1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil level on 675 ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, May 3, 2012.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Tri. 675 owners what's the proper oil level for a 08 675 ? I've got one in the shop for the first time for a service, never touched one before. Is it dipstick threaded in or just set in to check ? And what's the right mark ? Dipstick has a long hash with 2 different marks in it. Thanks in advance.

I asked the customer, he didn't know :wow: guess he's never checked his oil.

2. FSTASFCK

FSTASFCK Active Member

3. On that model 675, screw the distick in and the oil level should be touching (or just below) the UPPER hash mark (what appears to be the "Full" level).

Triumph increased the oil capacity (or actually, the oil "level") with the 2009 models. The way they achieved that was simply by making a shorter dipstick while keeping the oil pan the same.

Then they sent out a memo stating that for the previous generation 675's (prior to '09), to accomplish the same desired oil level the oil should be filled to the uppermost mark with the dipstick screwed in. OR, you can buy a new-generation distick (which like I said, is shorter) and fill it to the middle (in between the two hash marks).

So on that bike, assuming he hasn't changed the dipstick (which is highly unlikely, since he obviously hasn't even checked the oil, he probably hasn't done that much research on the subject) screw the dipstick in and let the oil go up to the uppermost mark. :up:

4. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

With my previous 07 motor, I used to just measure it dry. 2.8L I believe, according to the shop manual.

Oil was changed every other track weekend, so never worried about the level.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Thanks guys, it's done, full to the upper mark. BTW there was also 12 lbs. of air in the front tire and steel showing on the rear which I changed. Gotta love the clueless owner.

6. :up:

And....

[​IMG]

7. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

:wow:

Well, I can't really talk. I had something over 30 in my front when I tucked it at Eagle's Canyon last year :eek:

8. :confused:

I always have something over 30 in my front tires.

9. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

I've been putting 3L in dry including filter fill which puts it just a hair above the top line on the old dipstick. No issues with it spitting oil out and everyone I have spoken to here who race them says they are happier with oil a little on the higher side.

10. 675AV8R

675AV8R Jetski Extraordinaire

Yeah....it was waaaay over 30....I pretty successfully turned the front tire into plastic.