1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Energy:)V6.2 floorstanding speakers

Discussion in 'General' started by lizard84, Aug 30, 2012.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Energy V6.2 floorstanding speakers, 2.5-way Veritas Series.

Anybody ever listen to these? Good, bad, Meh.

Just wondering. I need to find a local place to check them out.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm a B&W nut but Energy would be my first choice for a "budget" set up. Grab a couple of your favorite CDs, head over and give them a listen.

3. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

I found that series a little on the bright side, but some prefer a livelier sound. If you demo try to mimic as closely as possible what you will power them with. Demoing affordable speakers with a really high end amp will distort your perception of what they will sound like when driven by a receiver etc. (especially as 2.5 ways often have some wonky impedance drops). Also if the demo room is heavily dampened and your room at home is all sheet rock and tile, be prepared for a much different sound there as well.

4. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

IMHO the best "Budget" speakers ever are the Magnepan MMG's, $500 and sound as close to live music as you will get, but they aren't everybody's cup of tea and are definitely not made for loud metal if that is your preferred genre.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I've got a 10 year old set of the 3 series floor standers and the 12 inch sub from that series. I've got no complaints really. They sound good, have been trouble free for the last 15 years and are still used daily.

By comparison we had a Kenwood micro system from around the same time frame that was bought for the wife and I've replaced the river in the sub twice and the amplifier once.

6. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Well there is your problem, water doesnt do well in electronics! I thought you were supposed to be an electronics dweeb. You're welcome. :Poke:

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

driver...

I'm just a dweeb.

8. lizard84

I was just wondering, vanns is almost giving them away if you go by suggested retail.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Not sure of your audio-discernibility quotient, but a floor tower for 300/pr is indicating low-end cabinetry, no matter how you slice it. The cabinet is really the majority of the costs in these types of speakers, and while it may suit your purposes just fine, I am thinking the sound will be a little hollow and lacking in soundstage.

Pair the MGM's with virtually any decent subwoofer, and it will kick ass.

10. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

I looked at everything offered in Magnolia last November, I ended up with Martin Logan floor and center http://www.martinlogan.com/motionSeries/models/towers.php

At the time Best Buy was selling the series I bought for half off, hard to beat. The speakers are incredible!

11. lizard84

Let's see, my ADQ by and large, most of the high end stuff is like high priced gay watches on Dave K's wrist. The "look what I can buy quotient"

Me thinks Speakers get to sound a hell of a lot better up to the $1500- 2000 a pair range. After that it's pretty much diminishing returns and you're just showing off because you can.

Same thing apples to receivers over the $1000 range

Players, ditto

Stand alone dacs, high end and other wise, please:rolleyes: the good receiver has a good dac. Bandwidth over redbox Q, please...:rolleyes:

High price cables and cable burn in, (see dac's):rolleyes:

Tubes, yea, it sounds warmer if that's what you want to call it because it's been colored, some might say clouded by distortion. (not that the tube sound doesn't please me a bit)

Arguing this shit would really belong in the other forum because to many it's dogma, but if you double blind test the experts they end up picking the $100 amp 50% of the time.

How's that for ADQ?

12. lizard84

All that being said, I'd like to own a pair of Salk's someday...

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

These speakers that you are looking for....are they for an audio/video set-up or pure audio?

14. lizard84

When I buy a pair I will buy them for pure audio but they will see double duty.

15. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Thought you'd get a kick out of ADQ :D

I'm a mid-phi at heart, so I basically agree with what you said (I have homemade 2-way towers myself).. As with most things (and I think I mentioned this) sound is in the ear of the beholder: so check them (the Energy's) out. That also said, maybe check out the cheap Maggys just to hear what planar speakers sound like. You might like it.

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Reason I ask is because I have a pair of Klipsch Cornwall's and they are the real deal. Sound magnificent with my 80's Yamaha equipment.

But I can't vouch how they would work for audio/video. Mine are audio only.

Not mine....(I'll never sell mine)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Cor...52?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1c2a7c1660

17. 178SV

178SV now retired...

18. lizard84

Those are sweet, and that is cheap for those, but it's local pickup only.

19. tz_eric

tz_eric Well-Known Member

Ooh, Salks are nice. You have discerning taste.

I went to the big Colorado Audiofest a few years ago. I thought the best sounding speakers were some weird, huge, field-coil horn speakers which weren't for sale. Of the normal speakers I liked how the Green Mountain Audio speakers sounded the best. Going in, I expected to like speakers with Accuton drivers the best. I listened to some $50k Martens (with all Accutons) and wasn't blown away. None of the other Accuton speakers did it for me either.

20. lizard84

Look like a good option, i'll I have to check out the maggys, I like recievers though and I don't think my yam would last long with a 4 ohm load, would have to consider getting a refurb Nad T 775 or something similar.