1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire wear issue on Triumph 675 w/Pirelli, advice?

Discussion in 'General' started by desmo, May 31, 2012.

1. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Had the same issue, chased our tails. Turned out, the rear spring on my bike was too soft, problem solved...

2. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Yup.

I had the same issue on the Michelins a bunch of years ago seemed nothing fixed it by adjuting clickers and such. Went up one spring rate and solved it.

3. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

25psi is way low for Pirelli's at Miller, even 27psi is cutting it a little close. Dunlop and Michelin run pressures in the low 20's, not Pirelli.

Next time you go back if the track/ambient temp is low start with 29psi and work down from there. Oh yeah, you want a Pirelli tire to run hotter, add 1-2 pounds of air ;)

I worked with a bunch of riders at Miller last year who were tearing the crap out of their tires at 25-27psi hot, but the end of the day with a simple pressure change and a few adjustments to their damping their tires were not only lasting, but had amazing grip. (all this is info that will only work if you suspension is correct)

4. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Miller is the ONLY track I have ever had any issues tearing at all in years...not since I first got this bike in 2006. Since then I have used three different shocks, with every tire brand, race tires, street tires, old tires, new tires :crackup. And yeah I tore the crap out of it in the mornings (I have ridden on mornings jsut as cold here btw with no issues). I had good grip UNTIL the tire tore to bits.

Apparently the AMA boys where having the same issues while there on the GPAs.

I wonder what it is about that place that is so tough to sort out tires :confused:. Every rear I saw at the Pirelli tire tent was torn. Quite a few of the Michelins were torn,and some of the dunlops too. Never saw a bridgestone tent while I was there?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

Miller has tricks to going fast and making your tires last ;)

Pirelli has also won five of the six #1 plates (premier Kom-O class) with 3 different riders all on production tires. Ok yeah so I gave them a 3-0 head start :D

With the track suface grade, the weather, the wind and the speeds you just cant as low as other people can run. Another thing with the Miller track/s is when it is hot sun a softer compound tire, and when it is cold run a harder compound tire. With the hard compound when it is cold you may not have the intial grip of a soft tire, but the tire will remain consistant throughout the race and actually still work after 4 laps.

Strangely enough, the WSBK guy run very similar pressures and compound/track temp combinations as I was running :up:

6. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

Good suggestions from all, and I tried hot pressures as low as 24 and as high as 30 with the higher working a little better overall.

The pic was post-Miller trackday this week, started going off early on cold track, flipped at lunch and it was totally gone by the last session, almost highsided out of Blackrock and pulled off. Was running 2:04-2:06's on perimeter which I think is decent pace, first time there so not sure, but I think enough to keep a tire hot at least. I had the same issue on two other tracks though as well so I think it is probably either damping or geometry.

I am going to try dropping the front 2mm and see how it goes, might try raising the swingarm with some eccentrics too to get better angle. Love the planted front feel with it all choppered out but can't afford two or more rears a weekend. And for those who say it was somehow my fault, uh, sure, since I have never had this happen before riding the same bike for over two years on different tires.

7. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

throttle wacking. you are unsure of side grip, so you are waiting untill you start to stand the bike up and then getting on it way too hard. beating the fack out of the tire. My first time out every year the rear stats to look like that untill i get comfy getting on the gas early. look at how high the wear starts. if you are on the gas proper, and it was a set up issue, it would look like that right to the edge. Think about it. when are you getting on the gas good???

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

This isn't anything special with Miller. It is the cause with any track.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Do you have triples on the bike? Fork extenders?

If not don't drop it anything...you need fork extenders or triples.

10. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

Well obviously a lot of people are being told the wrong information then ;)

I have been doing certain things since 2006 when I started racing on Pirelli's and the tires have always done right by me, other people would try different things and tear their tires up. You have to know how to adjust your damping to work with the Pirelli's and it isnt anywhere close to Michelins :up:

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

That's a funny statement.

I literally took Dunlop's off my SV last weekend and put on Pirelli's. Zero suspension adjustment for the tires and they were wearing perfectly (new track so small adjustments to the chassis had to be made but they were the same as everyone else, regardless of tires).

So...what's this about the valving being different?

Get a good suspension guy, then use them. That's what I have done and its served be very well over the years.

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

There is nothing about Miller that is special when it comes to when its cold you run a harder compound and when its hot you run a softer compound (well you can but dont have to).

Its a matter of how all the tires are made. Maybe the people you've been talking to only ride in So Cal. But here in the PNW we have to vary what we run based on conditions.

13. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I can say I had the exact opposite.

Went to Barber with my Pirelli setup, but to do a trackday. Had a set of Dunlops I tested with last year end of the season (when deciding what I wanted to race on this year) mounted up, and bike pumped like crazy off of corners, and the front chattered like crazy.

Mounted my pirellis back up, and bike handles perfectly again.

Huge differnce at Tally too, where said test occured, between my Michelin setup at the time, and the dunlops when I mounted them.

For this reason it is always funny to me when people say "I tried X brand tire, and hated it compared to what I normally run". My question is "did you set up for the new tire?"

Answer usually is no. Well duh, of course it didnt work.

Granted at some paces, it doesnt matter at all, and it may not matter on an SV as much as a 600:beer:

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Who is your suspension/chassis guy?

15. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

LOL Michelin's are not Dunlops :crackup: The setup between Dunlops and Pirelli's is 'close' but for fast expert/pro riders there are still quite a few changes to be made between the two :up:

I don't race for/on Pirelli's any more and have no affiliation with any Pirelli vendors so giving out this information on a forum isn't any use to anyone that I am not helping, get it? :D

Different tires work differently for different riders, bikes, tracks and riding levels so going to a different track is going to require a very different setup for the tires/suspension to make your tires work for you.

16. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Brian Livengood of Livengood Motorsports.

17. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

:stupid:

I make changes (some small, some larger) for every track I go to just on one type of tire, let alone changing tire brands.

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Good you have one. So many people don't and then blame <insert thing here>.

19. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Oh, im not blaming anything :D :beer:

Was jsut saying I had a vastly different experience than you did going from Michelin to dunlop. Then that same set of Dunlops to Pirellis (neither time was the bike set up for the dunlops, but rather for the other brand).

Took fairly minor changes (oil level, damping adjusters, or a spring usually), but changes none the less, to get the bike to handle properly.

Miller whooped my ass though, and f00ked up my tires :down: (just like the OP of this thread).

I mean Ive done Roebling in the frigid temps, and the GNF last year was cold in the mornings on the Pirellis, and tire wear was golden. BUT, I cant remember if I was on SC1 or SC2 tires at the time.

I took the SC1s to Miller, and could not get them to work. Should have taken SC2s

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Based on the temps I heard (I wasn't there...was doing my backyard instead. :down:) yup SC2 would have been better.