Cracked Crank Case Help 600rr

Discussion in 'Tech' started by CommandoRR, May 7, 2012.

1. CommandoRR

CommandoRR Well-Known Member

Here I am getting ready for my first race at BHF. Minding my own buisness trying my hand at safety wiring and I see this... What in the world could have caused my crank case to crack like this? Last time I rode the bike at road america it was fine :confused:. Is there a safe inexpensive fix for this or is it time to buy a new crankcase? Or a new engine? Never dealt with something like this so any help would be great.

Thanks, Jacob

1050330884771_ORIG.jpg

2. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

Break out the credit card..

3. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Clean the area with contact cleaner and compressed air several times and dope it up with crankcase half sealer.
    If the crack does not spread it should not be a problem.

4. CommandoRR

would that be safe though? I wouldnt want this thing blowing up at 100 mph

5. Tunersricebowl

Clean the area and take good quality close up pictures to post up and I'll answer that.
    Is a crack or a casting flaw that opened up?
    You may have to remove some parts to get good pictures but if it's dead meat, those parts and many more are going to come off anyway.

6. Tunersricebowl

I expanded my screen view and can now see the crack running all across the top area left to right too.
    Did that thing freeze?
    I would still like to see it cleaned up but that looks pretty bad..but if it's a freeze crack and away from pressurized oil you may still be able to have it repaired.

7. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Pretty sure I got a set of good cases laying around off one of our old 07 600RR SS bikes. Give me an email (I have pm turn off)

Edrshop AT gmail DOT com

8. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Get the cases cheap enough might be worthwhile to have them Nicosiled...the stock plating is garbage.

9. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

ive never had issue on the 07+ cylinders giving any issues. typically these engines run FOREVER just never make R6 like hp thou :)

10. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Not familiar with that engine, but it looks like the crack is at the bottom of the lug for a head bolt. Maybe (re)assembled with wrong length bolt, missing washer under bolt head, or bunch of pucky filling the cavity at the bottom of the bolt hole?

11. CommandoRR

Just shot an email your way