1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this competitive in CSS/CSB?

Discussion in 'General' started by sowega, Jun 28, 2012.

1. sowega

sowega #710

Legit question: could you go faster around Little Tally on a stock 2005 Katana600 or a race-prepped and sorted EX250?

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Katana by a bunch.

3. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

It would be a tie.

But the tie breaker would give it to the EX250... which you are less likely to yardsale :Poke: :D

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Wow are Katanas THAT bad?? lol What makes them such turds. Serious question. I've never ridden one. I just figured it was like the inline version of a SV.

5. turner38

Pretty much, with about ten more horsepower.

6. John LegionST

An SV that makes a little more power and handles a little worse (as in softer and is heavy)... oh and stops worse hahaha.

It would beat an EX around Tally, but it would be closer to the EX than a GSXR... and an SV would probably be faster than it as well.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. sowega

sowega #710

Katanas aside, I think the important thing here is that we all recognize that Risconsin is a real dickhole.

8. John LegionST

I'm going to buy a shovel...

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Somebody bring a stock katana to Tally, let's get it on!

:D

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Bike manufacturers do all of us a disservice when the claim the NEW Belchfire 600 is 'oil cooled'.

ALL 4-strokes are oil cooled. Now some, BMW 'oilheads' and Katana's to name two, have specific oil passages around the exhaust valve seats to pull more heat out of that area but EVERYWHERE the oil circulates it effects heat transfer.

11. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

This really sounds like a fun experiment, and I wish someone would do it. Race prep a Katana and run it in D-class. Inquisitive minds want to know!!

12. turner38

A well done one could dominate the D classes in my opinion.

I want to run it in the C classes just to eff with people.:D

13. turner38

A purely air cooled bike does not depend on a oil cooler to help keep the bike cool, take the oil cooler off of a old GSXR or Katana and see how far it goes before it goes into meltdown...

14. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Ok, I've tried this experiment in V6LW. As I was looking for something to do on Saturdays, I took a kat 600 engine and put it in an 86 GSXR 750 frame. Affectionately called the Gat 6. The motor was bone stock and if I remember correct was running 1:07's at tally with stock suspension and dragging everything in the corner. They are really heavy, underpowered motors but for 200-300 a pop it's pretty cheap fun. For reference I race my 86 GSXR 7/1216 in V6HW and V7 HW so my goal was to set them up the same. The funny thing is that I've not found any company that makes any performance parts for these motors and if you pull the top, the sleeve is at least a 1/4 inch thick. I may be wrong but I do not believe they are legal for D superbike although they should be as an SV would pull my fat ass down any straight on any track. I think the Kat motor makes about 62-65 horsepower but it was fun to ride. Just put a 750 box on it and stay on it till it hits the rev limiter.
    I'd say these are almost as economical to run as the 250's as I replaced the rear 17 X180 one time during the season. Before anyone makes fun of me let me tell you why I did it. I bet someone I could build a V6LW bike from my spares and ebay for under 1,600 bucks in two weeks. I missed it by a day but the cost was right on. Bought a 750 GSXR for 600 and a 98 Katana for 600 and put my spare wheels, bodywork and rear shock on it. Here's a picture of the completed project. Lol

Attached Files:

15. Outsider V6 V7

Oops, Please remove this picture and I'll post one I paid for. I had Vicki's permission to use this picture on the Gixxer.com board but not on here. Sorry for the mess up.

16. Derrick1

Derrick1 Well-Known Member

I have never seen a katana at the racetrack...anyone else ever?

17. Outsider V6 V7

here's a picture of the bike after I put my back up 1100 motor in it.

18. Outsider V6 V7

Ok, it's been a long night in China but the concept is pretty simple. It looks like an 86 GSXR 750. Vicki sorry for posting proof here without permission you know I'm not like that.
    eboz

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

The purely air cooled bike uses the finning on the oil pan, or tank, to help dissipate the heat the oil gains as it travels through the engine.

An oil cooler is just more efficient.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oil cooled is air cooled.