1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford recalls 1.1M pickup for gas tank problem

Discussion in 'General' started by panthercity, Aug 1, 2011.

1. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

People who don't take care of their vehicles should lose them in a fire, works for me :D

3. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Ford = Fire, nothing new..... :p

4. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Yep. If you're good at something, stick with it :up:
    Cheers, lee S.

5. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Hmm. I wonder if my 01 F150 is covered.

6. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Looks likely.

7. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Seriously, how many people "maintain" the gas tank mounting straps on their pickups? I don't think that task is covered on any scheduled maintenance checklist...

8. repsol600

repsol600 Well-Known Member

it says 97-04 trucks in cold weather states. it says that its the straps that hold the tank up is what there recalling because the salt is rusting them out. seems to me thats not anything new on any vehicles in our snowy states, every tank ive dropped lately on any make or model the straps are toast

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

By maintain in this case I mean wash/rinse the salt off the truck during the winter - including underneath. Guess I'm just a weird person who never wanted my stuff to rust out. If I'm up north during the winter I wash my vehicles to keep them properly maintained.

10. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

The new road salt is an order of magnitude worse than the stuff we grew up with. I think every OEM has had to take measures. Ford does some weird things engineering-wise but I don't hold this one against them. I sure this seemed like a good solution before this salt came on the scene.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, the new stuff is way worse - even more reason to make absolutely sure you don't let it stay on your vehicle any longer than necessary.

12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid: And it's not just the gas tank straps. My 01 F350 has gone real fast in the last yr, drivers side rear fender has a hole about 2'' wide and a foot long in it. Now that I can see thru the fender there's a strip of some kind of fabric / felt looking stuff in the inner lip of the sheet metal. What the f@#$ did they put that in there for ? To help hold the moisture and salt :confused:

13. dom

dom Dom-N-Ator Racing

i guess you are one of those guys that didn't want to wash their car.

14. Putter

I wash my truck constantly in the winter and I still found a rust spot this spring. Maybe I can borrow some money from Mongo and buy that King Ranch I have always wanted.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't have money, I have credit :D

16. Putter

Yeah, me too and I gotta keep my ass out of the dealerships. This whole rust thing isn't sitting well. :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm sure. It would bug the hell out of me.

18. brother_ed7

brother_ed7 brother_ed7

A wire brush, some WD-40 and a pair of safety goggles....

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

All I have to add is, don't follow F-150s closely.

20. tz_eric

tz_eric Well-Known Member

Any of you fellas got a link to a video showing how to wash a vehicle when it's below zero? Y'all make it sound real easy.

I spent a couple winters in Duluth, MN. When it doesn't get above zero for weeks at a time, you don't wash nuthin. That's just how it is. In Jan '92 we had a stretch of 21 days straight where it never got above zero.