pickled egg

Was there an answer to those direct questions in there?

Cuz I sure as fuck didn't see any.

How much? Answer the question. What will satisfy you, how much do these horrible assholes with the $$ have to pay until you STFU about how much fucking $$$ they have?

17. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Not picking either side but rather adding an FYI:

25% of the people who don't owe any federal income taxes are retired people on Social Security (non-taxable income).
    Also, every person in this country, even children, pays taxes. Sales tax is not avoidable unless you are native American.

18. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I'm saying I don't give a shit if somebody with 10 or hundreds of millions of dollars has to pay a higher percentage of their income for taxes than a poor person. There comes a point where you need money to get by and put a roof over your head, then there's excess. If a wealthy person can't stand paying a higher percentage than a poor person then they can relieve themselves of the burden and give their money to charity. There, problem solved. You guys that worry so much about the wealthy sure are some wonderful people.

Don't get me wrong on all of this. I HATE the government and I am not for social programs and hate taxes as much as the next guy. I've always made due with what income I've been able generate. It's easier some times and some times you have to cut back. I just laugh when people start whining about the mega rich having to pay more than poor people.

And don't give me that Animal Farm shit. It is harder and harder to be a middle class person in this country. It's not because the middle class has been gradually been getting lazier. If you think that's the case, you're a fool.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There wasn't a middle class really before WWII so what's it matter if it's harder to be middle class? Who cares what class you are or how hard you have to work for your money? Welcome to the real world, it's called work because it's not play.

I find it funny that anyone could seriously think that it should be somehow easy to achieve anything.

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Is now and ever has been...