1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SHOREI ? Batteries

Discussion in 'Tech' started by iomTT, Jul 8, 2011.

1. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Have I got the name write, whats the deal with them?

2. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

they are mega lightweight and pretty good i guess...my friend uses one....i saw shawn higbee selling them at chuckwalla but they seemed a bit pricey....then again i never really looked into a light weight battery before.

3. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Thanks mate, I have just found there web site and read up on them. I am now an officuall user of them here in New Zealand, due here after the 25th of this month for my GSXR 600

4. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

:beer:.....right on bud....you should do a review on it when you get it

5. Indetrucks

Indetrucks Well-Known Member

I got a Shorai in my 1st Gen SV650 Race Bike that's on a total loss system.
    I also have the Shorai specific charger for it while between races / storage.

Battery is SUPER light and cranks MUCH faster than any standard battery. It's "about" 6lbs lighter than the battery I removed and it cranks the bike up quickly and effortlessly.

Granted the 1st gen SV's are carbs and not injected, the battery will easily last 5+ practices and 2+ sprint races without a charge. If I had a second gen, I might be singing a diff. song though.

I do have the charger that stores at a .75A rate and charges at a 2.0A rate (when needed though).
    I love it and bang for buck, hands down over any carbon fiber bits as far as weight savings goes.

6. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

I just put the Ballistic 4cell in my 1st gen SV, charging system still in tack. Loving it so far. Bike starts quick, and I was able to move most the electronics around under the tail into one nice little package. I also stripped wire harness.

7. loudog

loudog ...inside the van.

I have a Shorai in my 2nd gen SV and I dig it. Cranks strong, super light, comes with foam padding to get the fit right. Good price compared to the competition too. I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

8. steadyeddie

steadyeddie Well-Known Member

I've got 2, with a 3rd on order. $ per pound it is a cheap way to loose some weight. $153, 6 lbs = $25 per pound. Carbon wheels; $4000, 18 lbs = $222 per pound.

9. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

I don't think their that expensive considering their weight, more powerful, last longer, an use stock leads. I've seen other batteries of the same type costing double. I ordered directly from Shorai. Using in my street/track 1098 and will order one for my other street bike when the lead acid quits.

10. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

I have the 4 cell (they have 8, 12 and 16 cell batteries as well) MOTY Battery www.motydesign.com on my CBR600RR street bike, light, cheap, and I havent had any issues with it.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

While I don't disagree they are a cheap way to lose weight (I have a Shorai in my bike as well). Comparing 6 lbs lost from where the battery is located (probably the most centrally located point on the bike), to losing 6 lbs from the rotating unsprung weight of the wheels is 2 completely different balls of yarn.

12. steadyeddie

steadyeddie Well-Known Member

OK, maybe a bad example. How about Ti bolts. 20 bolts, average $12 each = $240. Weight savings maybe 1/4 pound. Comes to $1000 per pound. My point is that at $25/lb it is a cheap way to loose weight. And the bonus is it is a quality product.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  13. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

How are you getting away with a battery designed for a single cylinder bike in a 600rr? According to their site you need this http://www.motydesign.com/8cell_prod.php at $160 and I'd need atleast the $250 unit maybe even the $350 unit for a 1098. Seems like Shorai still takes the cake!

14. crikey

crikey Well-Known Member

Magic ;)

What can I say, the one I purchased was recommended by the shop I bought it from for the application I was using it for, street CBR600RR. By 'large V-twin motorcycle' they may be talking about a Harley which needs a lot more CCA than a 1098. I just went with what was suggested and havent had a problem with it at all