Help me identify these flat slides please...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by bird_dog0347, Feb 27, 2012.

1. bird_dog0347

bird_dog0347 Major League Infidel

My brother passed away a few weeks ago and these were in his garage. He did not have any more carbed bikes and I know they were not on his old 95 ZX-6R so I am left trying to figure out what they are for and what they fit. Any help would be much appreciated... these are the only pics I have with me but I can get better ones or measurements if needed.

On the side it reads...

FVKD
    17SA2 ML15

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Could go on a number of bikes. Would need to know bore size and spacing to be specific. You might be able to call Sudco and give them some numbers.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Easy, they're Keihins :D

4. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

That looks a lot like an R6 TPS connector, but Sudco can tell you what they fit for sure..

5. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

They could fit any of fifty bikes. Call keihin with measurements.

6. bird_dog0347

41mm I.D. bore size, and spacing between the carbs seems to be 31mm, 40mm, 31mm.

7. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Id say 1998-2001 Yamaha R1.

8. bird_dog0347

Well, I found out they will fit a 99 zx-7R based on the measurements I took... I even have a guy that wants to buy them which is great, but I have no idea on value.

So, seriously, how much should I tell this guy? What have you guys paid for flat slides? I am just trying to recoup some of the costs from his funeral as he did not have life insurance.

9. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Call Sudco for new replacement cost but my guess is they are worth no less than $300/$400 and probably more.

10. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

New I'm sure those would be well over $1000.00.

Used and in good shape would be at least half of that I'd think.

11. ed who?

they aren't for ZX7...i can assure you im one of the wacko zx7rr guys that would know. IF you could get them to work on one and have a buyer, they are typically worth $4-600. they are getting hard to find. I just sold a back up set of my older 91-92 R ones for $450.

Again im pretty sure you have a set for a 1st gen R1..which are VERY popular and work amazing on that bike (i had a 98', 00 and 01' personally with them) i'd confirm with SUdco and then list on the R1 forums

12. bird_dog0347

Called Sudco, they are for a 98-99 ZX-9R and are pretty specific to that model. It is funny though, my brother actually does have a pair of those motors sitting in his garage in a create, they have been there for like 5-6 years and he has never touched them. I forgot all about them.

So, anyone want to buy a set of carbs? lol, or motors?

13. 11truckie

11truckie Member

ZX9 Motor

Sorry for the loss of your brother. If you go to the Vintage area of the board, you'll see that someone just bought a ZX7 of a similar era but with a bad motor. Lots of guys put ZX9 motors in the ZX7 chassis, including a recent national champion. There was lots of discussion regarding this very modification. You might want to weigh in in Vintage. If you're dangling a ZX9 motor and Keihin flatslides in front of a guy who just bought a ZX7 for $500, you might get a bite. Good luck with your sale(s).

14. bird_dog0347

That motor swap only works if you use a 94-97 ZX-9R motor, my brother and I had looked into that a long time ago when he got the motors. But yeah, I will post up an ad somewhere for them when I get a little time.

15. ed who?

nice. Well they dont need the tps on the zx7. i would hold breath on finding another zx9 guy to buy...but try.

As for the ZX7/9 swap..please dont! Dont butcher a fantastic chassis with a pig of an engine!! Save your money..put the flatslides on the 750...do a big bore kit (or drop in a 93-95 crank + big bore kit!) and enjoy an nice 135+rwhp 750 with a killer chassis! The 9 engine is VERY top heavy, revs like a truck, shifts like a rake in gravel and ruins the chassis of the ZX7