1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for a street battery

Discussion in 'General' started by volcomrr, Mar 5, 2012.

1. volcomrr

volcomrr BUDDY

I've had a Maveriyk 8-Cell battery for a few months shy of 2 years now, and ran the Gerbing heated jacket liner and glove liner on it this winter....

Now my battery is dead. :Poke:

For now I'm roll starting my bike (daily driver too :crackup:)

Anybody have a good suggestion for a street bike battery? I'm not for sure how long I'll be riding this bike but will probably get the same thing except a newer model later this year (hopefully). Currently it's an 05 600RR.

I looked at OEM batteries and they have two listed, one was ~$60 cheaper. Maybe it was the brand? The two OEM batteries listed were YUASA and FURUKAWA.

Thanks. :up:

2. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Just buy a Yuasa.....and do the pig tails for a Battery tender JR....plug her in when not use and you will be good for a few years

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

+ eleventy billion on the Battery Tender. Got 9 years out of the OEM battery that came in my busa using one.

Tip one? NEVER run a battery down, in my opinion that kills them.

6. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Yea gotta excercise those batteries..............and it also will help keep the stator and rectifire from abuse when that battery runs down...

7. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I got a replacement for my honda at batteries plus. Stock battery on my GSXR with a tender and it's going 3 years now.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Click that little link up at the top of the page for Alien Motion batteries. They are best bang for the buck LiFePO4 batteries around. They are great for a streetbike. They can sit around for months and months and barely lose any charge so you don't have to stick them on a tender over winter.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Cyclegear has/had a battery with a lifetime warranty. Ballistic in my streetbike.

10. retrorabbit

retrorabbit Active Member

I've always used Yuasa batteries in my street bikes. I ride enough that I rarely have to plug one into the tender. I've yet to have a battery failure with this brand/method.

I work for a shop. We typically sell BikeMaster (Tucker Rocky) batteries with decent success if you use a tender. Batteries Plus seems to be decent with about a 5% failure rate. AutoZone or brand X batteries are replaced daily around the shop. Spend some money for piece of mind and get a good name brand battery.

11. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Is that like those brake pads with a lifetime warranty? You know the ones where the pads last forever but you have to replace rotors & calipers every 6 months.

12. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

:crackup:

13. volcomrr

volcomrr BUDDY

Thanks for the replies. I think I can get a Yuasa through my local Cycle Gear. If I'm running the Gerbing gear do I need to plug the battery up to the tender every night? My 8-cell almost made the whole winter running the heated gear. I noticed it was really struggling when I'd run the gear on high going into work.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Battery has nothing to do with the gear. You should be fine if the rest of the system is up to the gear being on.

15. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

I agree. I ride year round in Memphis with Gerbing's gloves and have never had an issue with my CB1100F, nor the GS500 or Buell before that. I'm too cheap to buy the thermostat, so I just plug them in full-on when I need them (below 40) and use non-electric gloves above 40. In the past, I've also used a simple SPST switch to cut them on and off.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I was told by my Parts Unlimited rep that PU batteries are Yuasa's, just a different sticker at the end of the line. I'm not sure if it's true or not.

I got 9 yrs. out of the original battery in my TLS using a battery Tender and even then it didn't die, was just getting a little sluggish. I changed as prevention against getting stranded.

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

There are 3 Batteries Plus stores where you live. Im sure they have what you need in stock. Same warranty as the Yuasa with a little cheaper price.

18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That's the trick, some bikes don't have enough of a charging system to run heated gear.

Put a voltmeter on it, turn all the gear on with it running and see where your voltage is.

19. volcomrr

volcomrr BUDDY

This is what got me scratching my head. Good call and I'll def do that. I did run my heated gear on the way home (roll started my bike) and ran the gloves on high and the jacket on medium (I have the dual temp controller) and the gear worked fine. The battery only started struggling when I ran both the gloves and jacket liner on high.

My bike does have an electrical issue. Even with a fresh battery, if you run the bike to operating temperature, turn it off (say to get gas) and try to start it up, the starter won't even turn over, it'll try but quickly stop turning over. I think a wire is getting hot and not allowing the volts to go through. Several other 05/06 600rr has had this starting problem and no one has ever really figured it out. This is why I think its just a wire getting hot, prob one that is in the thick of the harness going from the starter to the cluster.

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The hot start problem sounds like heat soak of the starter rather than a charging issue.