1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why didn't Melissa Paris race in Atl?

Discussion in 'General' started by r6racer75, Apr 24, 2012.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The first time I saw Melissa race was at NJMP, and I was really impressed with her consistency. Every time she came through my corner, she hit her markers. She was like a machine out there. I'm not sure she has what it takes to be a champion, but she's a racer to be reckoned with for sure.

2. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

Thanks. I will be at barber this weekend. Just hit me up.

It's 109%. I qualified because I did a 1:36 in practice. We made a bad tire choice during qualifying. The cut off was a 1:36.9.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  3. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

You mean you didn't go thru 3 rears for Qing?? :p

4. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

Something like that. Also a red flag hurt us too.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

As a total AMA novice, prepping for our first round, I have a couple of questions. I'm hoping Tyler can get in the top half of the SS field. How many tires do you guys think are needed? I was hoping to purchase 4 sets, is that too little?

1 set for practice
    1 set for qualifying
    1 for race 1
    1 for race 2

By looking at the schedule, I know there are two qualifiers and some warmups. Maybe I should buy more rears so he can have more fresh rears and less fronts?

TIA for advice from guys who have been around and doing it on a limited budget.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I would at this point like to point out that is 4 weekends of racing with WERA

:D

7. Boman Forklift

We love WERA, and you know it, but at Vegas, I went through four rears and two fronts, since it was a double header weekend.

That might be 4 weekends on a ninja 250 or a SV, but not running a competitive pace on a 600.

8. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

9. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Will someone please tell Josh Hayes that its just not possible to ride a liter bike that way, it looked like a motard being thrown around. Great riding young man. The last turn on Sat was epic.

10. I was soooo waiting on that :D.

11. cobra2497

cobra2497 Well-Known Member

I can tell you what we used at Road Atlanta but all tracks and weekends are going to change it depending on conditions. We found that the new medium front (i think it's now a dual compound I still don't understand it after talking to dunlop about the difference in the choices this weekend lol) they have is like the N-Tec and last forever. Matter of fact race 2 we threw the front tire we used to practice and qualifying back on and did the whole race and he said he never once felt issues in the front. If my count is right he did a total of 78 laps on that front over the weekend. For rear it also was doing pretty good at Road A we were able to pull 35 or so laps out of the rear before it started going off. So we ended up using two fronts and three rears over the weekend.

12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I was a tire marshal for the weekend and I would say that Cobra2497 is about right with tire usage. I did not check teams for the starts of the races so I would "assume" that most started the races with new tires or ones with just a few laps on them.

Most of the teams seemed to run one or two front tires for practice and qualifying and the durability seemed very good. the rears they were swapping out more often but I think unless it rains, or the track is really abrasive or hot, that 4 sets would be fine and leave you some extra room/tires in the front.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How many classes are you running? I know, I know, I should remember that stuff... But a normal weekend really should be one set of tires for a 600 running the solo and 2 sprints.

14. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

i would think that tire/track/conditions/setup/pace/riders tire management skills would all factor in .

30ish laps is realistic , last weekends tires for practice

15. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Fixed. :D

16. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

Nice inside info. :down:

17. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

It was nice getting to meet you this weekend, we'll see you at Barber this weekend too.

18. Boman Forklift

I don 't expect you to remember. Unfortunately, and I wish this were not the case, we don't really get any solo's on the west coast, so we run the B and C classes. The races are only 4-6 laps, so we have to sign up for a bunch of them. At Vegas we had a double header, so that was eight 6 lap races. Unfortunately, with heat cycles etc., you can't run that many starts and stops and expect the tires to grip like the guys running new sets every race. We actually ran each rear for two races-hence 4 rear tires.

I wish there were solo 20's, as Tyler will be showing up at Infineon, having never run more than 10 laps in a row on a 600.

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Running competitive times?

Even a front-running novice will go through at least two sets (or, at the very least, two rears) on a typical weekend. And that's if they show up with useable rubber to practice on. Most of the competitive racers I work with are using 2 fronts and 3 rears per weekend and that's running a GT (equivalent to a solo) and, on average, 3 sprints.

Managing the tires right means you'll have rubber left over for practice for the next round or track days.

I don't think I know of any competitive racers who manage to get multiple practice sessions, a GT or Solo and a few sprints on one set of tires.

20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

she is definatly easy on the eyes. And respect for her skilz on the bike.