Metal

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

Look up Elitist's song "Caves" or "Fracture". Seriously epic riffs in those.

One thing about metal that pisses me off is there are a billion different genres, and finding a genre that doesn't at least sound a little bit like the next genre is hard lol. I'm picky

2. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

Any of you old school thrash/hardcore guys that aren't familiar with Dave Grohl's Probot project should check it out. Lemmy, Mike Dean, King Diamond, Cronos, Max Cavalera and more, all on one glorious album.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I miss the little dive club where we used to go see local metal bands play. It was called Linda's Lounge and it was maybe the size of a gutted Waffle House. Sans Sobriety, Misplaced Aggression, Buzzoven... and others from the Straight Up 227 record label. Ferocious mosh pits!

You might find Sans Sobriety on the tube. North Carolina band that moved out west many years ago. Guess they are still playing.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

So true. prolly no secret now that I'm an older thrash/speed guy from back in the day. BUT...I've always taken the time to give every other 'genre' a listen. Sometimes I like it, Sometimes I don't. Hell, I find merit in some of these 'radio oriented' rock/hard rock bands. I've also found some death/black metal bands I can listen to. An old friend of Mine is the founding member of 'Nile'. We used to play the same club circuit together. When he went off and started Nile, I lost track of Him. I met up with Him a few years later in a bar here in town, and He told Me He just got back from playing in front of 100,000 people in Rio. He gave Me a CD to check out. It was all gutteral voicing and 250 bpm's riffs. I was blown away. Confused, but blown away.:D

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Ever heard Sugar Ray play metal? It's what they started out from and they are actually pretty badass live when they do a metal set. They once said they used to love when people show up for their radio hits and end up trampled in a pit. You might find some of their early stuff out there. Not joking they played some heavy stuff and speed metal lol.

Couple of my favs-
    Bile (Biledegradable and Suckpump are great albums.)
    Snot (Sadly the lead singer passed too soon. GREAT live band.)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  6. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

haha wow!

Couple years back when I was in high-school I was all into the 80's hair metal shit lol I had a fender strat and I would throw on this old jean jacket I got from my dad and ripped the sleves off, then proceed to imitate some of George Lynch's Dokken solos roflol. I had no idea who 50 cent or any of that other mainstream shit was lol.
    Luckily I found the sub genre of metal "metal-core". Killswitch Engage's song "The Arms of Sorrow" was my first taste of the genre back when I grageeated in '07 lol

7. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

It'll be interesting to see how metal evolves in the next couple years. All the screaming and shit is nice but it's starting to get overused. The new "djent" genre is pretty cool with all the different polyrhythmic riffs, but it has yet to grow on me. Did I mention I'm picky when it comes to music? :P

8. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

The band Asschapel, from Norf Carolina, does a sweet cover of Slayer's ' Raining Blood'. Before I got a 'real job', I used to mix live music, here in Des Moines, and these guys were one of them...these guys are some of the nicest on the planet (along with the Muder City Devils). Asschapel's shows were absolutely brutal (in a good way).

Please don't ban me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgSkd4ruq74&feature=related

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  9. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

Pretty sure you're banned, but you're right those guys were super cool every time they played a DIY party here in Atlanta

10. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

I'll just leave this here....

Sepultura.......

that is all.....:rock:

*still not feeling anything new school.....blech.....no feeling, no soul to me....

11. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

No. We were around when metal started is the difference. I had just thought about this. If I were 19 today, what would I be listening to that would stoke the rebellion that I crave.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This thread is the gift that keeps giving.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What's the count so far? You a double ace from this thread yet? :D

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My momma told me listening to that stuff would make ya stupid.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Amen brother!

Under a Pale Grey Sky...

:bow:

I'll add that every band Max Cavalera has started is worth a listen. Soulfly, Nailbomb, Cavalera Conspiracy...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  16. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Max Cavalera is a fuckin prick. I met him twice while working security at various venues around Cincinnati. I love me some Sepultura though.

17. yamahaareone

yamahaareone Well-Known Member

Opeth, without a doubt.

Their albums Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Ghost Reveries and Watershed are all good.

Damnation is also good.

18. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

iced earth, brilliant band

cheers.joe.