1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on the L1 gsxr 600/750

Discussion in 'Tech' started by masshole, Sep 21, 2011.

1. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Looking into maybe switching from my 08 gsxr 750 to the 2011 model.

What's different on the new bike? What carries over as far as setting up suspension geometry? What amount of my spare bits and pieces are interchangeable etc.

Thanks

2. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

- I really like the airbox mounting design on the 2011, at least for service. No more of those annoying hose-type clamps to fiddle with, and the ECU is finally mounted in front of the airbox, hopefully it's safer there if you ever happen to flip the bike and lose the subframe.
    - I think the rear race shocks will mount from previous 06-09 models but you will have to shim it as the new shocks are longer.
    - I don't think you'll be blown away with the new Brembo calipers (is it the same stuff as the Ducati 848?) .
    - They are a little bit lighter as well. We got our 600 down to 350 lbs with the OEM battery. p.s. Moto Holders makes nice subframes and bird cages.
    - I also heard that cams from 06-09 will drop in as well if you want to experiment with profiles.
    - As far as geometry goes we didn't have to be as aggressive with dropping the forks within the clamps as with previous models.

I really like the 2011 600, hope the 2012 1000 is as good.

3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Thanks doubleapex.

4. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

You can also use the same aftermarket case covers on the new bikes.

5. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Buy Vesrah's 2011 they are for sale, Mark's bikes are always top notch and you cant buy a stocker and build it for less.

6. stow

stow Well-Known Member

Best money you will ever spend on a bike. :up:

7. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

How about the wheels, are they interchangeable?

8. auz_gsxr

auz_gsxr Well-Known Member

No

9. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

That sucks. Do you know what has changed on the new bike? Axles, spacing, offsets?

10. auz_gsxr

auz_gsxr Well-Known Member

Axel and spacing I believe

11. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Thanks for the input guys.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

From what I've seen they look like they need to be raised just as much as the older ones.

[​IMG]

13. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

The AMA/DMG guys seem to be raising them like the previous gen.

When chatting with Thermosman he seems to have them figured out already, may want to give him a call.

14. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

you cant look at someones top triple clamp and assume "they need to be raised way up" unless you know what the internal fork length is (GP Supsension 25mm kit for instance is 10mm LONGER than the Ohlins 30mm kit so the same two bikes will have forks 10mm difference in the clamps for same R/H)

also mark/vesrah/cory west seem to like a lot of trail in his 600's. Maybe cause Cory is a demon on the brakes? or just his riding style? But again you dont know what they are running for rear height either...that affects the front RH too..

No two bikes will be the same unless you have the exact fork internals at each other. You have to get the actual RH measurements. Just saying. But in general yes, the 08+ (even 11') GSXR600's like a bit more trail/forks pushed down than other bikes

15. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

+1 to eric

His points are exactly why measuring from the top of the lower triple to some part of the fork bottom is so important. It is the only way to take out the other variables.

16. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Does the newer bike make more power? :confused:

17. Europa

Europa Open The Throttle

Only when you twist the throttle all the way and keep it there!...lol

18. HobbesHas1

HobbesHas1 Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing the 2011 model being enough of a game changer to upgrade from '08 for the average club racer, no?

I'm thinking of building a 750 soon and think that starting with a fresh '08 in good condition wouldn't be that far off of the mark from a 2011 model in race trim.

I'd greatly appreciate some opinions on that too.

19. up side is the new GSXR's are fitted up with brembo from factory!

20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Bump...After a year, anybody have any real race experience with the '11/'12 GSXR 600/750's?
    How did they compare to the 06-09's?

I've got a race-ready 07 600, 08 600....I'm building an 08 750 and will be building an '11 750 for the season, which won't start for me til May-ish.