You afraid of heights?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Apr 14, 2012.

1. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

Well, all this ladder talk almost fucked me today.

Had to climb on a roof today to kill some bees that got in a chimney. I knew the way I had the ladder was kind of sketchy, but I nutted up and dealt with it. Going up, I was cool. But when it came time to swing my fatass around and get down the ladder, I froze. I was stuck like mid ass swing for like 5 minutes. Stupid bee suit got all hung up on the ladder, and I tried to un snag it.

As I did that, the ladder shifted, and I almost fell. I just kinda got myself back up on the roof and sat there whimpering for a few minutes. Figured I had no choice but to do it, and finally made it down.

Fuck ladders

2. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

I thought the same thing the first time I watched the video.

3. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

When I worked on the 93rd floor of the John Hancock building, we had a 3/4" steel nut hanging on a string from the ceiling. When it was windy or stormy, the nut would swing in a circle, demonstrating that the building was twisting and swaying. Actually was pretty cool.

4. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I have heard that peopel with a fear of heights, can often sky dive. A plane is high enough that your brain quits registering the height as such.

Not sure if it is true or not. Im not afraid of heights :D

5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago I went up the John Hancock tower and didn't have a problem.

Then I walked down the street and went to the top of the Sears tower; I had to walk around the center for 10 minutes before I could edge my way to the windows. This was before the Skydeck was installed.

6. Just Bob

Just Bob Well-Known Member

The tower video freaked me out. I HATE heights where you have to hang on. I flew hang gliders for five years and was fine in the air but take offs were hell. I flew Glacier Point in Yosemite a couple times. Big exposure. I like my couch now. Pic is 1974, Northern California.

[​IMG]

7. krod524

krod524 Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY true.

The rise of the first few 100 feet is a little scary, but after that the higher you go the safer you feel. I never jumped higher than 3000ft and it was all static line jumps.

Jumping out of the big DC-3's hurt though, because of the huge prop blast and the plane couldn't slow down. The small Cessnas were WAY better and easier because they would cut the engine for a few seconds... but more expensive because you can only fit 3 jumpers or so.

Try it sometime... it's not THAT bad.

8. MDGeist

MDGeist Tropical Splash rider.

I'm afraid of heights, and hate climbing ladders for roof access. I have frozen on the roof so many times. :eek: However, I went sky diving once, and absolutely LOVED it! Going up in the small plane was rough, especially with all the duct tape everywhere on the inside. I remember thinking, WTF have I gotten into here! :eek: Moved up to the door, and was still a little worried, but my passion to get out of the plane overwhelmed my fear of heights. I really wanted out of that plane! :crackup:

Once we pushed out, It was instant relief for me, and the whole way down was fun as hell. :D

Still hate my ladder though. :mad:

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Many years ago I was installing an alarm on a house. I had to put the siren under the eave of the roof, and it was WAY up there. Had to stand the 40 ft. ladder on the roof of the van and even then I had to go to the tip top of the ladder to do it.

For ~5 bucks an hour.

Yeah, I didn't stay with that job long.

10. bwhiting

bwhiting Well-Known Member

my hands sweated for the whole thing and my stomach is still queasy 30 mins later...unreal