1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

custom leather suit recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by zeroice, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I have a helimot that I like but I think my next suit will be a pilot. I'm lucky that I can also find off the rack suits that fit well. Currently rotating a couple spyke suits.

2. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I just realized we've actually spoken, at Chuckwhole last May. I was pitted behind you without an FM radio.

3. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

Do you have a link to the Pro suit? I've looked on thier site and the only thing that mentions the Pro suit is thier on line mag from several months ago....

4. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I'm partial to Barnacle Bills stuff, it's served me well although he keeps fussing at me that it's time for a new suit (I agree). I ride a lot of days per year and he built the one I've got back in 2002! Yeah, it's had a few repairs from some dumb moments I had but everything was pretty minor stuff, never any major failures.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I can give a personal thumbs up for Syed, although I'm sure there are lots of great custom suits out there.

It was nice for me because they are located physically close to me and I could go in for a fitting (from the guy making my suit), pick it up in person and look it over with the maker, take it back for repairs, etc., etc.

My wife got a custom Vanson jacket, and it was a little tough to get your own measurements correct (in a way that was mutually understood between you and the leather maker), and it took shipping an off the rack jacket and sending photos of the fit to make sure it was done right.

Yes, Vanson went the extra mile to do all that, and the jacket is great, so I'd recommend them, but close is nice!

But now the big question... You employer is buying you a custom set of leathers!? My employer grudgingly bought me a cell phone... What's up with that? :D

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

try the rs taichi before you go custom.
    while i would think alpinestar was on par with rs taichi, the rs taichi does seem to be sized for bodies with less mass, as it were.

i've had dianese and fieldsheer off the shelf - both too short in the hip to knee length. i've had custom sized z-custom and vanson - both too loose all around which is bad when you hit the ground. currently, i have alpinestar - off the shelf, fit like a glove. i didn't skimp on the any of these leathers as it had to do with levels of protection, etc. they were all topline versions of each brand.

at 5'11" and 175, i'm too thick for rs taichi. otherwise, i would own them and not the alpinestar. i'd never bother with a custom suit again.

7. zeroice

zeroice crotchrocketroadracer

Yeah, we make brakes for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, bicycles, etc. Being an engineer in the testing group, we carry out all the testing, including riding.

Check out our website:
    http://www.hbpsi.com
    bicycle group (they have a cooler image)
    testing video (bicycle group)

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

crash test dummy...that's a job i could enjoy. :D

9. racertex

racertex vintage dude

Eddie,

Enlighten me on how the RS Taichi construction process is superior to Dainese, Astars, H eroic, Syed, Vanson, Pilot, REV'IT!, etc, etc, etc...

10. MC Power House

MC Power House www.mphbikes.com

Dainese offer custom suits as well.

Just wanna throw that in the mix...

11. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

The higher end RS Taichi suits use large complete panels and screen print the graphics on. For instance, the back has a left and right panel, with a hump and neck yoke. The front has a left and right side, so no graphics stitched in. Simple construction makes for easy repair and alteration. The quality of their leather is awesome and supple.

As far as construction process it's basic good construction, nothing fancy.

I know your a Rev'It! guy, and I also highly recommend the Rev'It! products for any rider wanting a euro cut suit. Personally, I think it's one of the nicer suits on the market and really enjoy working on them. Aesthetically they are super cool looking as well. The down side is that the engineering on Rev'It! suits is quite advanced, so alterations get to be a bit of a challenge.

12. tazrider

tazrider Greenwood Racing Wera 71

I personally love Arlen Ness. They crash well and fit great! You can get some god deals on closeouts (if the year doesnt matter) and have a local guy fit it for comfort. The price has come down over the years.

13. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Ok, admittedly, my employer doesn't require me to determine which brakes have a defective design :)eek:), so I guess they might be on the right track not buying me custom motorcycle gear.

Still, I kinda wish they hadn't bought me the cell phone... Custom leathers don't ring in the middle of the night... ;)

Cool job! :up:

14. Will mine come with "ALAN" written on them ? :Poke:

or slybacon ? lol

15. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

I have a set of pilot leathers. They are great. I wore them all summer with no issues.

16. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

cloth panels

Alexa have you noticed that most of the suits are using cloth panels with no kevlar threads woven in them? just got through working on a high end Dainiese that just had plain cotton/polyester blend fabric in all the stretch panels . I expect it from some of the cheaper imports but not the higher end brands. I post pics of the repair on Barnacle Bill's Leather Repair on facebook . I guess before you lay your money down ask the right questions. b bill and darethea

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Really? That's just ASS! Thanks for the head's up, Barnacle Bill type dude.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nope, just saw it on their website a few months back and thought they were cool. They never appeared in their shop so I just figured they were special order only or prototype.
    There are a couple of people here on the board tight with them, maybe they can chime in?

19. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

I had to have mine altered to fit my biceps...everywhere else was perfect. Alexa fixed the arms for me and it fits like a custom

20. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

I'm saying Pilot.....I've had my custom for 3 years now, and I had an ambulance worthy highside at close to 100 last year in it and it worked awesome. I wear that same suit today.

Great service. I'll be getting another.