Fitness studs: What's best heart rate for losing weight?

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Nov 18, 2011.

1. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm 37 and fat. Worked out off and on for years and "used" to be in really good shape in college. I'm back in the gym and making good progress, lost 18 pounds in the past 2 months.

My question to you guys is I have yet to get a definitive answer on how hard to work out in order to maximize weight loss. The trainer at my gym said go hard and keep it at around 85% of max. (approx. 155 bpm) All the workout machine say 60% of max and my buddy who's a super hardcore bicyclist in peak physical condition says keep it around 140ish bpm. The problem is I feel like I'm hardly working at all and barely breaking a sweat at 140-150. I usually do the bike or elliptical machine for 35 minutes and my heart rate stays at 165-175. I sweat a ton and feel like I'm making progress. At this elevated rate, I've been told I'm only improving my cardiovascular endurance and not maximizing fat loss. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the idea of working out at a less intense pace to lose weight? I think I've hit a temporary plateau since I haven't lost anything in almost 3 weeks now.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for your advice.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

I believe that when your working too hard, your body will tap into your muscle tissue for energy because it is easier for the body to convert/"eat" muscle when its in dire need, but you'll still be burning some fat.

The target fat loss range makes your body work but it will target the fat because its not in distress mode, and senses that it doesn't need the energy NOW, therefore preserving your muscle and going for the next best thing(stored fat).

However if your consuming protein before cardio it is said to help preserve muscle because proteins absorption/synthesis throws off the bodys attempt at attacking the muscle.

I don't think I'm talking out of my ass but if I am someone correct me

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Whatever the heart rate you get from smoking meth is the best to lose weight. You ever see a fat crank addict?

4. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I lost 130lbs three years ago and have kept it off.

Keep your heartrate above 85%. Do intervals if you can, if you can't, then do 'lsd' (long-slow distance).

If you overtrain (can't get the heartrate up, but it's elevated in the morning, you feel tired and irritable) take electrolyte supplements 20min before exercise.

I do 2hrs long-slow pretty much daily. I slack and I gain weight.

Your bicycling buddy is in peak shape, and 140bpm training is about right (mine's about 143 when I'm on it). If I take a few days off (travel) and return, first two days on the bike/elliptical I can hit 173 if I really push, by the end of the week I'm back down in the 140's.

I still am skeptical if you NEED a HRM to lose weight - If you're sweating hard and still running comfortably, I'd say you're doing fine and will lose weight.

5. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Drag the elipitcal workout out to 60 min and decrease your hr to 145-150 and the fat will melt off. Losing fat isn't about exertion...it's about time. 145-150 @ 1 hour is much more efficient at burning fat than 35 at 165-175.

6. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

60 to 80 percent of your max. Heart rate

7. onepusher

onepusher Socially Inappropriate

Im in no way certified to give workout advice but I have hit 200BPM on the HRM before on the bike! Is that good? I would say time and distance will be better than short and fast. Last Friday I burned 3500 calories on a long bike ride. Might want to get you a bike and do some riding. There's a reason racers do a lot of cycling.

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:stupid:

If you are tyring to lose weight, this is a must. And, I would suggest trying for 50 to 60 minutes of exercise.

No sprinting or anything above 80% until the endurance is there. No sense in beating yourself up. Your body will start eating "eat"self and shut the fat eating mechanism if is stressed.

Running is the best way. Everything else is cross-training. IMO

9. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Protein after exercise. This is the problem most runners have. They don't eat after long runs.

11. RB

RB Well-Known Member

Eat less.

12. TZ925

TZ925 I do it for His glory!

Consider mixing in some strength training.

Cardio exercise elevates your metabolism DURING the exercise and for a short time as you recover afterwards. Mixing in some full body anaerobic strength training 2-3 times per week will increase your resting metabolic rate AFTER and BETWEEN exercise sessions. Kind of like turning your idle up a few hundred rpms, you'll burn through more fuel (fat) as you idle.

The web is full of great tips and a bunch of BS as well. Find a cardio exercise you like and stick with it. Mix in a day or maybe two of some interval training (you have to really get after it during the intervals or you won't reap the benefits) and three to four days of longer, lower intensity cardio (45-90 minutes).

Are you working out at home or at a gym?

13. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

Right. But my understanding is that a small amount before *high intensity* cardio triggers protein absorption which interrupts the process of the body trying to metabolize muscle during your workout.

14. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Werd

15. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the reply's everyone. Sounds like I need to stretch out the cardio and tone it down a notch. TZ925 touched on strength training, great advice. When I'm at the gym I always do some sort of strength training and try to keep the reps high and rest period to 30 seconds. I don't go too heavy as my left shoulder has bothered me in the past. I also box (heavy bag) and alternate with the jump rope. This usually wears me out faster than anything. Usually it's 30 minutes of weights and 35 minutes of cardio.

Another thing I need to work on is drinking more water. I've heard a gallon/day but I have yet to drink that much. Getting close though.

16. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

You must change your diet as well. Cut out ALL refined sugars.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Wut the fat-soluble nutritional supplement said.

Workouts and exercise regimens are great, but if your diet is still horseshit your results will suffer.

Plateuing is a common "symptom" of a diet too high in carbs-once you begin to lose weight but don't adjust your diet to fats/proteins, the weight will stop dropping and you may even see a weight increase despite the exercise.

Consider a primal/paleo diet in addition to the physical stuff. You'll likely find your energy is more sustained and your sleep needs decrease when you rid your diet of carbs. It's more expensive and less convenient when you've got to plan your meals around cooking meats vs. picking up a sammich at Subway.

Hit the Gooooooglies for paleo and primal dieting, you'll see lots of hits for Mark Sisson, his website is marksdailyapple.com (which is kinda funny, cuz apples aren't especially good for you, being high in fructose :D).

18. DARK STAR KAOS

DARK STAR KAOS Life before riding

Buying more horsepower is easier

19. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I hit slightly above 200BPM on really extreme efforts, almost only when I'm racing though.

Long climbs (say, 30+ minutes) at max sustainable pace is between 170 - 185 for me.

If you're going to start cycling for fitness, you HAVE TO vary what you do. Not only to maximize your training, but because you will get bored to death and quit riding if you keep doing the same shit.

If you're really serious about cycling, I suggest riding on a rotating 2 week schedule. It will take a while to figure out what works for you individually, but you need to mix long climbing rides (my very favorite) with intense rides and intervals, then take it easier the next week, do a few rides + cross training (gym, running, whatever). No one can tell you exactly what to do, you have to try things out and see what works.

20. onepusher

onepusher Socially Inappropriate

Werd!