Pre-Race Training

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jan 23, 2012.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Ok, that sounds perfect.

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Yeah I didn't mean that either. I'd feel so bloated I wouldn't be able to move.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

You guys need to buy dirt bikes and do Hare Scrambles between races. 90 minutes minimum and you talk about being bike fit. :clap:

4. Ill remember that if/when we get a chance to workout together once your wrist gets all fixed up :D

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

When you come up, I'll bring you to one of the pedal classes. It'll get your heart rate up, just a little. :D

6. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I highly suggest doing Crossfit WOD's

I literally have been in the best shape of my life since I started doing the WOD's a few months prior to the TT last year

I mountain bike 2-3 times/week during the warm months, spinning during the cold months, and the occasional extra 1-2 mile run if I feel like I need some more cardio along with the WOD

nothing has been better

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Well-Known Member

See "dunkin donuts" post.

8. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

try having longer sex. i read it burns like 1000 calories per hour. so you're probably burning like 50 calories or so right now at your current pace. think outside the box! :D

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well it's only 50 during the actual sex. The 2 hours spent trying to catch the goat probably burns more.

10. gpstar748

:clap:

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

AMA pros train with a decent amount of cardio because they typically run races that are like 20 laps/30 minutes in length.

Longest race I go is 25min........won't even think about an endurance race yet :D

So i just make sure I can run on the eliptical for a good hard 35 minutes and I'm happy. I do weights 5 days a week with cardio following 4 of them (skip cardio on leg day).

For me tons of cardio for a 12 minute sprint race is overkill.......unless I was trying to drop weight.

12. anupe

anupe Searching for consistency

+1 Doing Hare Scrambles will let you know what kind of shape you are in for sure! Especially, if you are C rider and have to pick the bike up a ton. You'll find out real quick if you are in shape or not.

13. jsmalnar

jsmalnar III_I

Just started Crossfit. :wow: Definitely hoping for some good results by April.

Have you modified your WODs to lower weights to prevent putting on too much muscle mass? One of my concerns, as I'm not built up now, is that I'll end up putting on weight due to the increased muscle mass. Even though I probably have ~20lbs of fat to lose. Too many of these ->:beer: haha.

Thanks for the info!

14. gpstar748

I have found that a majority of the workouts involve so many reps and are cardio in nature due to the time oriented training that you wont get huge. it is a workout based on real life strength needs and general fitness needs which I really like. I found it perfect for me because I CANNOT go on the average persons workout routine of doing the same thing every week, I get bored and quit. The WOD's keep me on my toes.

I do modify some of them simply because I cannot do the weight they call for or I cannot do the actual exercise (muscle-ups come to mind). There are also a few that my gym does not have the equipment for so I have to improvise.

Then again I have weighed about 160-165 for the past 5-6 years no matter how much or how little I work out. I do not get "big" when I workout but I always do a decent amount of cardio and high reps no matter what I've done...

15. Ok, sounds like a good idea. But first, answer me this...

...WTF is a "Hare Scramble"?

Is that where you get on dirt bikes and chase rabbits through the woods?

16. jsmalnar

jsmalnar III_I

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Today, my gym had separate Metabolic Conditioning and Strength Training WODs. I'm the same way with getting bored of the same routine. Plus I've haven't done much strength training before so it's nice to have the instructors to help with technique and scaling the WODs.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hare+scramble :Poke:

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTq3jjaIIzQ&feature=related

Something like that. Just like road racing, the video does no justice to the speed and slope of some of the larger hills. Clint's just a bit faster than I am, so I know how fast he's actually going.

Oh, "Teeeeeeen seconds...."

18. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

lmfao:beer::beer:

19. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

I've raced mountain bike, downhill mountain bike, a few road races, roadrace motorcycles....hare scrambles are BY FAR the hardest thing I've ever done. They just flat out pound the shit out of you, completely exhausted by the end. If you can get fit enough to finish one strong thats a pretty impressive feat. The afternoon GNCC is a whole other beast, that adds another hour and a worn out course to start on....I'm starting to miss those things.

20. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

I was a good bit heavier and carried more muscle a few years back weighing about 215-225lbs. After I broke my foot, I really changed my mindset and started training for running races and for triathlons. I could ride on a bike for an hour easily at race pace and still have plenty to go if needed. I added in some supermoto this winter and some motox to keep myself on a bike during the off season hoping to see some even better result. I dropped to 163lbs (at my lightest) and at my home track went 3 seconds faster than I ever had before. Was it all the weight and training?? I have no idea, but nothing else had changed. In fact the r6 I was using was just about as bone stock as you can get for a proper race bike and i would say "under-built" compared to my previous ones.

To get back to your original question...I would work out until the day you leave..hell sometimes I even cram in an early work out before leaving...but I would taper down to make sure I was not sore come race time.