1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Dog problems: what to do

Discussion in 'General' started by Flex Axlerod, Jul 4, 2011.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This works too. I used to have a pitbull that would come over and bother my dogs. Once I started throwing/shooting firecrackers at it, it didn't feel so welcome.

2. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

neighborhood dog when I grew up used to try to protect us from bottlerockets and firecrackers - he'd bite them. Even if they burned him or went off in his mouth.

Labs are loyal, and just smart enough to get in trouble.

3. vance

vance *

If you're comfortable with killing the dog, and have warned the owner, then so be it.
    If the owner isn't rational about securing the dog after you've complained, then it's unlikely he will be rational after you kill his dog. Based on just that one fact, I would guess there's no way this ends with the two of you grillin' and eating burgers.
    You've got to be prepared for the aftermath of an irrational asshole who has just been wronged by you because you killed his dog without good reason (in his world, anyway).
    Getting married curbed my blind rage. You've got to be careful when you've got something that someone can f#ck with. Can't stay with your wife, kids, pets, house 24/7.
    Find another solution.:up:

4. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

big dog

know what you mean. I have a pit bull mix that has been chasing me most rides the last month. last week when he started to chase me I whistled and called him to come on to me. he stopped dead in his tracks and looked at me funny. no problems since. but he's a smallish dog and not real bad tempered. some rotty's could tear your leg off if they wanted too . call the sheriff or animal control to talk to the owner . every county has a dog warden . leave the gun at home for target practice . you'd be surprized how many people have been killed over dogs . probably moe than over women . just my 2 cents . b bill

ps. if you can call the owners property insurance provider. they will be very iinterested too.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

One more thing. Granted, I don't let my dogs run loose or encourage them to chase bicyclists, but if anyone shot one of my dogs for anything other than mauling a child (which they'd never do) they'd better enter the witness protection program because I'd be out for blood.

6. dom

dom Dom-N-Ator Racing

plus we would hate to see you be arrested for killing a dog.

7. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Update:
    Wow, you just never know what you are going to get in this type of situation. This one was full of surprises:

1. The dog is not a big mean boy but rather a girl, named Petunia of all things.
    2. The dog is a pussycat and more gentle than any of my Beagles.
    3. The dog could care less if you are walking, running, or in a car but she finds bicycles and especially my Zuma irresistible.
    4. If she catches you she does nothing. It is over to her at that point.
    5. The owner is one of the nicest guys I have ever chatted with in my life. Once the tension melted away as we both realized that we have our level heads on today, it went great. He is more than willing to work with Pentunia and me to get her more used to my passing by the area. He was much more amiable today than when I talked to him (angry) in the past.
    6. She is getting out on her own, using brute strength to open the gate.
    7. I now have a new friend in the neighborhood.

He really needs to work on making her more secure just in the interest of keeping her safe but the guy recognizes this and the other issues.

I expected an a-hole; I got a pretty nice guy who cares about the issue as much as me. Go figure. I learned something on the fourth of July.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So what happened? You went back with pepper spray and stopped to wait for her when she started chasing?

9. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

glad it worked out. Didn't expect it to, pleasantly surprised, like you.

10. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Pussy. Punch it in the face.

11. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Well-Known Member

I give my UPS guy a bag of dog treats( couple times a year), he tosses some out every time he passes the house. Now the dogs hear him coming and wait at the end of the drive to get some.

12. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I left out one detail. Most of our fences around here are cobbled together waiting for our insurance companies to approve claims from a huge storm. Some people are good at temporarily fixing their fence, this guy is not. The dog has strength that far outweighs his engineering ability. I will help him with that if I can.

This really has turned out well.

BTW, I seriously doubt I would shoot a dog unless it was actively eating me. I was just pretty pissed when I first posted since the adrenaline was flowing like water. That dog looks REAL scary, especially to a guy who knows nothing about non-hounds.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  13. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I would hate to wait until the dog reaches me to find out if it was going to bite me or not :D

14. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Suggestion. A law is being broken. Use law enforcement for what it is intended. Anything of a self help nature you do may end up with you and not the errant dog owner in the cross hairs. Just sayin.

I got chomped by a dobie and got the animal control involved in major fine etc. , and it was never repeated...

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

That's what I do too, I've only had one dog not back down, that was a medium sized pit that I beat like a rented mule. Glad it worked out well for you!!!!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Congratulations on handling that extremely well, Mr. Corder.

17. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest a nice light weight, well armored set of Heroic Racing Leathers... :crackup:

18. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Serious question. Do you know why that dog chases you?

Answer: Because every time he does, it works, you flee and he "wins".

Make friends with the dog. Bring him a treat and get to know him and he"ll run up to you all happy and shit with tail wagging when he sees you because he likes you. It'll take a few times but not many. Or... get off the bike and run directly at him snarling and snapping and he'll back down because you're bigger and meaner. Either will work.

Another suggestion... just use him for interval training.

19. cNYnCArvr

cNYnCArvr A little bit of this...

Growing up my neighbors Rotty would get out and chase us if we were outside playing. I'd stop and play with it. They also had a toy poodle that would be right behind the Rotty most times,I'd have to climb a tree to get away from that psycho dog.

20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Have a shepherd that chases me on my route, and I took your approach and just built up speed to avoid, but sometimes he gets the angle and a meeting is inevitable.

And as some have stated, usually just stopping and confronting , yelling fixes it. Not this guy, he wants some in a serious way, and of late is nipping at my calfs. This is in the country.

So I call the guy and he gives me the lines of "use mace, take a different route" I explain it`s an animal, and his responsibility to keep off the road, all in a calm, productive way.

His final reply? "Well, he`s got his shots":eek:

So not sure where this is heading; I love dogs. But I`m tired of people that think they are a priority over or have the rights of people.

Maybe the law, you hate to wait to be bit to take action.