1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06 r6 flat spot at 4500 rpm

Discussion in 'Tech' started by bldg636, Jul 17, 2011.

1. bldg636

bldg636 Well-Known Member

I have a strange flat spot that seems to be present in all gears right around 4500 rpm . . . I have to twist the throttle more than i should to get through this flat spot . . . at the flat spot there is no acceleration and the bike seems to hesitate in this range until i twist the throttle even harder to get through it . . . I only notice it when I'm slowly accelerating . .. . . when I launch from a stop I barely notice it . . . Any ideas as to what this is? I thought it was the map, but I reloaded the map from powercommander and same issue . . . Please let me know if any ideas . . . . On another note, when I plug my computer into my PC3, the throttle position was showing 100%, even when closed, I tried to recalibrate it, but it is not reading any changes in throttle position, regardless of how open or closed the throttle is . . . please help!

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Go directly to the tuning notes on page 3 HERE... I had the same problem with mine at cruising speeds, well that, and absolutely no pulling power at around 8-8500rpm...Remember the tach is optimistic on those models too, you could actually be at 3,500 rpm for all I know on them. I recently sold my '06 R6 track-bike because I got tired of tossing money at that issue. I really wish I had more help for ya on this issue.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

why for heavens sake would you have an r6 anwhere near 4,500 rpm, except warming it up on stands with warmers? Are you riding it on the street? And yes, the 06-07 is weak mid range compared to the 03-05 and 08+
    For track duty, even from the green flag it should be launched around 8-9k? and from there you really need to keep it no lower than that even in slower corners. It has a longer 1st gear than previous models, so some riders were gearing the bike to use 1st in tight/hairpin turns.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

1 tooth off the front sprocket and adding 1 in the rear seems to solve the problem on a stock bike.
    Though... I have no idea why someone would want to ride an r6 at such pedestrian RPM levels. I laugh everytime I see one on the street. I have to catch my breath when I see one with a longer swingarm on it.

Great track bike but poor streetbike.

5. bldg636

bldg636 Well-Known Member

Yes, I of course understand that I should never be in this range on the track, which i'm not, but when giving it a little test ride up and down my block i noticed this issue. Since I bought the bike with a "custom" map already loaded, it raises some questions in my head as to what hackjob dyno tech might have made the map in the first place . . . I'm going to get it re-dyno'ed tomorrow to make sure the map is solid . . .. Anyone have any idea on why the throttle position isn't responding on the computer?

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Not necessarily a hack job, that flat spot is very characteristic of that model. You can smooth it somewhat, but you have to spend a whole lot of time working on an rpm/throttle position that you only use pulling it into your garage, so why? If you listen to R6s being warmed up on pit road at most racetracks, you'll hear the hesitation.

TPS won't respond with the bike not running...and it is unpredictable in response when the engine is running. Remember that it's a fly-by-wire system. You turn the throttle and the ECU decides how much of that it is going to let you have. Holding the throttle wide open with the stock ECU will never provide you with 100% actual throttle. This makes it relatively difficult to tune part throttle on the dyno.

7. rico750

rico750 Well-Known Member

lol, took the words right out of my mouth.
    yep..i tried one time riding the r6 on the street.. but cruising at 9k is :down: