1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

custom leather suit recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by zeroice, Aug 10, 2011.

1. zeroice

zeroice crotchrocketroadracer

Hi there,
    I've never had the opportunity to own a set of custom leathers. Finally the day has come to order a set as my company is willing to pay for it. That said, budget is around $1200~1800 (not actually sure what the budget is but somewhere in that zone).

Can you folks please recommend some custom suit manufacturers and why I should go with them? I know Vanson makes some of the best stuff, but what else is out there? Why would you choose them? Quality? Fit? Style? Comfort? Price?

Thanks in advance,
    Krishna

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What are YOU looking for in a suit?

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I'm sure you can find some great reviews about :):):):):):) leathers around here, somewhere. :D

4. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

5. sowega

sowega #710

I talked to Todd from H eroic at Barber earlier in the summer. Seemed like a stand up guy who may corner low. When I start shopping for a custom suit in the offseason, I will most likely go with him.

6. zeroice

@Dave K

I'm looking for safety and comfort. Primarily going to be used for motorcycle testing of braking events at all speeds. Spills do happen even with out-riggers.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Really, most of the major custom brands won't do you wrong. Z custom, Komodo, Barnacle Bills, Vanson (can get real expensive with options), Syed, Pilot. . .

8. socal

socal Well-Known Member

9. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Every suit I've seen has looked well built. I have a Syed suit since their shop is about 45 minutes from my house. If I lived next to Vanson I'd probably have one of those and so on... Which 600 should you get? Aren't they all about the same?

10. zeroice

@SaferMoto

Tried calling Pilot / Insurrection Racing. They seem to only be open Fri-Sun... Any idea on the cost range?

Thanks!

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I had a custom Kushitani suit a couple years back and it was great. However, I would look at RS Taichi. They have both US and Japanese sizes to choose from, so you can get very close to spot-on sizing. It's what I wear now and it's just as good of a fit (technically better in the construction of how it's made) compared to anything else I've worn.

You could always fine tweak any small things via Alexa or someone who does alterations, but I'd try a couple of their suits on and see how they fit. You might be surprised.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I was just at the Syed shop (in Orlando) yesterday while here in Tampa. I'm considering Syed and Barnacle Bill for my pending custom suit purchase.

13. YellowRacer

YellowRacer I can pass this guy...

RS Taichi makes, hands down the best leathers in the industry...

http://www.rs-taichi.com/

Cannot beat the quality or price.

14. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I really like my psi suit. Ti protection in shoulders and elbows.

15. zeroice

I guess the only reason I'm going with a custom suit is because I've had trouble with off the shelf suits. I'm 6 feet tall and 155 lb in weight - marathon runner build so I'm pretty thin. I've owned 3 off the rack suits and to get the to fit snug but not tight, they are too short - I have long legs, arms, and torso. Maybe I can get an off the rack suit altered?... We'll see.

16. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I really like 2nd hand Kushitani's, maybe I'll try an RS Taichi next time :D

17. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

ACT Leathers.

Andy is awesome. His pricing is great. He goes 5 extra steps to make sure you're happy...and he is a huge supporter of racers all over the place.

Andy is just a nice, humble guy who takes great pride in his product.

http://www.actracing.com/

18. Parr

Parr Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with Barnacle Bill - good quality, great service and followup, and hell of a nice guy.

19. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

thanks Michael

actually if his employer is buying the suit I would go ahead and get the custom in whatever brand suits my fancy. shop around for the best price though for the new suit market is pretty tight right now . take into consideration the time frame that most of these suits will be made off shore and if you need a tweak or alteration you'll be seeking out someone local to do it . we're doing a lot of those for several different "importers" these days . if you do go with an off the rack get the length right and you can take it in. better to take it up than let it out. a zip out liner and removable armor is a great help too + less cost to modify and easier to repair too. if the suit has those imitation pewter colored metal zippers in it just hang it back on the rack . we've been replacing a lot of those lately . the best to all . b bill and darethea :up:

20. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I'd go with Syed. Some racers don't like them because they are heavy due to a lot of doubled up leather etc. But, if you're going to be falling off the bike, they'll hold up (trust me.) A custom set will run you about $1200.00.