1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military guys, am I crazy for wanting to go Enlisted as an E4 over Officer??

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Teuton, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Teuton

Teuton Well-Known Member

Seeing as there are a number of Military guys on here I figured this would be an appropriate place to ask this.

Im 23 and about to graduate college with a BS. Ive been thinking this over for years now and Im about to Enlist in the Army as an E4 infantryman and then apply for OCS later down the road. I figure Ill put in a couple years and work my way up to an E5 or even E6 and then get my gold once Im truly ready to lead other soldiers. I do realize there are many benefits of being an Officer over Enlisted and at 23 I will be taking orders from kids younger than me (which really doesn't bother me). My recruiter tells me that if I go OCS right out of school the Army will choose for me what I will be doing. I do not want to end up pushing pencils behind a desk somewhere, Im going into the Military to blow shit up (hope that doesnt sound too ignorant), if I wanted some administrative job I would find one in the civilian world and make more money. Im looking to make a career out of the Army so time is not an issue. Also Im not concerned about the pay difference either, like I said if I wanted a job to make money I would find one in the civilian world.

So what do you guys think?? Am I stupid for doing this?? Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Wow, very interesting question.

When I enlisted in 1980, I had 2 years of college, so I didn't quite have your option. At the time, and for the first 6 months I would have said go officer for sure. I went Coast Guard, and I did it because I loved the water. 9 months into my enlistment I was an E4 and the Captain of a Coast Guard 41' patrol boat...the dream job for me and the reason I joined in the first place.

Now, as you have found out, as you move up the duties that you have are different. If I advanced to E5, then I would have been an OOD and removed from my duties with the boat. I knew that the Coast Guard was a 4 year plan for me. If I was making it a career I would have moved up as quickly as possible. But I joined to drive a boat, and that is what I did.

If you are going to make a career of it, I would go the OCS route. If this is a one hitch enlistment, then do what you enjoy.

My .02.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

$.02...

you'll shoot yourself in the foot.

as an e4, your subordinates will expect you to know more than they do and your seniors will expect you to know what you're doing. when they find out neither is true, pull the trigger...save yourself the indignation of being thought an idtio.

as an officer, no one believes they know anything anyway...at least not for their first couple o' years. do well by the enlisteds, they'll back you up. the other zeros, er, officers will give you shit at the officer's club and that's where it stays. (enlisted rumors spread in quantum leaps).

officers are expected to be gentlemen. they'll be discreet about any fuck-ups. enlisted? they'll laugh in your face...even allow you to make a fool of yourself if you come off as one of those arrogant fucks...you know, ring knockers(academy grads).

go officer. making any other choice would be viewed as completely fucking stupid. if you're worth a shit, you'll get an assignment that suits you. and, if you don't like it, quit. enlisteds aren't offered that option.

'course, my time has long been gone. the service might be even more pc these days.
    oh, the horror.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Just get EVERYTHING in writing. Not that it means sh@t but do it anyways.

5. wrparrish

wrparrish Well-Known Member

Depends on how dedicated you really are.

If your strong on PT, and you do well at OCS, you have a solid chance of getting Infantry. If you get another branch, you can put your time in and work on your fieldcraft and soldier skills and wait until your a first lieutenant promotable, or a captain, and put in your packet for selection to Special Forces.

I would do that, if you make it through selection you will get to have the high adventure kind of life your looking for. Your odds of doing anything cool as a line infantry platoon leader are decent, but if you want to constantly be doing missions that have some sort of entertainment value, you have to leave regular army.

You need to really understand the culture of the Infantry, especially that of the lower enlisted, before you commit to living within it. Its a strange world.

Do your research, on your own. Make the decision for yourself. No one here can ever truly understand your personal motivations, or whats going to make you happy.

6. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Go in as an officer.

7. Scot M

Scot M Well-Known Member

Ask the recruiter if they still have the 18x Special Forces program. If your going to join as an enlisted guy, dont screw around for a few years in the infantry when you could possible go straight to the big leagues. If you have any question regarding Special Forces please contact me! I've been an SF guy going on 22 years!

8. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

First of all me thinks your recruiter is FOS if he told you that. Sounds like he just wants to get you hooked up and sent off to basic. Even Officers get to choose their career path so you may want to speak with an actual Officer before you make your decision.

What is your degree in? If it is in a technical field you may want to go the Warrant Officer route, which can be the best of both worlds. As a WO you'll get to go to the Officer's Club, along with the better pay over enlisted. But you will also get the respect of the enlisted guys who will work for you, being the expert in your field.

Either way you go you'll get leadership training. You can be a good leader as an NCO, WO, or regular Officer.

9. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

Go in as an Officer. Don't short yourself.

10. JD¹³

JD¹³ Turbo Slow

+1 for officer.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is a long time to be crazy :D

12. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

That's why they're "Special". :D

13. Teuton

Teuton Well-Known Member

the more and more people I talk to about this are all telling me I would be crazy not to go Officer. I do have a small dilemma, Im German born but Im a permanent resident and have been in the States for over 10 years. To be an Officer you have to be a citizen, does anyone know what the process is like to become a citizen?? If its anything like the greencard process which is absolutely fucking ridicoulous (took my family and I 8 years to obtain greencards and my father employees over 30 Americans) then becoming officer is out of the question until I get my citizenship through the Army. From what I have read it takes 5 years after you get your greencard before you can apply for citizenship. In that case I would have to wait another 2 years.

14. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

15. Teuton

Teuton Well-Known Member

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hard-f@ckin'-core!!!! :up:

17. ofcounsel

ofcounsel Above the Law

No question: Go in as an officer rather than E-4.

Listen carefully: Your enlisted recruiter's job is to get you enlisted. He could give a rats ass about you becoming an officer. He doesn't get credit for recruiting an officer. Only enlisted guys.

Talk to an officer recruiter before you jump in as an E-4.

18. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Your recruiter is full of shit. He needs your enlistment for his quota. You going to OCS doesn't help him at all. He's thinking about himself and that's all. I wouldn't even work with that recruiter again.

Like others mentioned, don't make a move without talking to an officer recruiter. He can get you the info regarding the citizenship, etc.

19. Turbo storm

Turbo storm Well-Known Member

Officer or look into the Warrant officer route...W.O is the best of both worlds.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Thank you for considering service to your adopted country. That said, if long term post service benefits are a factor, the folks in DC are looking at potential reductions in that arena. At least I heard a report on the radio this AM mentioning the burden of pensions and benefits to the 20 and out folks. May pass, may not, just keep in mind that no promise from DC is forever.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011