1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

running sneakers

Discussion in 'General' started by metalkid88, Jun 12, 2012.

1. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

For all the runners here, I know sneakers break down and its important to change them out every so often to help prevent injuries. however My question is how often is often? I log anywhere from 20-30 miles a week.

Ive had some ppl tell me every 50 miles is a good number but that just seems crazy buying a new pair of running shoes every 2 weeks?

what are you guys doing?

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I never ran anywhere near that much (13 miles a week maybe) and I replaced them once a year. Near the end I could feel the lack of cushioning but the visual clues were a good sign the shoe was wearing down (cracked sole, squished gel sections, etc).

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

My running coach says 200-300 miles. I think running style has alot to do with it though and replace mine when I can feel soreness from the impacts. That's every 3-4 months with my 20 or so miles a week.

4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

50 miles is insane.
    Will typically vary anywhere from 300-500 miles. If you're heavier, replacement would be sooner. If you run on a treadmill vs outside, you could get a few extra miles out of them.
    Essentially, once you start getting into it more, you'll 'feel' when your shoes will need to be replaced. If you're running every day, you may want to consider buying 2 pair and alternating back and forth to allow your shoes to recover and dry.

5. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

When my back starts to hurt... I think I get ~300 miles (Asic 2160/2170).

6. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I noticed I get shin splints when they wear out, 300+ miles or about 4-6 months for me.

7. jdaniel

jdaniel Well-Known Member

What these guys said, your shoes are like tires you just have to learn the signs of when they are starting to go off. For me it is aching knees, then new shoes.

8. Dano711

Dano711 Well-Known Member

Agree^^^

9. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

awesome. sounds good :beer:

10. Heikes

Heikes Well-Known Member

Ugh, this reminds me I have about 500 miles on mine. Time to spend more money on something.

11. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

This, but 300-400 miles is usually a good reference point.

12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I think the shoe companies recommend 300-400 miles. Problem with that is that they are the ones selling the shoes! I have heard of runners getting thousands of miles on some shoes but I don't believe. You can tell, they start breaking down.

13. styles

styles The untrained eye

Ditto. Did a trail half marathon on Sunday. Thought I would be ok but around mile 10 my right foot started telling me it's time for new kicks.

:Puke:

14. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

250 miles for me but I have a stupid gait.

15. UberRacing

UberRacing Well-Known Member

try reading the book "Born to Run", puts a different perspective on running, running shoes and the industry.
    I have found changing shoes every 6 months or ~400 miles works for me most of the time.