1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Stalling Once Warm

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Razorboy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Hey All,

2008 R6.

When the bike is cold, it starts up and idles fine. Once its warmed or partially warmed, it will start but will stall immediately if you release the throttle. If you manually keep the revs up for a bit, it will finally start to idle again. Sounds like its running a little rough when you do this though.

Does this sound like a TPS problem?
    Just wondering if anyone else has encountered the same issue.

Cheers
    Bernie

2. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

I've had something similar happen to my 08.

Sometimes I would start it, temp would reach 125+, and I would go a short distance and shut it off. Upon restart, it would not idle. It would take a bit of throttle while cranking to get it to start and then some throttle to keep it running.

Happens intermittently and not all the time. For the most part, it doesn't happen all that often, but it has become annoying. 5k miles on the bike ... all stock.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

any codes thrown on the dash?

4. wortdog

wortdog Active Member

My 06 has almost this exact same behavior, was that way when I bought it a few years ago. It doesn't seem to affect anything once its running. No codes at all.

It has a Graves full exhaust, PC3 with a slightly tweaked Graves map, and a BMC filter.

5. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

No, no codes

6. parapuke

parapuke Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with an 08. Put a YEC ECU in and bumped up the idle and no more problems.

7. juno

juno Well-Known Member

I have the exact setup...and I was having stalling issues after bike was warmed up.

After some testing, turns out the battery was bad. Apparently the stator doesn't make much power below 2500rpms. It's an easy test and a quick fix. If that is the issue, worth a shot.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  8. cbreakin

cbreakin Well-Known Member

^This. I've had the same problem with my 06 and a friend's 07, both times it was caused by a bad/low battery.

9. c7fx

c7fx Well-Known Member

Yes and these bikes will sputter at WOT with a bad battery. I chased fuel pumps,TPS, Plugs etc until we tested the battery and found that it was only 70%. New Battery and all those problems went away.

10. Windshield

Windshield Well-Known Member

My friend, with the same bike, purchased the same day, has a weak battery and bump starts his bike often. Never has he had an idling/stalling problem. It's definitely odd.

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Check for a pinched fuel line yet?

12. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

You wouldn't happen to have a Votex gas cap would ya?