Neck protection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by compmoto, Sep 28, 2010.

1. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

The vest is not designed to survive a long "slide across the track". The vest is designed to take the initial impact in any crash situation. If it make the difference between broken ribs and bruised ribs then it is well worth the money to buy a new one. As a amateur racer I have to go to work on Monday after a race weekend. If I have a accident that causes me to miss work AND have to visit the ER or other medical help, then that is WAY more expensive than the under $400 I would spend on a totally new vest.

I have crashed in the Neck Vest twice and the vest is still usable, total cost $40 for 2 new CO2 cartridges. I have crashed twice wearing the JV vest. The second time was a 100 foot + slide down and across turn 6 at Infineon Raceway. I melted a hole right through the vest AFTER it had taken the initial impact, cost about $400 for a new vest, no injuries from both crashes PRICELESS!!!!

The basic cost formula looks like this:

Investment in Vest < (Cost of ER visit + Time off work + Pain)

I dont ride without one because it simply WORKS :up: and I have plenty of other track riders and racers who will tell you that as well. Let me know if you want some contact info for them

2. craigcoble2000

craigcoble2000 Well-Known Member

Can you please advise me on what vest(s) are being used and there differences, if any, for road racers. I am 5'10 and 170lbs.

3. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

No problem :D

There are 3 different models that I think the Road Racer/Track Day rider should look at

1. MLV -Lightweight, offers the best all round protection for Neck, Spine, Lower back and ribs. The CO2 on the right side of the chest, some riders find gets in the way when they move across the bike to the left.

2. Neck Vest - Lighter than the MLV but ONLY has Neck protection. The DOUBLE airbag protects the neck and helmet during a crash situation. I choose to wear this one personally when I am racing as I already have a hard back protector under my suit. Just a personal preference

3. Racer Vest - Designed with the trackday/racer in mind. The CO2 is moved to the rear of the vest to avoid the "tank" issue for some riders. The protection is similar to the MLV minus the tail bone area, so neck back and ribs. It also comes in Red, Blue or Black and has velcro panels you can remove to sew sponsor patches on

I am happy to discuss with you give us a call at 877 250 6686 :up:

4. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

really??? Ive heard from several TOP doctors, including Costa! They all say its nothing to do with Helmet "hitting" collar bone! its from the side impact, its meant to break to save from more damage, its God's safety device i guess..lol but again i have never heard a Dr say the helmet hit the collar bone breaking it...just saying what i was told..i have done mine twice..now nice 4" plate and 7 screws :)

5. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

6. craigcoble2000

Cost of MLV and Neck vest?

7. candl101

candl101 Active Member

I would think an extended slide on pavement would cause a hole in the vest.

So what. It's cheap insurance when you consider that it may save the cost of a helmet, not to mention broken bones.

Lea Cutshall

8. gogi

gogi Well-Known Member

Neck

We use the Safe moto air vests,saved my partners neck in a crash at Millville

9. craigcoble2000

which vest was he wearing? MLV or neck vest?

10. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Already mentioned this but will say it again. I wear the neck vest and have to say I am really pleased. I have not crashed with it yet but I do not notice it at all when I am wearing it...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  11. Pure Sportbikes

Pure Sportbikes www.puresportbikes.com

That was an email that I sent to Alan back at the start of the season. I didn't know he had posted it here, nor did I write it as an advertisement. I just really loved the product and wanted to share my feedback. I loved the extra protection I was able to have when I crashed and woke up the next day without being the least bit sore. That has NEVER happened before.

I went on to crash a couple more times this year, trying to push myself maybe a little too hard my rookie season of racing (but glad I did, LOL) A few lowsides in the rain and I was able to repack the MLV vest to go on to re-use it. One highside when my inside knee hit the curbing in T3 at Summit Main and the vest (and bike) was completely trashed, but I was able to put the bike back together and borrowed a buddies vest for the next day to go out and get my first podium finish of the year! I crashed in the same turn last year, same highside, and ruptured two discs in my lower back, so when I got up from this crash with the vest inflated, feeling no pain, it was money well invested.

Unfortunately, the last race of the season I got tangled up with a few other riders and I got hit by a bike, tumbling like a rag doll. I think the vest tore, or had a tear that I didn't inspect previously, and didn't stop the subsequent damage I endured being hit by the bike, hitting the ground, then another bike before finally stopping. I ended up with a dislocated collarbone at the sternum, fractured sternum, broken rib, and some severe bruising to my lungs and chest. I'm sure a chest protector would have greatly reduced my injuries, but the fact that the vest didn't work that one time won't stop me from wearing it again in the future.

Every crash is different, but it's the initial impact that seems to do the most damage. I won't ride without one again. Trust me, I don't care who you are, or what kind of protection you've been wearing...once you ride and crash wearing an airbag vest type protection, you'll be a believer as well. The best way I can try to describe it is like crashing on pillows. Seriously.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  12. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I have been looking into this and thinking about for some time, like many on here.
    I have recently found you tubes from 2 business selling the Leatt. I am not affiliated with Leatt or either organization, just putting out what I have found. Not sure which to get since in running through the features and possible scenarios for the use of either the brace or the air bag systems they both have pluses and minuses. It would be nice to hear from folks who have used or handled both.
    Links: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=10454
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1hPZYxMspo&feature=player_embedded