1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben Spies' helmet?

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Aug 31, 2011.

1. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I have been racing with one all year, and not one issue. The issue was if he hit the release on the front of it, on the windscreen, it unlocked it. For me at least, in attack, I am not close enough to the screen to hit it. I would think his screen is pretty custom for him, so it is probably more likely.

I have never had mine open, and it locks pretty damn secure.

2. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

How do you like it?

3. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I am not a big fan of Monster Energy drinks, but I do like this helmet...

4. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Love it. I have been a Shoei wearer for years now, butgot this one at a good price, so I gave it a chance. It is lighter, vents just as well, just as stable at speed, and on my head slightly more comfortable even. Really good helmet

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Decal of YOUR choice over decal of THEIR choice...

6. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

That visor is not open, that is his tear off that makes it look ajar. His visor is fully closed in your picture. Is that what your asking?

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

No

read what I said over it again, be sure to watch the youtube video closely.

8. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

:up:

9. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

THIS

10. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

cool. I had an HJC CL-SP that I wore my first season. Then I got an Arai. I put the HJC back on for some reason, and it felt like I had a spackle bucket on my head lol. I am going to get fitted by HJC at this international motorcycle show this off season and see how it is.

11. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Yea. I can't say I would wear any of hugs other helmets. Never tried. But the rose 10 is nice

12. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I've always had shoei helmets but the new RPS-10 is a huge step up for HJC. basically it looks like someone at HJC watched an Arai/Shoei "how it's made" video and said, hey we can make helmets like that as well. AFAIK it's made by hand and uses a lot of the same composites. The liner is a big step up compared to any other HJC and the comfort is great. I ended up with another X12 but the HJC RPS-10 is at least as good as most of the Shoei/Arai helmets on the market and much better than any other asian/chinese I've tried on.

And I agree with the poster that said that he must have hit the release in the center of the visor. with it locked, I can't see how it would open at any speed. But they did move the new locking mechanism to the front center of the visor so that would be my guess (hit the windscreen with it or something). it's a better lock/closing mechanism than most helmets (i.e. it's all in one place vs having to close it then move a lever or snap a plastic piece or something).

13. 418

418 Expert #59

How is buying a HJC "skimping" on a helmet? :rolleyes:

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It used to be a huge jump down. Now? Hell if I know but the new HJCs do look tasty.

Someone, send me one and I'll let you know what I think. :D

15. 418

418 Expert #59

You'd have to be blind not to see a obvious difference between the finish quality of a Arai and a HJC. But does that make a Arai any safer?

Speaking of Arai, have you seen '11 Haga Monza Rep Riders Discount is offering? Tasty.

I'm thinking about it. :D

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know there are GP racer who buy their own Arais since they don't get sponsored by them - even when offered deals from other helmet companies. Their reason? They are safer. Do they know everything about helmet safety? Of course not but they have some pretty telling experience.

All in all I freely admit I know nothing about the high end HJC's. I do know I personally saw more concussions on racetracks from their lower end stuff. No I'm not talking about the plastic shells with seams, those are so bad they don't even get factored in to any conversation about helmets.

17. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

I sure hope that they are top quality.......I just bought one....but haven't received it yet.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW the new ones haven't stood out in any way with regard to crashes I see - and that's a very good thing.

19. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

After suffering a fairly serious concussion in 2005 with a Shoei RF900, I swore that I would never buy another Snell rated helmet and only wore ones that were DOT rated. Of course, I'm talking about the standard at the time....SNELL 2005. Since the new SNELL 2010 standard is very similar to the DOT standard, I am once again going to buy a SNELL rated helmet because I feel that it is much safer than the previous versions and..........I really like the looks of the Spies Monster Replica. If SNELL had not changed their standard and kept the same foam "hardness" which, in my opinion, transferred to much energy from an impact, to the skull, I would still not be buying a SNELL rated helmet of any kind, no matter how good it looked.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Then you wouldn't be racing because no matter how much the bs articles harped on it being harder - in a racing impact DOT only isn't near enough....