1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you buy a V6 Turbo F-150?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Sep 27, 2010.

1. foster

foster Well-Known Member

Bump...so now that its broken in what kind of mileage are you getting?

2. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

+1

Interested in an update.

3. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Apparently 3000 miles is when they're considered broken in because that's when people say they noticed a mileage improvement. I'm not there yet.

Most of my driving is pulling a 6x14 trailer. 12.5-13.5 MPG @ 65-70mph

17.5-18 mpg @70mph on the highway without it. But the overall average for a tankful is more like 14.5-15.

4. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I wouldn't expect any better with how you're driving.

Ford's #'s are the truck driven very conservatively.

5. 713

713 Well-Known Member

Any updates on gas mileage or problems with the truck would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

6. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

i get better than that with a durango with a hemi, i pull a 4500lb toy hauler and get 12 and get 23 going 65 to 70,
    sounds like a turbo v6 is the way to go... :Poke:

7. SVbadguy

Doubtful, my Dakota 5.2 never saw better than 17mpg unloaded. Then again you live in FL. Here there are lots of ups and downs.

Still less than 4000 miles on mine. Mileage has stayed the same. I have heard of some people getting an ECU update from Ford that improves the mileage. I'll be checking on that when I take it in for the first oil change.

The only issue I have to report is that several times during my last trip to the track, when stomping on it to pass or to accelerate up a hill when merging into traffic I have basically lost all engine power. I was towing a 6x14' trailer during this time.

It's like hitting a rev limiter when ignition is cut to some cylinders. Not at cool to have happen when I pull into the opposing lane to pass on a two lane road when the passing zone is limited. I've towed the trailer several times before and driven just the same without these occurrences.

On the Ecoboost forum I've gotten responses from a few people that have experienced the same thing. I plan on setting up my video camera in the truck and trying to reproduce it.

8. MMX

MMX Well-Known Member

i pull a enclosed 12x7 with a 2007 f150 v6.. sure when i get into wv or TN i take it easy on her but it does do the job.,. just not at 80 mph

9. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

Actually i now live in michigan, i had a older durango with a 5.2 and that thing was a pig. I drive gently usually under 70 and i take off slow in town. But the best i could do with my 2000 with the 5.2 was around what your saying. The hemi is awesome on gas, pulling on the expressway i usually do 62 or 63 and will pull 13mpg easy on flat ground going up north last weekend through the hills in a wind storm we got 10.9.

10. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

That's the opposite of what I've heard about the hemi. I think you're the first person I've heard say anything positive about the hemis fuel mileage.

Of coarse getting 13mpg while only driving 63mph really isn't that great. Speed up to a more average 70 or 75 and it will probably drop into the single digits.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  11. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Sounds as if it's hitting overboost and it's shutting down.

Does it have a boost guage??? :confused:

If not, maybe put one on it so you can see what's up.

On my Old School Turbo Dodges hitting overboost is like hitting a brick wall.... :eek:

12. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I pull at 20 ft toy hauler with a Ram 1500 short bed short cab Hemi and it drinks like a sailor on his first leave in 24 months.

13. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I usually get 18/19 on the freeway with my Dodge Hemi, I've gotten a bit over 20 at 70mph on cruise control but since they've been adding more ethanol it's more like 17/18. At least that's what I got on a trip to Ft. Bragg last week. Pulling my 6X10 trailer usually means I lose a mile or two per gallon depending on how fast I'm driving. I can pull it over the sierra's full of gear and two bikes without it shifting out of overdrive. Don't really notice it back there unless I have to stop quickly.

14. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

I am wondering the same thing. The turbo Mazda's use a fuel cut when they overboost. Wonder if Ford did the same with the f150? Seems like the variable geometry turbos have some serious lag in the control circuits, on the cummins ism i have seen 8psi spike over running boost pressure when at higher rpms and going from cruise throttle to full throttle.... Wonder if ford is experiencing the same?

15. SVbadguy

I did a long trip over the weekend without the trailer and finally got the claimed MPG over the course of the tank. Still had about 5 gallons left until empty.

Attached Files:

16. yamahaareone

yamahaareone Well-Known Member

17. dom

dom Dom-N-Ator Racing

Just picked up my ecoboost today. Love it! I got a black xlt 4x4 off road.

havent driven it much yet obviously but it got approval from the dog.