Bike training with the GF...how to make it harder?

Discussion in 'General' started by D-Swens, Sep 14, 2011.

1. D-Swens

D-Swens sniffin paint fumes

"haha...that's what she said!"

...all jokes aside though, I wanted to pick the brains of those that train on bicycles. I've gotten really into biking in the last year, and really enjoy it as a training tool and workout session. Problem is, the girlfriend wants to come ridding on the weekends, and still wants to make it a workout. There is a pretty big difference between the 2 of us in speed and conditioning on the bike, so I'm trying to find out if anybody has any methods they use to "slow down" their bikes and make the workout harder.

For example, when we run together, I use 10 lb. weights on my ankels to make it harder and slow me down so we can run together and I can still get a good workout in. Are there any methods people use to slow down there bikes, or add resistance ect, so that you can ride with a slower rider and still get a workout? I really can't convince myself to just hold the brakes and pedal against them the whole time...

Thanks...

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Peddle a 35lb mountain bike with knobbies.

In grass and sand.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

get one of those parachutes you use for sprint training

[​IMG]

4. gaitherb

gaitherb Well-Known Member

Gearing. I ride with some folks that are slower, but when I do, I force myself to ride "fixed" gear...I select a reasonably difficult gear and ride that gear the entire ride without changing gears. You will get a workout that way.

5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Best solution: Ditch the girlfriend completely on serious training rides. I know, I know, they get pissed off that you're out riding for hours and wonder why you can't ride together. Failing that, there are a couple things you can do (the solutions from the wags notwithstanding). Weekends should be for long rides, without the girlfriend.

1. Interval training on a circular course or circuit. I live near the Rose Bowl, so I have a very convenient place if I take my wife. It will necessitate leaving her behind while you work on your intervals, but you will be at the same place doing the same thing, and start and finish at the same time.

2. Mountain riding or hills. You will leave her behind on climbs, but you can wait for her at various regroup points.

3. Big ring intervals while climbing. This is akin to weight training on the bicycle, and you'll be riding slowly enough that she should be able to keep up somewhat, depending on how slow she is compared to you.

The best compromise is to ride with her weekday evenings at a sedate pace after you've done your real training (either immediately after, or train in the morning before work). Use those times with your girl as a recovery ride. Go out and train by yourself or with people at your level on weekends. There is zero training value from riding at an easy pace.

6. tlovely

tlovely Well-Known Member

Ride a BMX bike. Slam the seat down so you are standing the whole time. See if you can make those 20" wheels keep up with her 26"s

Then, after that becomes too easy for you, just sprint up to speed and manual (wheelie w/o pedaling) down the road till she catches back up to you.

Or... jack the seat all the way up and learn to ride long sit down wheelies. Practice at home, then you can wheelie all around the paddock. Then bask in the glory of all the people you just impressed. ...im telling you, it works!

7. bdaddy

bdaddy Well-Known Member

Ride everything in 53/11.

8. john westcott

john westcott Well-Known Member

Drop the air pressure in the tires= more friction.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You shouldn't go hard every single ride anyway. Use the girlfriend ride as a soft pedal recovery ride and enjoy the time with her rather than trying to figure out how to turn an enjoyable ride into punishment.

10. kosta

kosta Well-Known Member

When my wife was starting back seriously, we would ride the tandem (Co-Motion). It was a real workout for me, especially in hills and it let her "keep up" with the group ride. Of course now, after stepping up her training for 6 gap in a week, she can drop me at will....and does.

11. kangasj

kangasj Banned

That is funny. The first thing i thought when I read the title was while on the bike, have her face you and put her feet on your shoulders .

12. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

That's the first thing that came to mind for me... just don't get that sucker caught in the rear tire... :wow:

13. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

Fixed gear/Single Speed.

14. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. Wife loves to ride with me but knows I am chomping at the bit to go fast.

I started to do alot of jumps on our rides. I let her get ahead and then do a 100% effort sprint/jump to catch her. I do this 10 or so times in a 20 mile ride.

As mentioned above, do all climbing in a huge gear and sprint up the hills too.

On flatter roads, get her into your pocket and pull her along. My wife really benefited and got faster in my draft. It also helped her mentally to feel like she was improvoing and that she could hang for a bit. Despite me riding way slower than I do alone, it is still fun enough and still time on the bike.

Another thing that really helped with my bicycle racing was to goof off and ride slow in weird gears (too high or low), looking at the scenery and not paying attention. My Wife would to try sneak a jump and sprint by and I instantly and almost instictively would jump on her wheel in whatever gear I was in. Sometimes, I would be wrecked from a race or too many hard riding days in a row and it helped to keep me on my toes. Now in a race, I can almost always see/feel/hear an attack starting from behind. Mental training and bike handling is key and this type of training is very beneficial.

15. You could take this even further, and ride a 45lb dh mtb!:D

Seriously though, I have the same problem when I ride with my dad who is 64. I just look at it as a recovery ride, and good quality time spent with my dad. Plus, Im helping his fitness. You could look at riding with you gf in the same way. Also, if there are any hills in your ride, sprint up them then ride back down and sprint up again.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  16. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Get a tandem bike and matching outfits. :D

You'll both work harder and look soooo cute together doing it.

17. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

yea i used to do that with my ex some. i had my 14.5lb road bike and she had some $300 hybrid piece of shit with big ass tires. soooo... it was basically a coasting session for me. but i just looked at it like it was a nice way to cruise around and have a chat between her huffs and puffs. occassionally i'd just blast off for a little then wait for her to catch back up. its all in your perspective on the outting. if that's your only real time to get a good training session in, then let her come out with you another night or something.

riding my mtb on the street now cause i switched up, would definitely even the odds for her more. i probably avg. 12mph now, where before was like 20mph. i agree with people above, just ride a mtb when she's out riding with you.

18. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

:crackup:

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

As soon as I read this, I pictured you and 155......... :D

20. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

LOL... The triathlon the other week, we were going back and forth on the cycling segment. Trying not to laugh at the slowest draft pass down a straight that either of us has been in... We were side by side at one point. Neither would look at the other and both of us trying no to laugh or get passed.