1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

747 Enterprise question

Discussion in 'General' started by G 97, Apr 27, 2012.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

For the longest flight, or the shortest one?

2. scotth

scotth Banned

If we're not counting flights in actual planes, I can highside like a professional. :D

3. caferace

caferace No.

Shortest.

Long story short, in '85 or so I volunteered to "pilot" a tethered hot air balloon at an air show. It was tied down to my Mom's VW rabbit, and a F-150 with a max elevation of about 100'. I took it up, a gust caught the balloon, and it started dragging my Mom's VW across an active runway. I was radioed to bring it down and I did it way too quickly. Hit the dirt at about 40mph or so. Bag spills across another runway, gets all torn up snagging on the runway lights.

Luckily, I was fine. The basket and balloon were f*cked. Elapsed time? Appx. 3 minutes.

Still, a fun memory. Crazy shit you do when you still think you're invulnerable.. :D

-jim

4. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

Most folks doing that are on business trips that their companies pay for.

That's because Delta sucks. :D

Next time you roll Int'l out of IAD pm me and I will see if I can help your upgrade situation.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm there A LOT. :D

6. scotth

scotth Banned

Tell me about it. Everyone else brags about their beds. Delta has seats that recline into an almost-bed--one some flights--but still lean, so you feel like you might slide off the end. Still, I'm not connecting through Miami or DFW with American, and United really doesn't want any part of the southeast.

Ooooohhhh...but you don't work for Delta, do you?

7. kaoyagi

kaoyagi Well-Known Member

If it was a JAL flight, packed is not right term. They take a full size 747 remove all the first and business class seats and put in economy seats throughout. Then they move ALL the seats closer, to fit "Japanese size" people. They'll pack over 550 passengers on the plane.

Singapore Airlines has a non-stop from Newark to Singapore, I think it's 23 hours, on a modified Airbus A380. All seats are business class, full reclining, $7300 a seat.

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Japanese carriers have asked Boeing "Can you put seats in the cargo area? How about making the landing gear fixed and using that area for seats?" However, there is a cool option on the table for a cargo located galley on a certain model. I'll leave it at that since I kind of was sworn to secrecy. If I can find a published article I'll post a link.

9. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

What's the purpose of the sawtooth design on the output side of the fan bypass and jet of the GEnx and other newer jet engines? Noise abatement? Some time of thrust enhancer?

10. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

OT

The B-52 is unreal, almost 100 year service life possible....The boneyard in Tucson was enlightening, yes there are still some spares for planes like the A-10, but amazing how old the engineering is.

11. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Actually JAL started revenue service this week.

12. cincigp

Yep, the triangles are for acoustics.

13. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Who, in their right mind, would want to get off the plane in Lagos?

I don't care if the Minister for Financial Affairs hisself was going to present me with my check, he's coming onto the plane . . . I ain't getting off of it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  14. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Radial?

15. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

I'm not that familiar with civilian aircraft but a turbojet is something like what would be in a fighter or an old passenger plane such as a dc-9-8 0r a 727-707?I think most dc9's and md80's have a version of a j57 like the b52 or the f105?I guess without re heat or afterburner.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  16. 23k5

23k5 Well-Known Member

There were rotary aircraft engines, but they were not the wankels we generally associate with that name. They look very like a radial, but the crankshaft is fixed to the firewall / engine mount structure, and the whole assembly of crankcase and cylinders rotates around it, with prop attached.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_engine

I couldn't begin to guess which is superior in the leaking stakes.

17. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

18. cincigp

You are correct. I had it mixed up with the 787.

19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Just happened to see it on the news and reminded me of this. We still don't know who got the first 8i (VIP BBJ), but I haven't really dug on that one too much. Anyone who buys their own 747 personal jet deserves whatever secrecy they purchased.

20. cincigp

Yeah, I am an engine guy. Sometimes I get the airframes mixed up. On those two planes it is the same core engine, they just have a different fan.

Judging by the people with enough money and desire to buy one, I would say it either stayed in the pacific NW, went to England, or somewhere in the middle east.