CB/SL engine swap

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Norton#357, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Norton#357

Norton#357 Well-Known Member

I am about to put a CB 350 motor in a SL 350 frame and wanted to know if anyone has done this and if you could give me any pointers.

2. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

James, depending on model/year of the SL frame, you may have to modify the left front motor mount (on the frame) to fit the left front mount lug on the CB motor. Some (or maybe all ?) of the SL motors without electric starters also had different location ( higher, I think) on that left front motor mount. Even in 350GP class, the mod would be legal, IMO. Cheers, Dave.

3. Norton#357

Thanks Dave. That was the area I was having trouble with.

4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

James, I've seen it when complete....but have never done it myself.

5. Norton#357

I wish I had a set of engine cases to play around with but I'm trying to figure out if the mount has to be moved or just modify the case where the starter mounts.
    I need names and/or pictures! We are probably a couple of weeks away from having this thing rolling.
    I'm also looking into Heidenau tires if anyone has input on them. I have a friend who has been running them and he feels they are superior to Avons.

6. CharlieY

James, I have several sets of empty CB cases in my shop.

I'm fairly certian I'm heading over to Walkers house sunday, and will drop a set off if it will help.

7. Norton#357

That would be a huge help. :up:

8. Moore007

Moore007 Well-Known Member

Watch him, he's on a spy mission. He's a wiley one. Like me , that dumb look is just a clever disguise.:tut:
    seriously, good luck with the build.

9. CharlieY

Wha, what????:crackup: of course you meant that in the nicest kinda way, right?

And just for the record, my dumb look is the real deal, dangit!!.....just ask anyone.....lets get this straight sir.....I suck AND I have a dumb look. :)

This guy has come up with some stuff Wayne....Fresh leads on Barn finds from Mike Matthews, like 20 minutes from my house! :wow: we are gonna have to watch this one Wayne :D

James is a good guy who deserves to have some things to go his way:up: I look forward to seeing him out there with a big grin.

10. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

verified.

11. Norton#357

Thanks Wayne.....I thought he was gonna steal my tank before I got out of his yard Saturday!:crackup:
    But we ended up doing some trading and I gotta say, for a guy who sucks that Charlie is all right.:up:
    CY has been a big help and has made it much easier to figure out what to do with all these old parts. It's funny but 10 years ago I would not have hauled this stuff home if it was free and now I'm like a kid in a candy store when I find a stash of old parts.
    Thanks guys.

12. Norton#357

cb350.jpg
    Just for the record, this is the tank that said perp was trying to get his hands on. Very nice piece for a barn find, so you can't blame the guy, even if he sucks.

13. CharlieY

:D

I found one of my dumb look too.:up:

Attached Files:

14. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Thats not a dumb look...................Thats a wish look...........................

15. CharlieY

Sometimes, they are the same my friend. :D

16. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

Very clean old CB, James. I had one badly damaged SL crankcase, one of those front mount lugs was deformed and cracked, so I could only compare cases, CB to SL for dimensional differences. I used a CL frame for my bike 'cause that's what I had on hand. The SL frame looks like it could be lighter, have you weighed it ? Are you building this to 350GP or V-1 rules ? Just curious. Trust me. I'm way too lazy to use any of this information to any advantage. Hell, I haven't even gotten out to the track yet. And damn, Charlie, you sure do know how to accessorize.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  17. Norton#357

OK Charlie be honest. Was that pit pass that low to cover up serious wood? Hard to not look stupid next to that!
    Wayne:
    Mike Mathews put me onto that CB and it is real nice, 10k original miles. I'm building it for 350GP, I'm using the SL frame because I had it started before I found the CB and I like the full tube frame. It looks like it will be easier to brace and it is lighter that the CB I think. I haven't been on track for 20 years but look forward to getting back.

18. CharlieY

I hadnt thought about that James....but actually, that badge is too small to even cover one of my nuts, much lees the associatted wood. :D

Yo Fossil.....WTH is up with your build?....you were making progress last we talked....???

19. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

Hi Charlie. It's finished. It runs. Family obligations and monetary limitations have kept me at home. Also gonna need a small trailer. It just never ends, does it ?

20. CharlieY

Just keep chippin away man......:up: