1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM Moto 3 bikes are Fast!

Discussion in 'General' started by tgold, Apr 5, 2012.

1. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I honestly feel almost the same way. I believe giving the four strokes Twice the capacity advantage was a big fucking mistake from the start, especially at the world GP level. For damn near a hundred years a CC was equal regardless of what type of internal combustion engine it was, then some effing idiot decided that all of a sudden a cc didn't equal a cc and the special needs classes are born.:D

2. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Instead of CC -CC, how about HP-HP??

3. Vort3xR6

Vort3xR6 Well-Known Member

2 strokes have an explosion every revolution. 4 strokes have an explosion every OTHER revolution. So in order for a 4 stroke to be on par with a 2 stroke it needs to have twice the displacement. This is motors 101 not quantum theory you morons.

4. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

:stupid:

5. turner38

So by your logic they are getting a 4X advantage per power cycle... yea that seems reasonable.:D

Ya effing moron.:p

6. turner38

Just peak horsepower to horsepower? or Average horsepower over X number of RPM?:D

7. kangasj

kangasj Banned

OK, you lost me. Where are you getting 4x from what he said? I'm getting double...

8. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

You're not playing fair :p

9. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

So you're saying the All of the orgs that changed the rules of their 250 MX classes to what I said above, are idiots also? Well, sounds like you need to call the FIM and the AMA to let them know.

10. turner38

A 125cc two stroke will displace 125cc of atmosphere with each revolution of the crankshaft, it produces a power cycle every revolution. 125x1=125

A 250cc four stroke will displace 250cc of atmosphere with every revolution of the crankshaft, it produces a power cycle with every two revolutions of the crankshaft therefore displacing 500cc of atmosphere per power cycle. 2x250=500/125=4

11. kangasj

kangasj Banned

What? You're making me dizzy...4 stroke has a power stroke every other revolution. You don't multiply displacement by 2, you divide...

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Not to quibble...but they actually have a "combustion"..not an explosion. Internal COMBUSTION engine. If they were exploding they'd be destroying themselves right damn quick. Now, back to your regular programming....:D

13. turner38

Is that some of that new math your using? Why would you divide? Are the intake, compression and exhaust strokes not relevant to the power production? Using that logic we should only count the displacement the engine moves from 10 degrees ATDC to 40 degrees ATDC as thats the only piston movement that actually contributes to making power.:D

That would roughly equal 30.9cc for a 2-stroke vs 56.7cc for the four stroke,(125cc2 stroke vs 250cc four stroke) depending on bore/stroke and rod/stroke ratio's. Still not quite even...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  14. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Maybe YOU need to call ama as they went back to cc for cc 2 years ago.

15. kangasj

kangasj Banned

This ain't deep science....or maybe it is....:D...or maybe I'm not saying it right.....

"- Two-stroke engines have the potential for about twice the power in the same size because there are twice as many power strokes per revolution. "

http://www.deepscience.com/articles/engines.html

16. turner38

Isn't that what he said?

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Oh...misunderstood.

18. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You are very close to exceeding your words for the day. Just a friendly warning:)

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I love stink wheels. I used to live, eat and breathe 2 smokers but. . . leave 'em dead.

Blessed are the big noses.

20. turner38

The ONLY correct comparison of 2 strokes with 4 strokes is that a 2 stroke can (in theory) produce twice the power of a 4 stroke for the same sized engine and the same revs.

This is the correct quote from that article. The KEY words in that phrase are in theory. The reality is that the people that are making the arbitrary twice the displacement rules are only looking at part of the equation when making the rules without fully understanding every aspect of it (there isn't anybody alive past present or future that will ever fully understand EVERYTHING involved IMO).

My opinion is the 2-strokes are FAR superior in many ways, but have been legislated out by people using PART of the picture to rationalize legislating them out of existence. The ONLY place current four strokes are better is in concentrations of HC and CO coming out the tail pipe, however they pollute roughly four times the atmosphere, generate roughly 35% more unusable energy in the form of heat and burn more fuel per amount of work done. JMO