Bike training with the GF...how to make it harder?

Discussion in 'General' started by D-Swens, Sep 14, 2011.

1. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

That's funny. My wife worked at a shop and so most of our jersey's came from there. Frequently we would put the same thing on independently. She would always make me go change.

2. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

And she rides a...GIANT! baddaboom!

3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

4. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

I have the same issue. With cycling, I simply have to accept that I will be spending time with my wife, not training. I have upped the pace a little by getting her comfortable riding tight in my draft, but it only works on flats. As someone mentioned before, try to time it so that the ride with your GF is your recovery ride - this works out perfectly for me.

BTW, great tip on the ankle weights!

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Go out for a ride before riding with her, then relax/recover. MTB might help but I can cruise faster on my MTB with knobbies than my wife rides on her road bike. And she has a decent road bike. I won't buy crap bikes. Otherwise just figure your going for the company and it won't be much of a workout.

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Get a tow strap and pull her along. Just make sure she knows she has to brake for both of you or she'll run over the strap and do a face plant and never want to ride with you again. Wait a minute.....??:D

7. Tifosi

Tifosi Well-Known Member

Ditto, all of your rides shouldn’t be high-intensity. Concentrate on your high intensity rides (hill repeats, hill attacks, intervals, sprints, etc.) during the week and then focus on your endurance/recovery rides on the weekends. We typically do 50-mile Zone 1/Zone 2 rides on the weekends…good endurance building ride with plenty of chit-chat time with your sig-other:up:

Cheers

8. ProfessorX

ProfessorX Well-Known Member

This is my recommendation, rather than giving yourself some sort of handicap. It sounds like you treat your training seriously and want to get the most out of it. Get in your workout and then ride together at a pace acceptable to both of you. The challenge of this approach is scheduling when and where you will meet up. On a relaxed distance day, maybe you both start out together and then you drop her off before continuing on.

9. sk8rat

sk8rat Well-Known Member

I just ride behind her and work on my spin and every now and again ill have to stretch my legs on her

10. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

I use it as a recovery ride,although shes upping the pace to 17-18 avg.I'll also put her through some intervals and then spin behind her with heels up or heels down,really concentrating on keeping the knees on the bar and a good pedal stroke and all that other good stuff......pretty soon she'll pedal past me just like the run :bow:

11. Brutus

Brutus Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned a mountain bike -- I put on road/off road tires on a older model Specialized Stump Jumper. Get a decent backpack, throw in a towel and two 30 pound dumbbells. Stay in high gear and ride while wearing the backpack. You'll get a workout, trust me.

:rock:

12. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

If you have a road bike already, do what Rick said. Use the ride you go on with her as a recovery ride and if you want an extra challenge, pick one crank gear and 2 rear gears and stick with them the whole ride.

If you have a mountain bike, take that.

I run into the same situation w my wife. I'm running a MB w "street, light trail" tires and pedal w a bunch of crazys for training and just take it easy when I'm out with her. It's actually kind of nice.

13. RR_Kid

RR_Kid Formerly YZF600boy

[​IMG]

Get one of these........and invite friends...:up:

They look like they are having a "SUPER " good time!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  14. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Umm pedal faster??
    Quite simple.......