NC Track

Discussion in 'General' started by Trev230EX, Feb 29, 2012.

1. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Of the people who have ridden there, how much distance would you say is between the straight and that turn? Can't be more than 60' or so.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

According to Google Earth it's 50 ft at the shortest spot. But as you can see that image was taken in 2009. There is now a guardrail that runs through there. So it's not so much of an issue of running back onto the front straight, it's getting that wall padded with airfence.

Attached Files:

3. mavrik82

mavrik82 Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna argue with you Mr Clark, all one has to do is peruse this forum a bit and see you have never been wrong about anything. I had just hoped your motivations had shown through. Considering what you know about risk assessment and management I feel that your comments about the track based solely on a satellite photo are an obvious accusation that TPM is intentionally putting it's members in harms way. Cheap shot, you couldn't wait to judge.I just want everyone to know, it's not a scary corner, the speed is low there, and wait to judge it's safety I'm done here, I've been told nothing good would come of this thread.

4. mavrik82

As a safety side note to anyone that is interested the track is 40ft wide everywhere. This may lend to the lack of anxiety about the "offramp" turn. We come off of T4 relatively slow, then even if you run wide or some one forces you out, there is a ridiculous amout of room to stay on the track.

5. JRA

JRA Well-Known Member

Seriously? Is that accurate?

It seems to me that the over-riding concern should be preventing a bike from going airborne over the top of the barrier and into the front straight. What's the speed on the front straight there at the closest point?

6. Cecil

Cecil Member

Take a look at the picture again. The entrance to the corner does not have you pointed anywhere near where the red lines are. Riders "should be" on the inside of the corner and practically 90 degrees from the direction of those red lines. The areas of concern are actually beyond the point outlined in that pic.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No more than they are for all of us everywhere. With the economy it's hard to say what impact NJMP has had on Summit. No effect anywhere else.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

By all means please tell me what my motivations are in this case.

I am accusing TPM of putting it's members in harms way. Duh. Because in my opinion based on my experience in what I do for a living they are. Not the first time and I'm sure not the last. I do not agree with whatever method they use to choose tracks or methods to keep riders safe - no passing zones? Seriously? If you can't pass in an area then guess what - that track is NOT safe enough to put motorcycles on.

Your opinion may differ - that's your problem and it's your ass. Not sure why I am supposed to not voice my opinion when you're all free to voice yours.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Riding it both directions as has been discussed? Interesting. Guess track day lines are different than what I'm used to.

10. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

Sean, where in my post did I defend a group? Where in my post did I defend the track? Where in my post did I even discuss safety?

You sir are indeed biased, it's fine, we know it. The only one who really seems to have a problem with admitting it, is you.

Doesn't make you a bad person, I certainly don't question your sincerity in wanting to focus on safety. But the fact is you don't know shit about NC because you haven't gone there and ridden the track for yourself, which is the only way you could possibly have any idea what the problems might be and where they are.

The simple fact that not a single person other then someone who has been there has brought up the biggest concern on the track just proves that looking at an aerial photograph is basically worthless.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're bitching about my "bias" that would be defensive about this subject - however I wasn't actually talking about you specifically, just the defenders in general.

What is my bias? Seriously. What is my bias about this track? Why wouldn't I want a viable track in that area? It'd be great for WERA if it could work. If they can build some of the other layouts in their plans I'll be on the phone looking for rental info.

I absolutely can look at a google maps overhead and tell you where potential problems are and where some problems absolutely will be.

Onboard video is usually really odd and I won't make a conclusion based solely on it. Same for ground level photos. An overhead shot however can easily tell me where the lines will be and where runoff isn't adequate. I have no problem saying I'm not sure about a track and need to see it in person, I've done so repeatedly. I've also gotten to the point where I'll flat out say if I think a track is unsafe. I'm tired of the silence when people are making bad choices. They hurt riders, they hurt my friends, they hurt this sport. If I'm wrong I'm wrong - but I'm not going to shut up just because someone is choosing to run events at a track I think isn't safe.

12. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

:crackup:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No way I could pass that one up :D

14. Cecil

Cecil Member

Not sure I follow. To the best of my knowledge TPM is only running the track clockwise.

No you won't. You're not allowed to race there. Gov't property and a test facility. No racing allowed.

Are you evaluating the layout from a track day perspective or a WERA racing perspective? We all know the gap between a race environment and a track day environment. If you evaluate the layout from a track day perspective you don't come to a different conclusion?

I know, narcissism is tough to get over. I have the same issue. It's okay to admit you're wrong once in a while though. But let me ask you about Jennings. Is that track safe? How about Pocono East? TPM used to run a no passing zone there in the name of safety. Never heard such strong opposition to Pocono East. Summit Main? Loudon?

Again, I'm not stating that this track doesn't have some issues it needs to address. All I'm saying is that it's no worse than many of the region's most popular venues. I also believe there are other motivations at play when shouting down this facility.

Let me ask you Mongo. You and Glen Goldman hang out much? Chat on the phone? Go to dinner every once in a while? Any history there?

No matter your opinions or experiences with Glen, in this case you have to admit that he's at least trying to do something. Something to keep the business and track days in general moving forward. Which is more than you can say for other organizers who are either jumping ship or just barely getting by while waiting for someone else to make a move. I think NCCar will be just fine. But if it doesn't pan out, at least somebody gave it a shot.

Ever hear the story about 4 monkeys in a lab experiment? Researchers hung a banana from the top of their cage and every time one of them reached for it they would receive an electric shock. The monkeys soon stopped reaching for the banana. One monkey was removed from the experiment and replaced with a new one. The shocks were also removed from the experiment. The monkeys were free to grab the banana whenever they wished. Yet when the new monkey reached for the banana, the other 3 kicked the shit out of him. Even though they didn't receive a shock.

You think any of that might be going on here?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

To give you an idea - WERA walked away from $100,000 - profit - at Pocono. No I do not consider Pocono East or any other version of Pocono safe right now. Jennings? Yes. Otherwise we wouldn't race there.

Track day safety and racing safety is no different. If you have a bike at speed crash it doesn't make a damned bit of difference who rented the track.

What does hanging out with Glen have to do with anything?

Putting on events at unsafe tracks is NOT moving anything forward. With just that one statement you've proven my point about the idiocy of people defending their favorite org or their local track. There is no way in hell anyone could objectively say that.

16. mavrik82

If we are going to split hairs, no race track is safe on a motorcycle, but they very greatly vary in degrees of danger. I haven't ridden all the WERA tracks, do they all have unlimited runoff for bike or are there areas that you to use airfence to protect your riders? I would never argue your credentials in the field of track safety but blasting the track with nothing more than a crappy photo has most of us assuming you have an agenda more than concern for our safety. I never thought for a minute I could get you to open you mind, I only hoped to keep others from taking your opinion as gospel, considering the lack of information about the track that you actually possess.
    Let me recap for those here that aren't sheep. 30ish riders,many of them racers, went to the track with the same anxiety about that corner.all were told by management to pay attention and give them feedback about barrier placement. We had none set up yet. Within a few laps none of us were concerned about that corner. We rode all day without barriers and regularly discussed were and how many would be placed. Unless someone makes a hard right at turn in, impact in that airfence or getting a bike over it would be a hugely unlikely occurrence .
    On the subject of "no way I could pass that one up", "walked away from $100,000 profit at pocono", damn, you should give bigger trophies ! :)

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What part of walked away did you miss?

What more information do I need? That there is guardrail there now?

Yeah. Still not enough room between the pavement and guardrail for me. How is that so hard to understand? Barriers? The guardrail IS a barrier. Id you're talking some sort of softer option - that is better than metal for sure. But still doesn't change anything I said.

As for people taking my word as gospel, that's up to them. My opinion is formed based on my experience. What's yours in setting up racetracks? How many times have those 30ish riders set up a racetrack? What is Glens?

I am curious, what kind of "barrier" is TPM using?

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I just thought of something - doesn't TPM do racing too?

Wonder how that's going to work with a track that can't allow racing ever and a track that's safe for track days but not for racing.... :crackup:

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Airfence.

There are no GP Moto events scheduled at that track.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cool on the Airfence, still the best stuff out there.

Thanks for the other info too. Makes sense.