Is a boat worth the hassle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Skits, Jun 20, 2011.

1. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

oh those were lots of work. Yep learned what a v drive was and pretty much the same as you pack berrings, etc. My dad was never a drinker, but would rather just over-see our navigation around the lakes.

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

This sounds like a winner to me. Do the math on how many YEARS you could have access to a boat for the cost of owning one.

Then remind yourself that you won't guzzle gas towing anything, won't have to pay for a slip, aren't responsible for any of the maintenance, etc.

My friend is marrying a suckubus from Florida in September. She's hell-bent on owning a boat after they're married. We looked into splitting a tow vehicle that I could use for the track, and he could use for the boat, so I gained some insight into what the boat was projected to cost them... yikes.

Rent one for a weekend and drop a couple grand between fees and gas? Sure. Sign me up. But I don't think I'd ever own one.

3. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I almost started a this thread about 2 months ago. A friend got a Supra wakeboard boat and after seeing all of the fun they were having on Facebook my wife decided to go with them. Long story short her and the kids had a ball.

We can be at the water in about 15 minutes and there is secure covered storage 2 minutes from the dock...for the low low price of $900/year. I kinda like the idea of it too so I looked at a new version of what they got, it's a 2006. It started at $75,000 :eek::eek::eek::eek: and quickly went up from there.

We found some good looking used ones but in the end decided buying the beer and chipping in on gas for our friends boat would be way cheaper. So far the only weekend we haven't been out on it since was when it was in the shop getting something fixed in the motor to the tune of $1,200.

My advice...find a friend with one and buy lots of beer and gas :up:

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Boat: (n) A hole in the top of the water you pour money into.

:D

5. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

We are about 90 miles from Lake Powell and renting is much less than the true cost of ownership. I get a nice Bayliner (kind of an oxymoron) Sea Ray or Yamaha jet boat any time I want for a fair price. Ditto for the PWC. Renting 4 or 5 time a year is great.

6. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Fantastic advice.... and be very generous so they keep inviting you back:up:

We have a friend with a NICE (couple of hundered grand...) houseboat on Lake Powell and when we go with him and his wife they absolutely can't spend a dime.

7. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

No.

8. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Advice:
    If it Flies, Floats, or Fucks, rent it don't buy it

9. bo1142

bo1142 Dr. Mantis Toboggan

For me it is a yes, but I'm 5 minutes from 2 lakes, and have 2 more 15 minutes away. I grew up on the lake, and I want my kids to have that same experience. For me, the memories are worth the up keep. But, I can see how some people would get frustrated. If I lived more than 30 minutes away, there is no way I could own one.

10. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

The best boat is your best friend's boat. :)

As a non-boat owner, I'd say get it! I love being out on the water. Never owned one myself, but have had many close friends with boats (seriously that's the base case).

If you keep up with the maintenance, you'll avoid a LOT of the headaches that many boat owners complain about.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The oldest boat owner's joke:

What are the two best days in boat ownership?

The day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Enjoy. :D

12. teamneon

teamneon Well-Known Member

we got a steal on a 19' VIP ski boat 3 years ago and even tho we replaced the lower unit at $1500 its still worth it.
    Its small enough we can use the 4 runner to pull it up to the lake just to ski and watch the sunset, or hammer down 2 full weekends tubing with the kids on a tank of gas.

13. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Get a jet boat! Really! I have a 07 yamaha 21 ft jet boat. Great investment, doesn't break down every other weekend like a prop, low maintenance. Change the oil every year, spark plugs every other. Sent the impellers to island racing this year to be re-pitched(I couldn't help it). Go to yamaha jet boaters.com and poke around the forum. I quit going out with people and their prop boats. Got tired of waiting while they fixed them or towing them back. Just sayin

14. Garyb425

Garyb425 Well-Known Member

If you do the math you'll find that you can generally rent a boat for less than owning unless you plan on using it constantly.

I didn't grow up on boats and wouldn't personally use one more than a couple of times a year so it would be wasted on me, but seriously, do the math.

15. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Get a canoe.

16. Skits

Skits Well-Known Member

The only nice lake around is an hour away. Figuring just the cost of a decent used boat and storage, renting seems the way to go. Rentals are about $250 per day, we can go 6 times a year for the price of storage and insurance. Thanks for the advice, all.

17. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Boats are like bikes. If you have it in your blood, you will own one no matter what the hassle.

If it's just something you kinda like to do, you'll lose interest fast as the money adds up.

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

COMPLETE BS...:down:

Thats only for the Lake Squids that only show up on Labor Day, The 4th and Memorial Day...and then go home for the year...

I have used and abused my 1990 Mastercraft.. Just put over 1100 hours on it.. The best days have been between 1990 this moment... Hard to beleive this babys 21 Years Old... I have done everything myself... Winterizing... Props, Drive shafts, Tune Ups.. Carb Rebuilds ect.... I wouldnt have changed a thing...

[​IMG]

19. The CHAD

The CHAD Well-Known Member

I have a 08 SX230... Love the boat! The other plus to yamaha boats is the dual motors, if one WAS to break down you can still get home on the other motor, not to mention the dual throttle cables (sea-do jet boats have dual motors also but operate from one throttle cable so if it were to break you are still stuck.

20. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist